Help! What Do You Think Is Better? (1 Viewer)

SUSYKINS

HSC
ok so i did my hsc this year and i didnt do very well
D:.. hsc results were.. ok.. but uai turned out crap
i can still get into uni but the thing is.. its not such a good uni and its far away.. so i have three options

1. go to latrobe/acu .. study for a year then transfer to a closer, sydney based uni
2. go to tafe and study for 2 years then go to uni
3. repeat year 12

i would rather do the first... because atleast i can actually get into uni first
but my mum would rather me do the 3rd and have be repeat yr 12.. I dont really see the benefit of that.. and i really dont want to go through all the crap of year 12 all over again.

what would you guys do in my situation? give me some feedback/help?
thanks~

nice5uy

HSC
i suggest u pick the first 1 reason why:
Uni u can make new friends party alot transfer after 1 yr
Doin tafe
1. Its alright but doesnt look good compared to a degree cuz employers want educated employees. Although i could be wrong dats if u willing to do a trade job.
2. Can transfer witha result of credit overall
3. people think ur dumb
Repeating school
1. Do u think u could do better dan last yr
2. you would be older dan every1 and be alienated from school peers
3. waste more money if u dont commit to do better
4. And of course each year hsc gets harder becuz of more smart students plus da turmoil of studying causing stress
5. Also if u do repeat and get shitter uai dan last yr wat would ur parents think of u?

but dats my opinion dont hav to take my advice
ps. u can do at a private college or do hsc at tafe

Last edited:

kara42

HSC
nice5uy said:
i suggest u pick the first 1 reason why:
Uni u can make new friends party alot transfer after 1 yr
Doin tafe
1. Its alright but doesnt look good compared to a degree cuz employers want educated employees. Although i could be wrong dats if u willing to do a trade job.
2. Can transfer witha result of credit overall
3. people think ur dumb
Repeating school
1. Do u think u could do better dan last yr
2. you would be older dan every1 and be alienated from school peers
3. waste more money if u dont commit to do better
4. And of course each year hsc gets harder becuz of more smart students plus da turmoil of studying causing pain
5. Also if u do repeat and get shitter uai dan last yr wat would ur parents think of u?

but dats my opinion dont hav to take my advice
ps. u can do at a private college or do hsc at tafe

What the hell kind of incentive is that to go to Uni?

dolbinau

HSC
kara42 said:
What the hell kind of incentive is that to go to Uni?
Ahh..some people do actually appreciate the social aspect of University.

I personally would chose the first. It's fail safe (i.e if you can't transfer you still will probably get a degree), when if you chose the 3rd you still may do shit again and are left no where but 1 or, waste too much time doing 2.

HSC
duuude, just do like a briging course for a semester, i know UWS has the UniTrack thing going. As long as you pass it you can change to another university. click mee.

I think there's one for UTS and Maq, and the others, but i'm not so sure, just ask in the general section if you want one of them. There's really no point in moving far away, and coming back after a year.

friction

HSC
I rekon what you should do (if you can) go to the uni that you want to go to and do an easier subject to get into that is related. Once you have doen that work your arse off and get high marks in the subject and then try to transfer.

oliverbedon89

HSC
N/A
SUSYKINS said:
ok so i did my hsc this year and i didnt do very well
D:.. hsc results were.. ok.. but uai turned out crap
i can still get into uni but the thing is.. its not such a good uni and its far away.. so i have three options

1. go to latrobe/acu .. study for a year then transfer to a closer, sydney based uni
2. go to tafe and study for 2 years then go to uni
3. repeat year 12

i would rather do the first... because atleast i can actually get into uni first
but my mum would rather me do the 3rd and have be repeat yr 12.. I dont really see the benefit of that.. and i really dont want to go through all the crap of year 12 all over again.

what would you guys do in my situation? give me some feedback/help?
thanks~
I was exactly in same situation as you. Had three options to choose from like yours:

1 Go to a university that is too far from where I live and has a crap reputation.
2 Go to Tafe like some of my friends did
3 Repeat year 12 like some of my other friends did

I'm glad that I chose the first option and I would recommend to anyone who is in same situation as me.

1. It's easy to transfer. Put a little effort into it and you'll most likely transfer unless you want to do something like Law or Medicine (courses that require 95+ UAI). The course that I wanted to get into required somewhere betwen 80-85 UAI and the 2nd preference I had required 88 UAI and I was offered both in the Main and Late round respectively and to be fair, the workload in the first year, I found it much easier than the HSC. (Though right now, I'd rather do HSC than what I'm going through lol). Plus, I guess traveling 2 hours from where I live to Uni gave me that extra motivation ^0^

2. My friends that went to Tafe never changed their attitude towards work. As much as I like them as a friend, it amazed me of how much free time they had whilst I struggled to cope with the amount of assignments and the difficulty of work that I was going through. Plus, they rarely went to class, they never paid any attention, the work is imo easier than what we go through in uni. They always say, they'll try hard next time but they never do. Plus, there are many 'bludgy' people in Tafe and being around with them = more bludging! lol So you'll probably find it hard to concentrate towards your work.

3. I'll put repeat year 12 as my last resort if I were you. nice5uy is right in a way that ask yourself this question - Do you really think that you would do better than last year? Do you really want to go through another stressful year of HSC? I've said before that I knew few friends that repeat HSC and most of them received roughly the same mark as their previous HSC thus didn't get into their course. I find that it's really hard to change your attitude completely to working extra hard especially if your friends who were accepted in uni is enjoying their social life at their respective uni and you are stuck alone repeat HSC. Plus, if you have Asian parents like me, it's...a disgrace to repeat lol (then again it's also a disgrace to go to a crap uni, but at least it sounds better.) Oh and I repeat - 1st year uni work is way easier than doing HSC. For HSC, you might be doing something completely non-related to what you want to do in Uni. In Uni / Tafe, at least you're doing something that is related to what you want to do in future.

4. Most importantly, go to whichever uni for the whole purpose of experiencing what uni is like so that you can prepare better when you get accepted into your desired uni. Plus, you might even get exempted from few units / subjects (this also applies to Tafe) so that you don't have to repeat them again.

There you go, so if I were you, I'll choose to go uni. If that's somehow not possible, go to Tafe and study (you can always transfer from Tafe too). Repeating HSC...eww...die!

SUSYKINS

HSC
may i ask what uni you went to and which one you transferred to? the course i want to get into has a 76uai and is at uts~
also, did you get alot of credits,distinctions,high distinctions?

im worried that if i choose the 3rd option
1. ill lose motivation and just do worse than what i did this year because i will be thinking 'i failed last yr.. wats the point D: D:"
2. i really dont want to go over the whole stress mode throughout the HSC exam agaaainn
3. what if i do worse!?

thanks~

nackt

HSC
go to uni, dont repeat yr 12

transferring is not as easy as it sounds but u can try

remember, employers dont care how you got your degree as long as you have one

nublet554

HSC
my brother got 47 UAI. Then he repeated it at TAFE, did 4 of the same subjects and one new one...and he got 89.30 uai. His friend also flunked the HSC, and did it again at tafe, but did it over 2 years, did 3 subjects then 2 subjects, and got 98 uai and is doin commerce/law.

From talkin with my brother, repeating the hsc isn't really very hard and can open heaps of doorways and give u more time to think about what u actually wanna do at uni.

HSC
What UAI did you get?
And isn't ACU in Sydney? NorthSydney and Strathfield?

layzeehbum

HSC
i would rather go to acu. try to get good results and then transfer to a closer universities.

or do tafe and then go to university after. i think tafe has some connections to certain universities. you need to check.

don't even bother repeating year 12. i know someone who repeated before and it's all not worth it coz u have to go through hsc again when you can do a university course somewhere else.

oliverbedon89

HSC
N/A
SUSYKINS said:
may i ask what uni you went to and which one you transferred to? the course i want to get into has a 76uai and is at uts~
also, did you get alot of credits,distinctions,high distinctions?

im worried that if i choose the 3rd option
1. ill lose motivation and just do worse than what i did this year because i will be thinking 'i failed last yr.. wats the point D: D:"
2. i really dont want to go over the whole stress mode throughout the HSC exam agaaainn
3. what if i do worse!?

thanks~
I was at UWS doing some computing course but now at UTS doing BscIT + BArts in International Studies (though I'm thinking of transferring again to Arts (Media Production), Education or Design lol). I averaged high credit - distinction average at UWS and to be fair, I didn't try as hard as I'm currently doing (and yet, I'm doing pretty bad lately =(). Oh and I had one elective to choose so I chose the easiest one I can see and got HD so that boosted my chance =D. So make sure that if you are sure of transferring, choose an easy elective whether it's related or not =P.

Anyway, is your course B Arts in Communication (Information and Media)? Well, I'll say Credit average will do. Actually, I'm sure of it. Even high pass average will possibly get you there depending on your UAI (as uni considers UAI + Uni mark for first years). Plus, if the course asks for personal statement, it is absolutely vital to submit it so check it up at

UTS website: UTS: Additional selection criteria - University of Technology, Sydney

Personal statement = boost your chance (i.e. up your marks). I know a friend who received a low pass average + failed one unit at the uni and still, was able to transfer to UTS because of personal statement. Whilst one guy I know averaged low credit - high pass throughout the semester and yet still wasn't able to get in because he didn't submit this statement so he went to Macquarie IT I think which is 75 UAI I think. Proves personal statement is vital with UTS :)

Personally, what nublet says would be true if you wanted to get into something like Law or Medicine (95+UAI). I would recommend you to repeat year 12 because it'll practically be impossible for transfer to such a high UAI course as your current UAI will bring your uni mark(whatever you get) down. But seeing as you wanted to get into 76 UAI course, I think going to uni is the best way. :)

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
La trobe is a mad uni, it does really well in rankings for research and shens. It just has low entry scores because it's so isolated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)