high school typical interview questions? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
How did you feel about your previous school?
Reasons for wanting to transfer to this school?
Explain a bit about yourself, your qualities and traits -> Strengths and Weaknesses?
Why do you think you'll perform better here?
What are your interests/hobbies outside of school; Explain why you do them?
What is a challenging moment you've had and how did you overcome it?

These were the questions I could remember from my interview but I'm not sure how it about NSGHS, for me, they went through my school report and comments and they questioned me on the basis of some of my comments, one of my teachers said I didn't pay attention at times so I had to quickly improvise - which I failed terribly, but thankfully my other teachers wrote extremely good things about me so they chocked it up to a lack of interest.

Make sure you see your report card and any comments that the interviewer can pick out and challenge you on; ensure that you have a response for it. The standard questions I listed above are most likely going to be tested so please please practice them with someone else to get a good grasp of how you should act, mannerisms and your diction. The hardest part of the interview will be the curveball questions such as the one I listed above so make sure you analyse everything thoroughly so you can pick out some details your interviewer might challenge you on.

Please dress in attire that makes you look good, so you feel confident as well as presents you in a professional and diligent manner. What matters more is your body language and mannerisms; most of the time they focus on your body language rather than what you say (given you say standard responses).

Don't drink coffee or caffeinated substances unless you're used to it; the jittery feel can make you look awkward if you're speaking there and you're just twitching there while they are speaking - if you regularly drink coffee and you're used to it and you rely on it to be fully awake, go ahead. You really want to go in with a professional look so you seem smart and diligent.

Make sure on the day you're not stressing on what you're going to say or how you're going to act - just be calm and level headed. DO NOT rush into answers, take your time to respond, you might feel like you just need to respond at that instant but you're better of just processing questions and formulating a good response; this is the mistake I made and I said embarrassing stuff.

You'll ace it! Don't stress, you've gotten this far so they clearly show interest. I screwed up in my interview but all in all they realised I was hardworking so I got in. You got this!

Side note; not claiming to know it all about interviews, I'm not some veteran interviewee however this is the advice I've learnt from my past interview and this is all the good things I did and the bad things I could've avoided. I'm sure there's better advice that can be provided by other people who went through this experience. Take this at your own discretion.
agreed, make sure you know about the school's history too. Got asked that at the sbhs interview a year ago. Good luck!

joe mama

HSC
Happy to hear that, feel free to add on to this thread if there's any new advice you can give because many people will see this for time to come.
Ah yes! You're completely right. I wrote down the questions I got asked, not in order though:
What are some of your strengths?
What subjects do you plan on doing in year 11?
How would you travel to school?

Something along the lines of "We move quite fast for maths in the senior years. If you fell behind what would you do to catchup?"
Why do you want to move high schools again?
What are some challenges you might face in moving schools?
Do you have any questions for me/about our school?

And extra advice coming from me: Smile & come off as friendly, show that you're happy & grateful to be there in the interview :D
Slow down when answering, feel free to take a breather there's really no rush
For every 'bad aspect', make sure you have a counter-argument. E.g I was asked about my travel and I live quite far, but I said NSGHS is closer than my current school & I've been managing fine with my time management
And if you can, try standout, the interview will remember you as a good candidate if you brighten their day/are well presented.

Good luck to anyone who's reading this in preparation for their interview. You will do great, you've made it this far, it's the home run

kat1324

HSC
Ah yes! You're completely right. I wrote down the questions I got asked, not in order though:
What are some of your strengths?
What subjects do you plan on doing in year 11?
How would you travel to school?

Something along the lines of "We move quite fast for maths in the senior years. If you fell behind what would you do to catchup?"
Why do you want to move high schools again?
What are some challenges you might face in moving schools?
Do you have any questions for me/about our school?

And extra advice coming from me: Smile & come off as friendly, show that you're happy & grateful to be there in the interview :D
Slow down when answering, feel free to take a breather there's really no rush
For every 'bad aspect', make sure you have a counter-argument. E.g I was asked about my travel and I live quite far, but I said NSGHS is closer than my current school & I've been managing fine with my time management
And if you can, try standout, the interview will remember you as a good candidate if you brighten their day/are well presented.

Good luck to anyone who's reading this in preparation for their interview. You will do great, you've made it this far, it's the home run
Thank you so much! How long did the interview take you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)