History ext hardest cource? (1 Viewer)

green_fairy

mmm, absinthe
HSC
I don't know about this but someone said that history ext was supposed to be the hardest cource in the hsc. we got a big talk from our teacher about how by doing this cource we're up against students who are expecting to get in the top band 6 for their respective histories but then our school goes ahead and dumbs it down for us...like by giving us handouts with comic strips in them and fill in the blanks. I dunno what do you people reckon?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
History Extenstion, like most other HSC subjects, has its potentially phenomal difficulty restricted by what the government coins a "syllabus"

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ext hist is not hard but it just requires you to be able to write decently, construct arguments and show what you know. From my experience of doing almost nothing for ext hist (kinda regret it looking back) and getting 44, the course really isnt that hard to keep up with and it doesnt look like that mark particularly hard either.

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
i echo everything said by gordo and sarah.

if you can write a strong essay, then you'll be fine. i think many people get caught up with the whole 'oh no! there's so much to know' and they memorise all these insignificant details, and try to cram too much information into their essays. then they get screwed over by the markers because what they've discussed isnt all that relevant to the source (this is for qn1). definitely more about having a decent argument, discussing these broad historical concerns, using the source as a sort of framework for discussion.
i think it's also easier if you're doing a relatively obscure case study, than if you're doing something popular (although this is contentious). for instance, no one is going to notice if you get the date of a source wrong, or even the title of a source, during the exam. hahah ;D

i found modern history far more stressful and difficult.

mcs

HSC
I dont think Ext History is that hard- as one fo the earlier posters said it is all about constructing an effective argument and showing what you know. I quite enjoy it, but I enjoy Modern much more cause there is a bit more 'guts' to it.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
what do you mean that there isnt tha t much to know for history ectension. it is heaps to know!! :O well consdiering i do it in conjunctionw ith maths extension and legal studies it seems a bit too mcuh work from my persepctive of acutally keeping in touch with everyone else that is in the class.

but i will have to agree on this point that it is heaps of fun to do since you are doing something that youw ill ahve to love to actually go through the whole course unscathed of hating it too much. and please...not hating a course that is in the hsc :p its something that everyone loves to hate so blah :D

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there is alot to wade through in terms of the learning process but at the end of it all, you jus pick and shoose your arguments and off you go!

HSC
green_fairy said:
I don't know about this but someone said that history ext was supposed to be the hardest cource in the hsc. we got a big talk from our teacher about how by doing this cource we're up against students who are expecting to get in the top band 6 for their respective histories but then our school goes ahead and dumbs it down for us...like by giving us handouts with comic strips in them and fill in the blanks. I dunno what do you people reckon?
its NOT the hardest subject by any stretch, no question about it. Year ELEVEN 3 unit maths was harder. I hear theres this thing called "4 unit maths". Thats were Asians go to do elite maths, while we foolish mortals fumble with Ranke, and the DUHHH "what IS hiStoRy" question.

X

xeuyrawp

green_fairy said:
No. Extension Japanese was at least 10 times harder than this..

sugarplum said:
think about doing arabic, or latin. that'd suck. unless you spoke it at home of course. but who would speak latin at home???? except maybe in ireland.
wtf? Ireland?

X

xeuyrawp

suger_plum said:
a friend of mine recently moved over, and they had to learn latin at school. i know, when she told me i was all wtf?
when the teacher came into the room they had to greet her in latin. etc
Are you sure it wasn't just at school? Was it a state decision, because that would be quite odd...

X

xeuyrawp

suger_plum said:
i honestly have no idea. all i know is she speaks more latin then my history teacher, who takes pride on knowing robably 20 latin words
I wouldn't take that as proof. I think I know that many words from general AH reading.

X

xeuyrawp

suger_plum said:
i honestly have no idea!
history extension sux ass
No it doesn't. It requires low amounts of consistent reading, coupled with a very straightforward MW.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
suger_plum said:
isnt the highest ranked uai, supposed to be the hardest cource. think about doing arabic, or latin. that'd suck. unless you spoke it at home of course. but who would speak latin at home???? except maybe in ireland.

hahaha you're an idiot

no one speaks latin anywhere, least of all in ireland. in ireland they speak english and *gasp* gaelic

veridis

droog
HSC
well if we're getting pedantic gaelic is actualy spoken in scotland. in ireland they speak irish or gaeilge =)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
errr no.

there's no such language as 'irish'. gaelic is the language with different dialects between scotland and ireland.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)