Help with Year 11 Subject Choices - Chemistry or Biology?! (1 Viewer)

The Matrix

HSC
But yes, that was a brilliant answer. I'm just finishing off Prelim, and from my experience, prelim chem has a lot more rote-learning.
There is so much difference between what you study in preliminary and what you study in HSC in almost all subjects, HSC is much more interesting and much better structured, all the modules are relevant to each other and everything makes sense, especially in chemistry and physics.
Are you planning on doing MX2? I recommend doing it!

theind1996

HSC
N/A
There is so much difference between what you study in preliminary and what you study in HSC in almost all subjects, HSC is much more interesting and much better structured, all the modules are relevant to each other and everything makes sense, especially in chemistry and physics.
Are you planning on doing MX2? I recommend doing it!
Hopefully it's more interesting, but I'm pretty sure that there's more rote learning in HSC due to the greater amount of content.

And to MX2, Yes I am. Especially since like a 75 in MX2 is equivalent to a Band 6 in Chemistry/Economics.

To the OP, I personally would pick Chemistry and Physics rather than Chemistry and Biology, but perhaps you could choose all 3 sciences and Latin and not do 3U English.

The Matrix

HSC
Hopefully it's more interesting, but I'm pretty sure that there's more rote learning in HSC due to the greater amount of content.

And to MX2, Yes I am. Especially since like a 75 in MX2 is equivalent to a Band 6 in Chemistry/Economics.

To the OP, I personally would pick Chemistry and Physics rather than Chemistry and Biology, but perhaps you could choose all 3 sciences and Latin and not do 3U English.
I regret doing biology, chemistry and physics are more than enough, I wish I chose SLR because biology isn't gonna count any ways, I'm most likely dropping it.
62% raw mark in MX2 scales to about 92, and 75% scales to 95-97 but is isn't easy to get a 75% (90/120) raw mark! I wanna try and get about 100+/120 :(
OP, do chemistry and physics, but you'll have to study hard, you won't only have to understand concept but you also have to memorise many things, chemistry and physics are a mixture of holistic learning and rote learning!

theind1996

HSC
N/A
+1. Year 11 Chemistry is so much more conceptual and interesting. There are some really boring parts in Year 12.
Yep. I agree. Year 12 seems to focus heaps on industrial processes (like cracking, fractional distillation) and applications of Chemistry to real life processes and their societal/environmental impacts, whereas Year 11 is the fundamentals, such as bonding, endo and exothermic, moles, solubility etc.

ayye

HSC
Yep. I agree. Year 12 seems to focus heaps on industrial processes (like cracking, fractional distillation) and applications of Chemistry to real life processes and their societal/environmental impacts, whereas Year 11 is the fundamentals, such as bonding, endo and exothermic, moles, solubility etc.
Get into year 12 first before you start to compare mate.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Get into year 12 first before you start to compare mate.
Why? I've looked through Year 12 content and I'm starting it at the moment, so I have a ~reasonable~ judgement of what year 12 Chem is.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
biology....definitely
Omg if you are doing a medicine degree, you'll definitely need bio and chem...mate
Physics are for engineering people... Which has nothing to do with medicine okay?
If you have time, you can try both, just in case

The Matrix

HSC
Cracking and fractional distillation are the first 2 pages of the textbook, it is nothing to base your judgement of HSC chemistry on.
You do, cracking, fractional distillation, condensation/addition polymerisation, fermentation, hydration, dehydration over all this is for ethylene, polymers and ethanol, then you do electrochemistry, then nuclear chemistry, acids and bases in everyday life, more acids, chemical equilibrium, history of acids, weak/strong, dilute/concentrated, volumetric analysis, esters, monitoring and management in the chemical industry (which may seam rote learning but there are pretty interesting concepts behind everything, like compromise conditions etc...), chemistry and the atmosphere (ozone, CFC's etc...), monitoring water quality, chemical equilibrium in the industry, sulphuric acid in the industry, industrial processes involved in the production of sulfuric acid (Frasch process, contact process), production of sodium hydroxide through membrane, mercury and diaphragm processes, Solvay process and production of sodium carbonate and much more.
You can't judge chemistry by the first dot point, LOL.

Last edited:

The Matrix

HSC
biology....definitely
Omg if you are doing a medicine degree, you'll definitely need bio and chem...mate
Physics are for engineering people... Which has nothing to do with medicine okay?
If you have time, you can try both, just in case
LMFAO, are you kidding, do you know what you're talking about? What about Medical Physics, an entire module on medicine...
You don't need to know how frogs breath, how to model natural selection, how plants suck water from the ground, or how some plants survive in the desert, etc..., you don't need biology for medicine at all, all you need for med is good ATAR and UMAT results...
and USyD lists chemistry as the recommended subjects for medicine, the only required subject for undergraduate med entry is standard english, umat and interview...

Last edited:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Cracking and fractional distillation are the first 2 pages of the textbook, it is nothing to base your judgement of HSC chemistry on.
You do, cracking, fractional distillation, condensation/addition polymerisation, fermentation, hydration, dehydration (ethylene, polymers and ethanol), then you do electrochemistry, then nuclear chemistry, acids and bases in everyday life, more acids, chemical equilibrium, history of acids, weak/strong, dilute/concentrated, volumetric analysis, esters, monitoring and management in the chemical industry (which may seam rote learning but there are pretty interesting concepts behind everything, like compromise conditions etc...), chemistry and the atmosphere (ozone, CFC's etc...), monitoring water quality, chemical equilibrium in the industry, sulphuric acid in the industry, industrial processes involved in the production of sulfuric acid (Frasch process, contact process), production of sodium hydroxide through membrane, mercury and diaphragm processes, Solvay process and production of sodium carbonate and much more.
You can't judge chemistry by the first dot point, LOL.
Yes, but Year 11 has barely anything on industrial uses, different processes, so in comparison, Year 12 still has more.

The Matrix

HSC
Yes, but Year 11 has barely anything on industrial uses, different processes, so in comparison, Year 12 still has more.
Well, that's what chemistry is about, there is barely any concepts to it other than bonding, types of reactions, etc... and they are pretty basic so chemistry in year 12 focuses on how chemistry actually applies to real life, and all the industrial processes I listed have fundamental chemical concepts behind them that you have to study and understand, they don't ever tell you to memorise a process without understanding the theory behind it.
More like MX1, in year 12, it is more applicable to real life like projectile motion, series, probability etc... Physics too, physics is by far my best subject, along side MX2, physics is extremely interesting in year 12, we study so much useful things.
Also, if the OP wants to do medicine, chemistry and physics will be a much better choice than biology considering the scaling and that USyD and UNSW recommend doing them. Also, you can do medical physics as an option which related to medicine more than studying frogs and natural selection.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
All your subjects are just bad. I would heavily advise you to do the following subjects, since you want to get into medicine easily.

1) Standard English - Easy Rank 1
2) General Maths - Super Easy Rank 1
3) PDHPE - No thinking required
4) Senior Science - Common sense
5) Industrial Technology (Wood or Metal) - Cut the wood or metal and get high marks

Good luck!

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
All your subjects are just bad. I would heavily advise you to do the following subjects, since you want to get into medicine easily.

1) Standard English - Easy Rank 1
2) General Maths - Super Easy Rank 1
3) PDHPE - No thinking required
4) Senior Science - Common sense
5) Industrial Technology (Wood or Metal) - Cut the wood or metal and get high marks

Good luck!
I beg to differ. Not sure if you are trolling or serious, but I will assume the latter. What if those subjects she had chosen were in fact the subjects she enjoys and actually believes will perform well in? It would be a much more intelligent move to choose the subjects she is curious in rather then forcing subjects that are in no ways, stemming any interest from her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)