• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hi i need to repeat year 12, but my parents do let. (3 Viewers)

George121

HSC
The worst thing about repeating is not only the fact that all your mates will be out of school and changing their future, but you will have to go through all that stress, sit those stupid pointless english (and other subjects) exams again, make new friends from the previous year (you may not like them/know them), and to top it off, put up with all your teachers' bullshit. As many people have said, ATAR is nothing. There are a lot of people out there who have gotten a low ATAR, or lower than they expected, but have still managed to get where they want. Sure, repeating would save you that extra year or 2 at uni, but when you repeat, you're wasting that year anyway. Also, what makes you so sure you'll get a better ATAR? If at the moment you aren't doing 'good', what makes you think repeating will give you more motivation to do better?

All i'm saying is you shouldn't repeat, because you will regret it when you see that your mates are all having fun at uni, studying 3-4 times a day (if thats how many you do) while you have to sleep and wake up early to go BACK to school, the one place everyone can't wait to leave.

Just do your best for the HSC exams, and if you do get really high, then congratulations, sit your course at UNSW or wherever. But if you don't achieve a 'good' ATAR, then by all means, go to a different uni and if you feel you need to, transfer to the one you intended on going to. Repeating year 12 would be the biggest, and most stressful mistake of your life; don't do it! Listen to your parents!

No point trying to change the past; take what you have, and use it to help shape your future!

xdosha

HSC
to OP, why would you want to go through having trials + HSC all over again?
Try your best in the HSC, it's still possible for you to get 75 + If you can get high band 5's, low band 6's :)
OR you can go tafe and transfer to the UNI you desire, if you work hard and get the marks. Just stay focused and TRY!
Having this attitude, now will mean you have the train of thought 'going to repeat, don't need to work hard'.

kids with guns

HSC
to OP, I wouldn't take the advice of someone with a one direction avatar
clearly insane

xdosha

HSC
to OP, I wouldn't take the advice of someone with a one direction avatar
clearly insane
lol? Your name is pathetic 'kids with guns'.
don't be hating on zayn, i'll kill you.
This thread, is about opinions and that was my opinion.

Last edited:

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
Or you can do the HSC through OTEN.
It is a TAFE but you can do you're HSC at home, distant education. But OTEN doesn't offer MX2.
Bradfield is alright but it doesn't offer Chem, Phyis, MX1, or MX2.
The only TAFE that offers MX2 is ULTIMO which is in the City.

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
lol? You're name is pathetic 'kids with guns'.
This thread, is about opinions and that was my opinion, so shut your mouth.
Nice use of English techniques there, repetition is a great technique but sometimes it implies lack of creativity!

kids with guns

HSC
lol? You're name is pathetic 'kids with guns'.
This thread, is about opinions and that was my opinion.
"you're"

zayn doesn't know who you are, he doesn't care and he will never love you
how does that make you feel

xdosha

HSC
"you're"

zayn doesn't know who you are, he doesn't care and he will never love you
how does that make you feel
Clearly you're a douche-bag.
Tell that to the 2 million + fans he has, and they'll pick your eyes out and shit on you.

ali-fc

HSC
look man its ur life and your choice what you want to do but dont forget that there is a life after the HSC and that there are many ways to get to your desired uni course, even if u dont want to go tafe theres options like unitrack and uwscollege and you can transfer into your course. even if you havent done well so far in your hsc atleast give it all you got for the final HSC exams cause they might make a difference in your atar in u getting a pass or a fail and dont worry what your feeling is a lack of motivtion and giving up and this is normal cause everyone who has done or currently doing the hsc at one stage felt the lack of motivation they need, so my advice is just give it your all and best for the final HSC exams and even if u dont do too well you can atleast say to yourself u done your best at the end of the day. just remember this "its not how you start, its how you finish" so finish your HSC on a good note.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But I really need someone to explain to us how university transfer works EXACTLY.
umm you do courses

and then they look at how well you go in them

and if it's good enough - you get into the course you want in on

and uni's will sometimes put minimum requirements as guidelines you should follow

For example, I wanted to transfer into Arts/Advanced Maths

the published 'guidelines' are: "average mark of 75 for all subjects, average mark of 80 for your maths subjects"

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
umm you do courses

and then they look at how well you go in them

and if it's good enough - you get into the course you want in on

and uni's will sometimes put minimum requirements as guidelines you should follow

For example, I wanted to transfer into Arts/Advanced Maths

the published 'guidelines' are: "average mark of 75 for all subjects, average mark of 80 for your maths subjects"
So many people here said to the OP do uni transfer instead of repeating the HSC.
However, it is not guaranteed that he will get the course that he wants through transfer.
What makes getting an 80% average in uni maths easier than repeating?
People make transfer look so easy while in reality it seems more competitive and difficult than the HSC.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Of course it's not guaranteed. But it's not about 'easier', it's about being good with time.

If I want to get into Law, and enrol in to Arts - do all Law subjects for my first year and get great marks and transfer into Law, then guess what? I just did the whole first year of a Law degree. I don't have to start over. I can just go on in second year, as if I was in Law from first year.

If I do my HSC again, I have to wait for another year just to begin my degree.

See what I'm getting at?

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
Of course it's not guaranteed. But it's not about 'easier', it's about being good with time.

If I want to get into Law, and enrol in to Arts - do all Law subjects for my first year and get great marks and transfer into Law, then guess what? I just did the whole first year of a Law degree. I don't have to start over. I can just go on in second year, as if I was in Law from first year.

If I do my HSC again, I have to wait for another year just to begin my degree.

See what I'm getting at?
Yeah, I get what you mean. But what I'm worried about is getting these "great" marks at uni, I don't know how difficult it is to achieve these great marks to meet the transfer requirements but in my case, there is a 0.1% chance that'll be getting into medicine after doing adv. science since they offer only 10 spots per year. :(

Rohanco

HSC
Where are you getting this information, I can tell you as someone who does a HSC subject at tafe that the people doing their HSC at tafe full time, despite what stereotype might automatically jump to mind are actually very dedicated. People improve greatly, I know people who got low atars or uais at one point in their lives who went back to tafe and scored atars of 95+.

Most people who repeat end up getting a similar mark to what they got in the first place.

It is generally a complete waste of time.

HSC
N/A
bby gurl, you have 7 weeks to study up. I literally learnt 3/4 of the HSC course of all my subjects in two weeks (through rote learning). It's possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)