HELP! (1 Viewer)

Aysce

HSC
Studying stops having an effect when you reach perfection.

BrokenDisc

HSC
Some people are just really lucky. If I don't practice constantly and put heaps of extra work in it just doesn't click.
I guess it's what works for the individual. I know some people understand a concept very quickly like some of my friends while I really don't.

This is going to be a very long 12 months.

Aysce

HSC
Some people are just really lucky. If I don't practice constantly and put heaps of extra work in it just doesn't click.
I guess it's what works for the individual. I know some people understand a concept very quickly like some of my friends while I really don't.

This is going to be a very long 12 months.
Stop comparing yourself to others, it does no favours and just leaves room for doubt. Focus on self-improvement and reaching your full potential - that's what I learnt from year 12.

ahdil33

HSC
Heyy, I'm new to the site so I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

I can't decide on what to drop. Time is running out and I'm swamped with work! :(

My subject % and rankings are:

Chemistry 80% =3rd
Biology 93% 1st
English Adv .... let's not go there
English Ext: =1st 96%
Visual arts: 95% 2nd
Modern: 93% 1st

+ history ext? + English Ext 2?

I want to do medicine... but the thing is chem is taking up a lot of my time, as is bio. There's so much content on top of the all the humanity based subjects I have. Should I drop one and just learn the relevant content in the 3month break (assuming I actually am lucky enough to make it into med) and focus on maximising my ATAR with subjects I am naturally good at? Because UMAT study has to factor in there too.

Any advice?
Thankyou!
Just in terms of ATAR and you ranks, I would go all the way with Ext 2 English (since it seems like you're good at it) and keep modern definitely. Ideally you would do the two sciences, but if the work is too much I guess you could drop one. So I suppose like has been said, the best thing to do keep all of them then re-evaluate after your first assessment.

Keep in mind that not all medicine requires a very high ATAR (but of course you should aim high!). Make sure that when the time comes your UMAT is strong. Nothing worse than seeing those med students who study the whole year and neglect UMAT and do poorly in it...then go off to do medical science. Someone who got 100th percentile (wonder how that's even possible, lol) in UMAT said you should remember UMAT is not content-based, it's skill based. As such there's little point practicising UMAT right now. You should work on your ATAR now, then in the holidays before UMAT, try to do one paper or something a day. Make sure you get your hands on those resources for them btw, ask around.

To get a realistic aim for what you need to achieve, I'd suggest playing around on the ATAR calculator. I'd try enter the ATAR/course you're looking for and working backwards: http://www.hscatarcalculator.com.au/ since Matrix is so buggy right now. Would have a look at the Ultimate Raw Marks Database as well to see what sort of raw marks and percent you need to be achieving in exams.

Good luck, medicine is tough competition. But remember, if you have the passion for it, you'll get in eventually. There's heaps of pathways in. Just the HSC is the 'quickest' way, not necessarily the best.

gleeek

HSC
Purely in terms of ATAR, I'd drop chemistry and pick up ext English or history (or both).

This is given that you maintain your ranks/overall marks, and even push them up if you can

madharris

HSC
N/A
Don't worry about the girl in chemistry.
HSC chemistry is pretty irrelevant as it's more what chemistry is used in and not what chemistry is (basically biology, history and general maths in one)

If you keep consistently studying and the girl doesn't, you're bound to beat her.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, from the ranks given, it looks like Art won't count but no guarantees. Also, I don't think more than say an hour or two per day is necessary - I probably had an average of 15 or 30 minutes per day and am doing perfectly fine.

eja2000

HSC
Seriously dude, the best advice I can give you is to stick with what you're most passionate about, regardless of how it scales. If you like it, you're a lot more likely to do better in it.

If you're not that into art compared to the rest of your subjects though, maybe you should consider dropping it? It certainly doesn't scale as well as some of the other options you've mentioned.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Heyy, I'm new to the site so I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

I can't decide on what to drop. Time is running out and I'm swamped with work! :(

My subject % and rankings are:

Chemistry 80% =3rd
Biology 93% 1st
English Adv .... let's not go there
English Ext: =1st 96%
Visual arts: 95% 2nd
Modern: 93% 1st

+ history ext? + English Ext 2?

I want to do medicine... but the thing is chem is taking up a lot of my time, as is bio. There's so much content on top of the all the humanity based subjects I have. Should I drop one and just learn the relevant content in the 3month break (assuming I actually am lucky enough to make it into med) and focus on maximising my ATAR with subjects I am naturally good at? Because UMAT study has to factor in there too.

Any advice?
Thankyou!
drop va

lolcakes52

HSC
Drop VA, it is harder to salvage any mistake you make in that course. Keep chemistry. Are you sure you want to do medicine, you haven't got maths.... It's going to be harder for you not having maths than not having anything else.

BrokenDisc

HSC
It's just that VA was weird this year. I have been 1st in course for 4 years prior but I had a cbf attitude about it this year. Probably because I just didn't like the medium we were working in + different teacher. Old teacher loved me, new teacher... not so much. The subjectivity is just scary.

Medicine doesn't have maths in it provided you do undergraduate first. Science degree would have maths, insider's knowledge on that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)