Highest pay/demand engineers? (1 Viewer)

reddie

HSC
Highest pay: mining/petroleum

Job prospects: mechanical

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I hear petroleum is pretty highly paid.

But do what you want to do.
So is mining. But both of those streams have tough working conditions. Doing it just for the money is not a good decision.
Mining engineering
http://joboutlook.gov.au/Pages/occupation.aspx?code=2336&search=keyword&Tab=prospects
Job prospects for Mining Engineers are good.
Employment for Mining Engineers to 2015-16 is expected to grow very strongly. Employment in this medium sized occupation (13 200 in November 2010) rose very strongly in the past five years and in the long-term (ten years).
Mining Engineers have a high proportion of full-time jobs (89.4 per cent). For Mining Engineers working full-time, average weekly hours are 46.5 (compared to 41.3 for all occupations) and earnings are high - in the tenth decile. Unemployment for Mining Engineers is average.
Mining Engineers are employed across several industries including: Mining; Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services; and Manufacturing.
The (internet) vacancy level for Mining Engineers is very high. The proportion of workers leaving the occupation (and needing to be replaced) is 5.3 per cent (annually) compared to the average for all occupations of 13.1 per cent.
The mix of industries employing Mining Engineers is highly favourable for employment growth prospects.

Last edited:

gurmies

Drover
HSC
but you're screwed once we eat all of our resources
Surely as our resources diminish, there will be an increased pressure on petroleum/mining engineers to be more innovative. This will most likely translate to a sizable increase in remuneration.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Surely as our resources diminish, there will be an increased pressure on petroleum/mining engineers to be more innovative. This will most likely translate to a sizable increase in remuneration.
yeah but he's asking what can he be shit in at uni and still get a job and be paid well for it

of course he is going to have a several years head start on the faggots that are still only just graduating or have graduated much later, but the labour market will shrink

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
what I'm saying is there were 2 factors here, not just how can he make the most money and I'm accounting for both (mr advanced maffs)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm gonna change during late round enrolments or something (another 6 hours of my life wasted (I need to go shopping in the city so it won't be a complete waste)).
Since you haven't done any uni yet, I don't think you have to go through UAC.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Since you haven't done any uni yet, I don't think you have to go through UAC.
Yeah, also because my double degree is only classed as Eng/MedSci under UAC, no actual stream.

HSC
N/A
especially smart as all streams of engineering (except biomedical, aerospace etcetc) have extremely high pay and job prospects

but to humour you
- mining (branch of civil)
- geotechnical
- civil in mining applications
- chemical
- all of them
really? Even electrical engineering... are you sure?

D94

HSC
N/A
You're always going to need engineers - it's just how well you go in uni and how well you market yourself when it comes to finding jobs.

D94

HSC
N/A
yes lol...obviously speaking about the mainstream engineering streams there. Anything fixed needs civil, which the materials used requires chemical, anything that moves needs mechanical, to automate that mechanics you need electrical and software, and the rest fits in here and there.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I didn't have any qualms with the need for engineers

I think he's deluded if he thinks marks and having a nice resume are going to get him as far as knowing and being friends with people in the industry

D94

HSC
N/A
I didn't have any qualms with the need for engineers

I think he's deluded if he thinks marks and having a nice resume are going to get him as far as knowing and being friends with people in the industry
I think he's deluded if he thinks passes are going to get him a decent graduate job and that making no effort to market yourself (which was actually your point as well about connections, so you're sort of agreeing with me lol) is going to get you any where. No one said anything about a nice resume... When you attempt network yourself and subsequently finding a job, you are marketing your name to those authoritative in the industry - unless you're now saying marketing isn't important lol

Last edited:
HSC
i knew what ya meant kid

dw about the software dummy they rarely interact with human persons

mirakon

nigga
HSC
in australia, anything to do with the mining industry is the best option as our manufacturing industry isn't too great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)