• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HID lights (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Before you laugh- I am a n00b at this :p

Are the blue-ish lights on the Odyssey HIDs? I heard they are.

And.. if the light they emit is really really bright, doesn't this blind other drivers (and hence become illegal)?

Also.. how much should I be expecting to pay for them? My cousin said he can get 'em $50-$70 from Asia for me but then the guy at Honda told me there are really expensive "Xenon" ones which cost a few K!

HSC
i think your cousin might be talking about HIL bulbs...which are different to HID.
if you want HID lights, you need to buy a HID conversion kit which will set you back ~$2000.

if you dont want to spend that much, just buy HIL bulbs. i would recommend Philips ones, dont go for the el-cheapo ones.

Jiga

Why would ya want brighter lights for?

Personally they shit me off, they half blind you when your driving which isnt in the best interest of the driver with them unless of course they want a head on collision...

WinterPalace

HSC
you can get "white-blue" lights just by buying those bright bulbs, umm forgot what they are called but Phillips manufactures some, you can get them at autobarn~

HSC
yeah. philips have the white-blue bulbs...the ones i was talking about before..

3 levels: blue vision (street legal), crystal vision (not), diamond vision (not)
each level with a slightly whiter, brighter beam and more bluey tinge to them..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
"Blue Vision"? If I rock up and just say "Can I get some blue vision lights for my Civic"- will they know what I"m talking about?

HSC
no they probably wont :p...
you gotta (of course) tell them its the philips ones you want, plus the specifications of the bulb..
eg, is it a H2, H3, H4, H5.. etc
best to ask your dealer dude, or check the manual when you get your car.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
seremify007 said:
Before you laugh- I am a n00b at this :p

Are the blue-ish lights on the Odyssey HIDs? I heard they are.

And.. if the light they emit is really really bright, doesn't this blind other drivers (and hence become illegal)?

Also.. how much should I be expecting to pay for them? My cousin said he can get 'em $50-$70 from Asia for me but then the guy at Honda told me there are really expensive "Xenon" ones which cost a few K!
more like 2k, and it isnt the bulbs that would be a total conversion

Xenon lights are fucking bright, but they arent what your are looking for, thet are pretty much a whitish beam, no blue tinge, i dont even know if they are legal

as for the question of wh you would want brighter lights...some stock cars, and also older cars have pretty dim lights, mine are pretty dim and can hardly see 15m infront of the car, brighter lights look alot better and as long as you know to turn your highs off, should be fine for other drivers

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was at autojoy yesterday and they were selling a pair of those blue lightbulb things for $40. Seems reasonable, is that normal price?

Qlimax

HSC
wow, you really do sound n00b at his..
I think xenon lights ARE illegal (okay i can be noob on the question)
but yes.. definately HID lights on the honda odd... a light conversion would settle you 2k at a honda dealer, but could be much cheaper after market.

I must admit, HID lights are too bright and blind people (especially if they drive really close up your arse).. they should also make this illegal.

incase they do.. grab yourself a brighter bulb.. A local mechanic should be able to do this for you.. these bulbs range from 8 dollars to i dont know.. 100 dollars? remember you get what you pay for.. avoid dodgey china ones. get ones made in korea or europe if possible.. my friend got his made in germany and it settled him about 40 bux for the pair.

nice white lights, and much brighter than stock.. but due to the fact that these bulbs are much more brighter.. their life on these bulbs are no where near as good as your stock ones..

keep your stock ones if you are scared of your bulbs blowing, as every light bulb uses different voltage to power them up. more power = less life in most cases.

seriously.. if you want quality.. look for one that has a warranty.. DUH!?
LOL..

Also.. another note on your HID.. my friends s2k comes with HID lights, HID produces very high heat... this high heat may damage paint..

the honda odessey should be okay due to the fact that it's designed with it.. well not too sure on this point.. but yeah.. my friends s2k, the plastic right underneath the bulb kinda melted a bit.. so yeah... seriously.. they only look good..

but meh.. cost you a fortune if you find someone who dislikes you and decides to bust a HID bulb!!.. oh noes!!

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
what about those lights that seem to change colour depending on the angle? they are orsum

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the advice Qlimax, I think I might keep mine stock for a little while but I'll change to those blue-ish ones later on; what I don't get is... what is the thing they are selling for $40 a pair at Autojoy if they aren't the $2k ones which other people talk about?

breaking said:
what about those lights that seem to change colour depending on the angle? they are orsum
Wow.. haven't seen those before- all I've seen is the paint which changes colour based on angle.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For some reason EDIT isn't working, but I wanted to edit it to ask... are those $40 things at autojoy the bright bulb ones you're referring to? The shop guy told me they were the blue bulbs... *shrugs*

Btw there's also a guy on the ozhonda site selling HID conversion kits for $410aud for Civics... he emailed me all the specs/details/pics, just wondering if anyone has knowledge on this (or if they want me to forward them the email).

HSC
yeah i was refering to those $40 ones.
they give out white light, but when you look into them, you can see a blue tinge?

Qlimax

HSC
I honestly wouldn't trust a conversion kit..
yet again. your car is a new car.. -.-
don't try to rice it up just yet..
drive it stock around.. it's good.. :)

bulbs are cheap to replace, so yeah.. brighter bulbs i wouldn't disagree with you there
make sure you know what you getting
and those HID conversion kit

you're going to pay 410 for a kit, that you wouldn't have any clue of?
cmon... if you don't have any clue about it..
i wouldn't recommend you buying this and DIY.. :p
[if you do want it.. just go to your mechanic and ask HIM first.. ]
it'd be the safer thing to do :)

but HIL bulbs are just as good.. and less blinding for a fraction of the cost.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)