Highest Exam Mark for Business? (1 Viewer)

Top Secret

HSC
Since it was aligned to 99, I reckon it was probably about 98-99 raw.
I'm not sure I understand this.
With many subjects, isn't possible that the top exam mark would likely be higher than that of the student who came 1st in the state? Say that student receives 99 as their school and external mark in subject x. However, isn't it likely that there may be another student who didn't do so well in school and receives 95 as their internal mark, but gets 100 as their external?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
With many subjects, isn't possible that the top exam mark would likely be higher than that of the student who came 1st in the state? Say that student receives 99 as their school and external mark in subject x. However, isn't it likely that there may be another student who didn't do so well in school and receives 95 as their internal mark, but gets 100 as their external?
Ye, that's absolutely true. That was the case back in 2004 when someone at my school who was ranked 2nd at schoool came first in the state in Physics (the top guy came like 8th in the state).

I am just guessing in my point of view really...

BTW, last year biz is known to be one of the hardest paper (someone who state ranked told me and the general consensus on bos told me same thing)...
so i doubt there would haev been 100..

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
It's possible, but I'd like to think that the kid who comes first in the state would've been able to top his/her school, therefore their assessment mark would be generated by their own exam performance.

Also 100 in business studies is damn hard - it's an easy subject, but at times it can be very vague and markers can also have varying expectations.

Top Secret

HSC
It's possible, but I'd like to think that the kid who comes first in the state would've been able to top his/her school, therefore their assessment mark would be generated by their own exam performance.

Also 100 in business studies is damn hard - it's an easy subject, but at times it can be very vague and markers can also have varying expectations.
I'm not sure I was clear enough in my scenario.

Take Student A, ranked first in their school. Gets a mark of 98/100 in HSC for subject X, which is duplicated as his/her school mark since that was the top mark in the school. Student comes first in the state.

Now many may assume that since this student topped the state, the top HSC exam mark in the state is 98. However, I believe there may a number of students that receive 99 or 100 as their exam mark, but have been let down by low ranks in school.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Take Student A, ranked first in their school. Gets a mark of 98/100 in HSC for subject X, which is duplicated as his/her school mark since that was the top mark in the school. Student comes first in the state.

Now many may assume that since this student topped the state, the top HSC exam mark in the state is 98. However, I believe there may a number of students that receive 99 or 100 as their exam mark, but have been let down by low ranks in school.
We both understood what you meant. But what we are saying is that it's unlikley that person who got like 99-100 in hsc got low ranks at school.

and since it's very hard to get 100 in biz (like many other exams) since the top in the state last year got 99, I am sure he was the one who would have got the top HSC exam mark.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Yes I know what you mean.

However, the HSC isn't just about the external examination. If a student comes first in the external examination, good for him/her; but they shouldn't be given 'Top of the State' - JUST because they aced one exam, it's only fair that the internal assessments be considered.

Also as I stated before, my belief is that its very unlikely that a student who was unable to attain a high ranking in his/her own school, would be able to attain the highest examination mark in New South Wales.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)