Help with choices please (1 Viewer)

narrowpin

HSC
EITHER:

1. bonded med at monash
2. provisional med at UQ
3. bonded med at adelaide(i think this is the worst one, so probably one of the two above)

thanks so much for the help, im really confused and lost atm and dont really know how big of a difference bonded med can be.

lionking1191

HSC
personally i would take UQ CSP over Monash BMP, but it would depend on your personal circumstances, eg. family etc.

my reason would be that going interstate for 6 yrs (since ur going itnerstate anyway) is a lot better than having to be stuck in victoria which isn't ur home state for 6 years after you finish uni + internship. all med schools are AMC accredited anyway, and UQ is by no way a bad uni.

narrowpin

HSC
thanks for the help guys!

just on a side note, monash is a 5 year course, and then a year of intern after but whilst im doing my fellowship i can use up two and a half years of my bonded time of 5 years. The other two and a half years must be completed after my fellowship. UQ on the other hand is a 6 year course, and its provisional medicine.......arghh which means i have to do 2 years of a random degree and then do 4 years of medicine.

Also how important is UNI reputation when it comes to medicine?(realistically)

Also another question, how hard would it be for me to transfer to NSW to do my intern and fellowship years because the chick on the phone said i can transfer straight away as soon as my 5 years of monash are over.

THANKS sooo much for the help

lionking1191

HSC
thanks for the help guys!

just on a side note, monash is a 5 year course, and then a year of intern after but whilst im doing my fellowship i can use up two and a half years of my bonded time of 5 years. The other two and a half years must be completed after my fellowship. UQ on the other hand is a 6 year course, and its provisional medicine.......arghh which means i have to do 2 years of a random degree and then do 4 years of medicine.

Also how important is UNI reputation when it comes to medicine?(realistically)

Also another question, how hard would it be for me to transfer to NSW to do my intern and fellowship years because the chick on the phone said i can transfer straight away as soon as my 5 years of monash are over.

THANKS sooo much for the help
UQ is provisional which means you'll have to maintain 5.0GPA to progress to med. but credit average shouldn't be a problem - it's really not very difficult and if you can't get that chances are u'll struggle in med too

uni rep isn't very important at all. a MBBS from anywhere is worth the same. i heard that if u want to get into very competitive specialties such as neuro/cardio then it might make a bit of a difference but other than that its pretty much insignificant. much more important is the 'learning style' of each uni (eg. PBL/integrated curriculum) and how that suits ur needs

as for interstate internships, i dont know precisely how hard it is but if you are applying for internship in a state other than the one in which ur graduated you have less priority than one who graduated from a uni in the same state.

lionking1191

HSC
I'd go Monash. Bonded ain't too bad. It's not just SIX YEARS of being interstate. It's hard to go back to NSW (If that's your home state) to do your internship (so I've heard) so you'll prolly be stuck there for internship.

Read here for more info:
Interstate MBBS and internship in different state - med students online - for Australian and NZ med students
you'll be stuck interstate anyway -(where's the oP from?). if you take bonded you'll be sent to RRMA2 places for another 6 years when you around 30~40. if you are a rural/suburban person it's probably no big deal, but a lot of city folks tends to be a bit picky in that regard.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
you'll be stuck interstate anyway -(where's the oP from?). if you take bonded you'll be sent to RRMA2 places for another 6 years when you around 30~40. if you are a rural/suburban person it's probably no big deal, but a lot of city folks tends to be a bit picky in that regard.
Department of Health and Ageing - Bonded Medical Places Scheme: Information booklet

It depends, I live just over an hour away from the city and it's RRMA 2, despite this the area that I live in is sitll considered to be part of the Greater Sydney. Many other city centres such as Wollongong, Geelong, etc are also currently RRMA 2 aswell.

RRMA 2 is by no means 'rural', at all. Also you won't "be sent", you get to choose where to work within RRMA 2-7 regions (as long as there is a shortage in the area, which most of them do have) and you have the flexibility to practice anywhere within these regions. However, by the time you graduate and are in a position to work this may have all changed. You should also consider factors such as family, extended family and friends, etc.

Department of Health and Ageing - BMP Scheme - Where can I work?

Personally I'd take the UQ offer, it's a year extra but I think you will be able to personally gain alot from undertaking a undergrad degree before med. Plus you get two degrees.

If I still was inclined to do law with medicine, I would definately take the Monash offer, even though it was bonded.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
dont reject the bonded offers yet. as you might get upgraded by the 2nd round... dun worry as long as you dont defer its ok

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
dont reject the bonded offers yet. as you might get upgraded by the 2nd round... dun worry as long as you dont defer its ok
I doubt that will be happening , due to Umelb closing it's undergrad doors forever. Unless many interstaters reject their offers.

Good luck for your late round anyway.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
I doubt that will be happening , due to Umelb closing it's undergrad doors forever. Unless many interstaters reject their offers.

Good luck for your late round anyway.
the comment was for adelaide that has been renown for doing that.. and its happened in the last few yrs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)