historians quote exchange (1 Viewer)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i thought it would be a good idea to trade some quotes from some historians to use in our source based question in the exam...

herodotus
"history is simply the search for truth about the past"

thanks guys

trekkie

HSC
Henry Steele Commager
“Lord Bolingbrook put it for all time when, drawing on the ancients, he defined history as ‘philosophy teaching by examples’”

Writing history is “painting a picture, not taking a photograph”

skiguy_hsv

HSC
"History is like drinking an ocean, and pissing a cupn full"
- a personal favourite ;)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Hi Mat!! :)

"All history, conciously or unconciously is written from the perspective of the present."

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
The "writing history was like drinking in an ocean and pissing a cupful" was quoted by Flaubert

All history, concious or unconsiously..... etc was quoted by Richard J. Evans

Paroissien

HSC
Ok, that quote makes sense now.
Who is Richard J. Evans? Am I missing a joke?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
No you aren't.

Hes the Professor of Modern History at the University of Cambridge, anti-postmodernist and star witness in the Lipstadt/Irving libel trial.

blacmajic

HSC
N/A
pukkatukka said:
hayden white
"we look through the lenses of our own grinding"
my teacher said we couldnt use White cause he's not in the source book of readings! i used him in my 1/2 yearlys and i lost quite a few marks for it!
just giving you a heads up!

any one doing Ranke?
"to history has been assigned the office of judging the past, of instructing the present for the benefit of future ages. To such high offices this work does not aspire, it wants only to show what really happened, how it really it"

Oh yeah! ive known that one off by heart for a while now its pretty good, but if you dont know it by now i wouldnt try and learn it!!

laracroft

blacmajic said:
my teacher said we couldnt use White cause he's not in the source book of readings! i used him in my 1/2 yearlys and i lost quite a few marks for it!
where does it say that we can't quote historians who arent in the source book?
if ur referring to historians who arent in the source book isnt that evidence of 'wide reading' which markers like to see, coz it shows uve put ur own work into it
??? idunno

EH Carr: "facts speak only when a historian calls on them"

Last edited:

Suspense

I've read about 2 things out of the source book. On the whole they're pretty crap as they waffle on and on and rarely get to a decent point.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
blacmajic said:
any one doing Ranke?
yep i am. good old lutheran ranke...
ranke single handedly created the profession of history

anyone doing summers the feminist?
"for history to be complete it must be all encompassing"

Senator04

HSC
N/A
blacmajic said:

any one doing Ranke?
"to history has been assigned the office of judging the past, of instructing the present for the benefit of future ages. To such high offices this work does not aspire, it wants only to show what really happened, how it really it"

Oh yeah! ive known that one off by heart for a while now its pretty good, but if you dont know it by now i wouldnt try and learn it!!
Don't worry about it, do White ur teacher ain't marking it is she? If you were to just cover what was in the source booklet, u wouldn't be able to say a real lot. Last year I scribed for a guy, who only used 2 from the source booklet out of his 9 historians and he did well, so can that idea. As long as uve read his work and can quote the name etc ur ok.

anyone doing summers the feminist?
mate when we were at a lecture day at macquarie earlier in the year, the famous feminist historian they bought in said Summers and the other feminist were sociologists and not historians.

Last edited:

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
"To praise an historian for his objectivity is like to praise a builder for his fine-seasoned timber and well-mixed concrete - it's a sufficient ideal, but not the essential outcome."

-E.H.Carr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)