Help with assessment?: Economics Issues (1 Viewer)

disFUNKshunal

HSC
So this is the extended response question:

1. Examine the Australian economy in relation to the key issues of economic growth and quality of life, unemployment, inflation, external stability of an economy, distribution of income, and sustainable management of the environment.

I need help with sustainable management of the environment, I need to:

Sustainable management of the environment
Define:
Sustainable management of the environment refers to development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.

Outline the trend:
Briefly explain the cause of the trend:

But I don't know which indicator to look for/use to describe a trend, I've tried looking for something like carbon emissions but haven't been successful, so if you have a website to source statistics from.

If you can help me, I would be ever so greatful. =]]

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Don't worry yourself, they aren't looking for 'that' sort of response. Trends in sustainable environment/management (like any other of the economic issues studied) is more a brief spiel about whats been happening in Australia in regard to sustainable management.

For the Outline the trend part,
  • The trend is that sustainable management of the environment is becoming a more primary part of economic goals and policies.
  • government policies have been in the past regarding the environment (basically that we were 'all for the environment', just that we were more 'all for' economic growth, thus, environmental considerations in economic policy were mainly taking a backseat behind economic growth.)
  • some things to mention
    • australia's role in global environment agreements - (e.g. Kyoto Protocol, Asia Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate, the Bali Road Map and the Copenhagen Convention).
    • domestic policies and initiatives - (e.g. National Water Initiative, Clean Energy Initiative, Carbon Emissions Trading Scheme
For the 'Briefly explain the cause of the trend' part
  • The last decades of the twentieth century saw a growing concern about the impact of economic growth and development on the environment. The environment emerged as an important political force, challenging the traditional assumption that all economic growth and development is good.
  • One of the reasons that has caused this trend is the fact that the world has to slow down climate change, because of the irreversible long term environmental harm and economic harm that a lack of action will cause.
    • the bottom line is that the economy can't grow if the environment is degraded. The Aust Govt is realising this and so is everyone else, this is the main reason for the trend towards increased focus on sustainable management of the environment in economic policy.
hope that helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)