• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hey guys, I need help with graphing acceleration to time for a bouncing ball (1 Viewer)

bleakarcher

HSC
Hey guys, can someone draw and explain this sort of graph for me?

IamBread

HSC
The acceleration? It's going to be g. not going to change.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I'm not doing moving about(I assume bleak is), but when the ball bounces, wouldn't it have to go down to a velocity of 0 then accelerate again as it bounces back up? And the bounce back up isn't 9.81ms^-1 is it?

Just curious.

deswa1

HSC
You are right that velocity changes as a function of time but acceleration is always constant. Regardless of where the ball is, the gravitational force downwards will lead to a gravitational acceleration downwards of 9.8ms^-1, thus acceleration is constant.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
You are right that velocity changes as a function of time but acceleration is always constant. Regardless of where the ball is, the gravitational force downwards will lead to a gravitational acceleration downwards of 9.8ms^-1, thus acceleration is constant.
Ah I see, thanks for clearing it up.

bleakarcher

HSC
Apparently, according to my teacher, as the ball strikes the ground and is sent back up again in that extremely small interval of time the acceleration is a large positive value if you taking gravity acting negatively. WTF?

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
The acceleration of the ball while it is in the air before it hits the ground is -g (downward) so when it bounces back up its going opposite direction to -g so its +g

bleakarcher

HSC
The acceleration of the ball while it is in the air before it hits the ground is -g (downward) so when it bounces back up its going opposite direction to -g so its +g
No it should still be -g as it is going upwards, thats why it comes back down lol.

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
oops.. velocity is positive going downwards and once it hits the ground velocity = 0 and backup - velocity. At the moment before it hits the ground
the balls has gained momentum during its time in the air so all this would be reflected upwards

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
The moment the ball hits the ground there's an acceleration in the upward direction, larger than the acceleration due to gravity. Apart from that it's constant.

EDIT: Just to clarify, that upward acceleration is instantaneous.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The acceleration? It's going to be g. not going to change.
-g.

*ms^-2.

ms^-1 is velocity.

Apparently, according to my teacher, as the ball strikes the ground and is sent back up again in that extremely small interval of time the acceleration is a large positive value if you taking gravity acting negatively. WTF?
The forces acting upon the ball at all times is -g ms^-2 due to gravity.

However upon collision with the ground, a phenomenon called 'Elastic Collision' occurs, causing the momentary upward acceleration. I believe this is what your teacher was pertaining to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_collision

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Depends which way you set as positive :p
Indeed, though I think it would make sense to make the ground negative and the sky positive.

I don't understand all this riff raff about changing the positive direction unless it significantly makes computations easier (like in Extension 2 Resisted motion problems).

IamBread

HSC
Indeed, though I think it would make sense to make the ground negative and the sky positive.

I don't understand all this riff raff about changing the positive direction unless it significantly makes computations easier (like in Extension 2 Resisted motion problems).
I generally do -g, unless it's only going in 1 direction, so if it's a falling ball I'd use g (assuming the ball doesn't bounce up).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)