• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help virus (1 Viewer)

*hopeful*

HSC
omg i've completely wrecked my pc
i used pc anti virus tools and it picked up a massive amount of virus/trojans/etc and upon 'healing the infection' and removing these files i have no desktop

now when i put my comp on it says loading windows xp like normal and then it goes onto desktop but nothings there, absolutely nothing, i can get task manager to open and it shows that there are no applications running

how do i fix this.....is it even fixable ???

michael1990

HSC
*hopeful* said:
omg i've completely wrecked my pc
i used pc anti virus tools and it picked up a massive amount of virus/trojans/etc and upon 'healing the infection' and removing these files i have no desktop

now when i put my comp on it says loading windows xp like normal and then it goes onto desktop but nothings there, absolutely nothing, i can get task manager to open and it shows that there are no applications running

how do i fix this.....is it even fixable ???
Do you mean that there is no icons on the desktop?

Can you access the start menu?

Can you access control panel and such?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Reinstall Windows XP Pro, and format your harddrive as well.

Put your windows disk in, boot from it, follow the on screen instructions, format your harddrive, install windows, and install drivers for everything, then install Warcraft III and Dota and you've fixed your computer.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
*hopeful* said:
adware costs money to delete the virus files ??!

according to it i have 200+ bad files including backdoors, trojans and worms
so is it a good idea to put credit card details and register and adware ??
lol.

Its a scam :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
foram said:
Reinstall Windows XP Pro, and format your harddrive as well.

Put your windows disk in, boot from it, follow the on screen instructions, format your harddrive, install windows, and install drivers for everything, then install Warcraft III and Dota and you've fixed your computer.
reinstall windows xp pro and then format? lol.
i think u mean the other way around.

adware is free. there's a personal edition that lets you delete it and stuff.

and see if this works:
ctrl + alt + delete -> file -> newtask (process) -> type explorer.exe in the dialogue and hit okay.

ur desktop should be brought back up.
but non the less; ur computer is Fubar'd. .. format it.
and don't let some technician do it. they charge so much for what you can do urself or someone else can teach you.

the main problem is reinstalling the software back onto the pc such as drivers, etc.

software for when you have finished formatted your computer:
Adware Personal Edition (free)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

SpyBlaster (Free) : basically works as a spyware/adware firewall.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Zonealarm (free)
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp

and AVG which michael has gave you.

and just so you know, i've had that combination for over a year and i have had no major viruses/spyware on my computer. just the odd tracing cookies, etc and trojans from illegit software.. *couhg*

enjoy!

michael1990

HSC
Above advice was good.

Why didn't i think of new task?
LOL

Although, i wouldn't reinstall windows without trying different avenues first.

Have you got all the drivers that came with the computer?

*hopeful*

HSC
ok guys, AVG would not install on my computer, it gave me a diff reason each of the 5 times i tried

im at work, when i go home i will try typing explorer into task manager

nothing on desktop, no start button, no icons, nothing

i havent got XP cd at home, probably havent got any of the drivers either, its a few years old

michael1990

HSC
*hopeful* said:
ok guys, AVG would not install on my computer, it gave me a diff reason each of the 5 times i tried

im at work, when i go home i will try typing explorer into task manager

nothing on desktop, no start button, no icons, nothing

i havent got XP cd at home, probably havent got any of the drivers either, its a few years old
OOO.

Nothing?

You may be able to download all the drivers from the website. But you will need to know what drivers you have.

And you may need to go and buy Windows XP. I don't know they sell that now, which will mean you will have to buy Vista, which in turn it sounds like your computer will not be able to handle it.

*hopeful*

HSC
ok im at home
when i type explorer.exe into task manager, its says it cant find it, it does give me the option to browse except i dont know where to look

i found mozilla and ran it which is how im able to type this up

i hate computers

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Hate to say this but the virus already damaged your vital files, and it most likely did some damage to your desktop especially to explorer. My best advice to solve it, is to back up all your files, documents, etc into your USB stick or burn it if you haven't got a usb, then format your hard drive, reinstall windows again fresh. Then you need to update all your programs you have, everything else and update your computer with a good anti-virus program!!

*hopeful*

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Hate to say this but the virus already damaged your vital files, and it most likely did some damage to your desktop especially to explorer. My best advice to solve it, is to back up all your files, documents, etc into your USB stick or burn it if you haven't got a usb, then format your hard drive, reinstall windows again fresh. Then you need to update all your programs you have, everything else and update your computer with a good anti-virus program!!
ok by back up all files, do you mean save all programs ?? cause i've already put documents, photos etc onto my usb

also i dont know how to format my hard drive or how to reinstall windows (unless i can get a copy of someone) so im kinda stuck on that step

i am seriously tempted to go out to a comp tech who will rort me for all my money :(

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Where do you live?
perhaps someone on here can help you format your computer. lol

much better than getting a comp technician who charges an outrageous premium for his services. hell if you live close by i wouldn't mind formatting it for you. jsut depends if you have a cd key for ur windows xp or not. .. . i don't want to like give out my cd keys. hahah

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
*hopeful* said:
ok by back up all files, do you mean save all programs ?? cause i've already put documents, photos etc onto my usb

also i dont know how to format my hard drive or how to reinstall windows (unless i can get a copy of someone) so im kinda stuck on that step

i am seriously tempted to go out to a comp tech who will rort me for all my money :(

You need a legit version of XP cd for you to format.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
chicky_pie said:
You need a legit version of XP cd for you to format.
if her windows xp is fat32 file system, u don't. :]

my old way of formatting windows (Which was very tedious) was to insert the windows 98 floppy disc and then format the computer via deleting the partitions, creating the new partitions for the hdd; and then boot into windows 98 setup using the cd ...

and then once windows 98 was installed, install windows xp via illegit means (my old copy) through upgrade.

it worked. . but was tedious. lol;
this doesn't work on NTFS file system though.

*hopeful*

HSC
i dont have a cd or a cd key, im getting someone to look at it this wkend if that fails where can i get a key from ??

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
*hopeful* said:
i dont have a cd or a cd key, im getting someone to look at it this wkend if that fails where can i get a key from ??
you'd have to buy a new copy of windows. haha.

either that or some illegit means. but howold's the computer? if it's old .. then i'd just buy a new computer.

*hopeful*

HSC
its about 4 years old, and its recently just had its HDD replaced (i dont know if that even makes a diff to age) and new big monitor

do places sell just cpu's ?? how much are they generally ?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
*hopeful* said:
its about 4 years old, and its recently just had its HDD replaced (i dont know if that even makes a diff to age) and new big monitor

do places sell just cpu's ?? how much are they generally ?
cpu is actually the processor that runs your little computer. hence; the little chip you see on the intel pentium ads.

so i think what you're lookin for is a new computer tower. they range from $500-ish for ur most basic ones and can go on infinitely depending on ur demands.

what do you do on your computer? play games? work? surf internet? watch movies? etc.
The more multimedia demanding you are; the more it'll cost for your computer.

*hopeful*

HSC
lol im such a noob when it comes to IT, yep definitely talking about a tower

i use the net, basic word, excel, powerpoint stuff, d/l music (which gave me the freaking viruses), sometimes watch movies/shows, upload tons of pics but no games or anything

its still under warranty, maybe i just take it back into them ??

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
*hopeful* said:
lol im such a noob when it comes to IT, yep definitely talking about a tower

i use the net, basic word, excel, powerpoint stuff, d/l music (which gave me the freaking viruses), sometimes watch movies/shows, upload tons of pics but no games or anything

its still under warranty, maybe i just take it back into them ??
but it depends on the terms of conditions of the warranty. i'm not sure if the warranty is voided or not via the use of illegal activities (dling music.) but you can always uninstall your limewire or aomething (thats what im assuming you have) and take it back to them.

no harm to see what they can do. just say you were browsing the internet; etc and then ur computer gotta virus. if they ask what you were doing; that's a breach of privacy and they're not allowed to do that.

looking at your demands for a computer; it wouldn't cost too much to get a new computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)