Help with selecting a Major Work topic? (1 Viewer)

Valdek

Premium Member
HSC
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me out here with my major work idea. I came up with a couple of ideas namely:

Investigate reasoning and actions/American influences in coup d’état, either:

1973 coup in Chile + Allende/Pinochet or
1954 Guatemalan coup d’état

and

Katyn and the soviet massacre of polish officers of 1940

But through research I found there isn't much historical debate pertaining to these topics as they've mostly been settled i.e. US has admitted involvement and such in the coups, and Russia has finally claimed responsibility for Katyn. With this kind of admittance of guilt, does that kind of destroy the possibility of selecting these events as potential major work topic?

But I also happen to have a strange obession with Karl Marx and Marxism and was wondering what you guys thought about how I could pose a major work in regards to him?
Could I talk about Marx's role as a historian? But what specifically would I talk about there?
Or a historical biography? But I'm afraid that may be too boring just talking about his life unless i've got the meaning of historical biography incorrect..
I don't think I would have the guts to critically analyse the communist manifesto for example as "critical analysis of a major historical work".
How about marxist historiography (I'm guessing this is way too broad)?

But yeah i'm not quite sure what to do, but I know seeing he is such a large figure that may be a good idea?
Thanks guys!

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
First off Marx wasn't really an historian but his influence on the way history has been written has been quite interesting so without limiting yourself to just the Communist Manifesto what about his influence on the way history has been written e.g. have a look at some of the historians who have interpreted history using Marxist theory and how their work is now perceived.

Valdek

Premium Member
HSC
okay thanks that sounds interesting!
So i'm guessing just talking about marxist historiography in general would be way to broad?
Or shall I talk about a particular historian, such as E.J.Hobsawm or Christopher Hill for example, or multiple marxist historians in order to see how they differ?

Valdek

Premium Member
HSC
ugh, i'm utterly shattered as a history nerd to see my history teacher reply to me about my idea of doing something related to or along the lines of marxist historiography.. He said avoid analysis of Marxist historians in general because this is covered in the What is History topic of the course.

Haha i got myself all hyped for researching this area for major work and I can sadly say i've lost ALL my prior motivation for the subject :\

Any ideas on a work-around for this?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Don't lose hope now. : ) As History Extension students the major work is going to be under scrutiny the entire process; so best to hear now that the idea wouldn't work out. Don't lose motivation either; go read about your favourite topic or something, and then come back to it. : ) You can't let one let down ruin your whole passion for History. If that happened, then we wouldn't have the many Historians we have today, and we've had in the past.

It is best to listen to your teacher. After all he will be the one marking it, so take on his advice; and get back into it! You can do it!

Any periods in History you're really keen on?

You said earlier you were interested in the American Influence in the Coup d'etat? Even if the issues have been resolved, perhaps you could analyse how the resolution came about? Or perhaps why don't you evaluate the influence of America in the Coup d'etat?

Personally, I'm not familiar with the topic; so I'm not sure how the availability to sources is. Just make sure the topic area you choose, has a tonne of sources; that you are able to access and utilise. I know someone who is looking at Medieval France, and has to work at translating a number of sources, and that has proven a major set back for her. However, she is perservering!

Keep ya head up! : ) Don't let the previous rejection of your idea wear you down.
Best of luck! : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)