Hidden Discrimination in hiring employees (1 Viewer)

googol

HSC
AntiHyper said:
I notice asian shops are a lot more 'racist' when picking their employees. I've never (epically rarely) seen a white person working in their shops let alone a black person.

It's probably the reckoning that a worker of the same background will go along a lot better. This can be hypothetically true in say, a white chick trying to get a job in a kebab store.
Sigh... I saw a white guy working in an Asian shop just about a few weeks ago...
And the Asian girl working there was yelling in English and Chinese "SALE SALE 99 cent"...

*Minka*

HSC
And I opften get confused between Hispanic and Latina - one of those language things that muddles me up. I think Monica always says 'Hispanic' instead of Latina. She has light brown hair, dark brown eyes, fair skin - still Hispanic though.

I have actually seen less discrimination from Asians in employing - my friend worked for a Chinese couple at their accessory store and they would hire whoever was bet, give them generous gifts, bonuses in gift vouchers (i.e non taxable) and genneral treated the girls like princesses.

It is often the people who think they are SO AUSTRALIAN who are the ones who discriminate - i.e - to many Bogans, I am a landmineplatinghatemonger.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Hispanic is such an American term....I think. It's used to describe someone of Latin American decent living in the US. I might have to clarify that.

I notice asian shops are a lot more 'racist' when picking their employees. I've never (epically rarely) seen a white person working in their shops let alone a black person.
What about major petrol stations and newsagencies licensed by them. Do they count?

Well, I reckon Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders have to put up with even more workplace discrimination.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
lexie85 said:
dont think you've ever been to bankstown because it is mostly white people, not to say you wont notice the other non-white peoples
.. yeah that post was coherent. Bankstown is more diverse than Cabramatta, but I've noticed that their youth is predominately not white (based on PCYC things I go to). Hence chain stores (which employ youths) would reflect this. In Cabramatta, lots of jobs require basic skills in Vietnamese or Chinese, so that would eliminate most white applicants.

Employers would be stupid to reject people of certain nationalities, because in Sydney that would severely limit the pool of potential employees. Or maybe I've just grown up as a white minority, and I'm assuming that this is normal.

It's fair to reject someone based on a poorly written cover letter, though. That's pretty basic stuff.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
katietheskatie said:
hispanic can be for people from latin/south america as well as actual spain.
wrong. it's not meant to be that way, although it commonly is treated as such. Hispanics are from Spain. Latinos are from latin-America.

veridis

droog
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Asian shops are usually family owned with family friends hired. That aside, the majority of customers for asian shops, grocers and resturaunts are in fact asian. Having someone who can speak the same language is appropriate.
shit i never knew that language was genetically based. cause you're implying as a white person i could never know an asian language right.

edit - along the same lines the majority of customers speak english. is it not appropriate that the person serving speaks english?(an experience i had recently at the korean store in lidcombe. i went to buy a box of mi goreng and the person could tell me if they stocked it or not. couldnt find it so went to ask the price of something else. until i got my wallet out and pointed at it i got no coherant response)

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
If you're white, it's assumed that you don't speak an asian language. Some people do (my very white cousin speaks fluent mandarin), but it's rare.

And it does make sense to speak english in australia, just because it makes it much easier to function in wider society, but if you're working with a specific group (eg koreans) then most of the time you could get away with speaking limited english.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I'd assume most of my employers see my resume and think I have an accent or I can't speak english very well because of my asian last name.

That's why I prefer to call them first and make sure they remember me, which I would say works so far.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to work with a company that holds such discrimination. It's pretty shit, but there's really nothing you can do. Not all companies do that. I was once a receptionist in a company and I was told to throw out all resumes that did not have cover letters or were poorly written. I also had to throw away ones that resided too far away.

I'm not sure about suburbs. I can see how they could feel uneasy with a resume from Macquarie Fields during its media peak for example, but as for suburb discrimination, most employers disregard ones that are just too far away, thinking that you won't stay with the company because it is so distant.

But back to your point, such is life. There's not much you can do.
how come you have an asian last name? Your ancestors are asians? This reminds me of why people like "Ricki Lee" the Aussie idol got their last name such as that and she even looks kinda asian.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
my source is the US Public Relations textbook I used. I win, as that's like written by the non-intarweb.

HSC
shimmy&shine said:
I see that most of he discussion is revolving around food shops and retail. But how about television?

Have any of you ever watched, for example, Ten News at 5 pm, and noticed that NONE OF THE REPORTERS OR PRESENTERS are asian, hispanic, black, or whatever other than WHITE??!! It annoys me so much. Because who says that, eg. reporters from an Indian background can't handle the job just as well? Why is it that we have to leave it to the channel SBS (which does a good job) to employ asian presenters that are from other backgrounds other than white. it actually makes me quite angry. Expecially when people go on and on about how multicultural we are, and that Australia 'values celebrating all cultures'.

Well then why can't televsion, as just one facet of the media expanse, be a good reflection of the Australian public?

And blondes - let's use Ten News as an example. specifically presenters, (former anchorwoman) Jessica Rowe, Sandra Sully, Tracey Spicer, Deborah Knight....etc, etc.

Apologies in advance about my rant. I'm optimistic about the future. :) I should add, that Seven News having Nuala as its Weather Girl was a wonderful choice. She was a breath of fresh air. Although I love Jaynie seal on National Nine News as well. She is very professional.
Maybe there's not a huge proportion of people of different backgrounds who aspire to be news presenters. I know at uni the bulk of the arts faculty is white, while most of the commerce faculty are asian. Are you suggesting they employ someone from a certain ethnic background "just for a bit of variety"? Would the mainstream public react well to that annoying Lin Lin Chin or whatever her name is reading National Nine News?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Does the type of school or university you go to affect your chances of getting a job?:confused:

Well...for example, Sydney Grammer seems better than Liverpool Boys.

Uni of Syd seems better than SCU to the employer. Ummm.....discrimination?

HSC
Sparcod said:
Does the type of school or university you go to affect your chances of getting a job?:confused:

Obviously Liverpool Boys failed to help you in the spelling department.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sparcod said:

lawlz. troll.

Bendent

HSC
lexie85 said:
dont think you've ever been to bankstown because it is mostly white people, not to say you wont notice the other non-white peoples
i've never seen one single white person at bankstown. there are mostly vietnamnese and lebanese people and the whole atmosphere is different to where i usually hang out.

Bendent

HSC
breaking said:
yeah but so is learning the primary language of the country in which you are living?
umm they can? they just don't want to because they are mainly dealing with asians?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)