Help with what to do at Uni Please (1 Viewer)

igotoschool

HSC
So I have no idea what to pick for UAC preferences.
I predict my ATAR will be around 80 - early 90s.
Ideally would like to do a double degree.

- Interested in science (something to do with Biology, Neuro stuff, Immunology, kinda biology at a cellular or gene level)
but would like to do something humanities related, however, not sure what humanity type courses are out there that would actually help in getting a job after.

- Also considering engineering but not sure which to do. Possibly biomed (because of the biology) or one relating to space or planes.
How heavy is physics/Ext Maths needed to understand and enjoy engineering? I only do General and no physics or chem.

- I'd like to do some kind of research too. But I know that job prospects aren't exactly 100% and I don't think there is a specific degree for this... unless anyone knows otherwise?

Yeah, so basically I just need course ideas that are some kind of mish mash of these i guess. Thanks in advance! :fish:

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

- Interested in science (something to do with Biology, Neuro stuff, Immunology, kinda biology at a cellular or gene level)
but would like to do something humanities related, however, not sure what humanity type courses are out there that would actually help in getting a job after.

- Also considering engineering but not sure which to do. Possibly biomed (because of the biology) or one relating to space or planes.
How heavy is physics/Ext Maths needed to understand and enjoy engineering? I only do General and no physics or chem.

Yeah, so basically I just need course ideas that are some kind of mish mash of these i guess. Thanks in advance! :fish:
Engineering is very heavy maths

maybe environmental science or ecology?? (a serious suggestion)

kashkow

HSC
Depends on the type of engineering; however from doing the HSC course Engineering studies there is already quite a bit of overlap between physics and Engineering and there is maths involved. Also seeing from the UAC courses lots of them have Physics and 3U maths as assumed knowledge (so you would have to bridge for those or you'd most likely struggle). So this indicates that those courses probably are pretty maths/physics heavy.

Not sure about biomed; I'd look at the engineering course descriptions for your desired uni and see if you need those subs as "assumed knowledge".

Anyway, this is stuff relating to engineering. As for what you should choose for your preferences, that's up to you and what you like! Maybe speak to a careers adviser/parents/friends? Hope it helps!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Do a combined science/arts or engineering/science degree, if you don't like one or the other, you can drop that part.

Flop21

HSC

- I'd like to do some kind of research too. But I know that job prospects aren't exactly 100% and I don't think there is a specific degree for this... unless anyone knows otherwise?

Doubt you'll be able to do engineering with general maths. People struggle with 2u, since ext 1 is assumed. I doubt it because I don't think you'd be able to pass the math subjects you're required to do.

So obviously I think you want to do a science degree (check out the majors http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3970.html).

At UNSW you can do a double degree for only a year extra, so double science with something else you want to do.

Check out the degrees UNSW science offers:

http://degrees.science.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/degree

You will need chemistry for a science degree, but don't stress too much there's a bridging course you can do after the HSC or you can do intro chem at uni.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
maybe do a liberal arts degree at USYD, it has arts, science and a bit of communication subjects from memory...

igotoschool

HSC
Do a combined science/arts or engineering/science degree, if you don't like one or the other, you can drop that part.
Was thinking the eng/science would be a bit much, but I'll research it more.

What could I get out of doing an arts degree? I can see it being good at uni, but then after?? what's the point
there are probably more threads talking about this...i'll go BOS hunting

igotoschool

HSC
Biomedicine. Humanities don't get you anywhere, stick to STEM.
exactly why I don't think i'll do a humanities. While it's my favourite thing, no clue what i could even do with it. oh well

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Was thinking the eng/science would be a bit much, but I'll research it more.

What could I get out of doing an arts degree? I can see it being good at uni, but then after?? what's the point
there are probably more threads talking about this...i'll go BOS hunting
You get knowledge in an area of interest

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
To be blunt and straight to the point, Engineering with just General maths isn't going to be saved with the bridging courses.

I know people who didn't move into MX2 and only do MX1 are worried they will not cope with Engineering and are behind (but at least they have a smaller gap to chase up to).

I recommend doing Science/Arts (I think when you say Humanities, you mean history/geography/politics/social studies...rather than Commerce?)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
To be blunt and straight to the point, Engineering with just General maths isn't going to be saved with the bridging courses.

I know people who didn't move into MX2 and only do MX1 are worried they will not cope with Engineering and are behind (but at least they have a smaller gap to chase up to).

I recommend doing Science/Arts (I think when you say Humanities, you mean history/geography/politics/social studies...rather than Commerce?)
So they regretted it?

They can do a bridging course for MX2 but tbh I don't think it would cover every single MX2 topic in the HSC, only those relevant to what you learn in engineering

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
So they regretted it?

They can do a bridging course for MX2 but tbh I don't think it would cover every single MX2 topic in the HSC, only those relevant to what you learn in engineering
They definitely regretted dropping MX2 but at least they have the chance to do a bridging course to catch up on both topics and the skills. The difference between what a General and an MX1 student learns is probably huge (in skill as well, not just the topics)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
They definitely regretted dropping MX2 but at least they have the chance to do a bridging course to catch up on both topics and the skills. The difference between what a General and an MX1 student learns is probably huge (in skill as well, not just the topics)
General maths don't do calculus. 2U, 3U and 4U do it however

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I actually have no idea what General Maths did until I saw a snippet from my Maths teacher (who is with General in 2017) and I saw basic maths we did in Year 7 - 10, so I'm assuming thats way too far from Engineering maths in terms of level and skills.

Flop21

HSC
That's the issue. You don't even do one bit of calculus in general. There's no way you could do first year math with general maths.

It's surprising to hear people doing well with just 2u maths in engineering.

igotoschool

HSC

Okay, definitely looks like i should steer away from Eng. Yep, those kind of humanities. Many have suggested science/arts, will look into that Thankyou!

igotoschool

HSC
I actually have no idea what General Maths did until I saw a snippet from my Maths teacher (who is with General in 2017) and I saw basic maths we did in Year 7 - 10, so I'm assuming thats way too far from Engineering maths in terms of level and skills.
Yeah, General is bs. i regret not picking a higher level oh well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)