• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hi are these subjects ok i am yr 10 and have to choose soon (1 Viewer)

Sam20045

HSC
Hi, i am Year 10, i have to choose yr 11 subjects soon i am aiming for UWS Medicine, i want a UAI of 90+. Are these subjects ok?

Biology
Chemistry
Ancient History
Modern History
Legal Studies
English Advanced

TBK11

HSC
go with whatever suits you choose what your interested in and u will do well dont pick something just for the sake of scaling :)
and yer i think u should aim for 93+ if u want MBBS at UWS i thinkt thats the cut off

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Subjects look good, but how come no maths? Yow dont need it, but just asking... they're not that great with scaling, other then Chem, Modern History, but that is if you get 90+. Also if you think you can do well in them there's no worry about subjects.

For med @ UWS I think it is 93+ as TBK said, but you should get a UAI of 97+ to have a better chance, plus have a high UMAT result.

HSC
hey. ur probably going to hear this lots of times from people on this forum and ur skool. just pick what u like, what interests u, what u r willing to work with, what u are good at (if u r particularly strong with a subject) and ye. u'll hear the occasional, dnt pick it coz it scales and dnt pick it coz ur friends r doing it etc etc. but ultimately it comes down to you. and ur preferences.

gluk with ur choices. =]

pillar

HSC
Maybe consider doing some maths, unless you're terrible at it or REALLY don't enjoy it. Just a subject that's reasonably easy to prepare for and study consistently for I think, but it does depend on the person and you'll know best in the end.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
I don;t know what the requirements are for UWS medicine, but maybe you should consider doing some maths.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
I don;t know what the requirements are for UWS medicine, but maybe you should consider doing some maths.
93 if you have lived in the west for the last 4 years, or 95. Even then you need like 96-97 to get in. Also a good UMAT. People getting 99 have been rejected because of low UMAT.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
My main question, like others, is: why no maths? It would coincide well with chemistry, and I'm surprised it's not a prerequisite at UWS.

Lukybear

HSC
SUbjects dont matter unless it is pre-requisite. Cause ive seen kids with senior science, hospitatliy and general math, standard english to get 99.3. But then he did get state ranking in senior science.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
It's fine;

I'd go for the "Asian"/"99+" Combo:

Preliminary:
-3U Math
-Eng Adv.
-Chem
-Phy
-Eco

HSC:
-4U Math
-Eng Adv.
-Chem
-Phy
-Eco

omgd.

HSC
N/A
i just want to say, as a warning ( & this is totally biased ) BUT before you pick ancient history for year 12, look at the essays thats expected of you and then decide for yourself. I find that as a subject it is very high maintainence and very time consuming, but the rewards aren't very good. And scaling, is just really really bad for it. Not that its an issue, but if you want to do med, you have to get a really good mark in ancient to not let scaling affect you, and yeah, the essay writing on it, is very.... well you have to see for yourself. Its very different from year 11 too, so you cant base it on that. Just a thought :)

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
i just want to say, as a warning ( & this is totally biased ) BUT before you pick ancient history for year 12, look at the essays thats expected of you and then decide for yourself. I find that as a subject it is very high maintainence and very time consuming, but the rewards aren't very good. And scaling, is just really really bad for it. Not that its an issue, but if you want to do med, you have to get a really good mark in ancient to not let scaling affect you, and yeah, the essay writing on it, is very.... well you have to see for yourself. Its very different from year 11 too, so you cant base it on that. Just a thought :)
I'll have to agree with him. Ancient history is one of the worst scaling of social sciences.

LordPc

HSC
there is only one true essay in the ancient history course and its not like in english. you just have to be able to answer the question using what you know about it. it doenst require any on the spot analysis or creative thinking like you would need for english

furthermore, if you look at the essays in ancient and get freaked out, then perhaps ancient isnt for you. I did ancient on top of all my other units, and in the end ancient didnt even count. any regrets? nope, ancient was my favourite subject. if I could go back, I'd do it again.

natasaurus

HSC
just do the subjects that you feel comfortable with. i know EVERYBODY says that but its very true. im currently doing physics (chosen by parents) i really didn't like it and i know it would have to work 100x harder then everyone else to do well, but parent wanted me to do it because of scaling, and of course ... im failing.
so dont worry about scaling or anything, cos its really hard to study something you don't like.

VETO

HSC
As long as you enjoy them (like everyone said).
Though I'd suggest you do at least 2unit maths, if you're planning to do medicine.
Good luck with your choices :)

Last edited:

mtsmahia

HSC
Subjects look good, but how come no maths? Yow dont need it, but just asking... they're not that great with scaling, other then Chem, Modern History, but that is if you get 90+. Also if you think you can do well in them there's no worry about subjects.

For med @ UWS I think it is 93+ as TBK said, but you should get a UAI of 97+ to have a better chance, plus have a high UMAT result.

How do u study for Umat...whats in it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)