• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

History ext hardest cource? (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

anti-mathmite said:
b) a subject like classical greek
If the marker is pedantic about accents on the letters, Classical Greek is a bitch. Almost as difficult and illogical as hieroglyphs, which is only beaten by the insane Mayan.

veridis

droog
HSC
glycerine said:
errr no.

there's no such language as 'irish'. gaelic is the language with different dialects between scotland and ireland.
go to ireland and ask them what lanugage they speak, look in official EU documentation about the language they are going to introduce as on official working laguage for EU documents in 2007. in fact just look at the RoI official language, english and irish.
lets look at what others say
bbc states "Major languages: English, Irish" for RoI - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/country_profiles/1038581.stm
wikipedia says "Official languages Irish, English" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland
they're my only bookmarked sites that a quick search of would prove i'm correct but look around more and it will confirm what i say

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i've been to ireland. i've been to school in ireland. i have never heard anyone irish refer to it as irish, ever. of course, if wikipedia says it it MUST be right!

in conclusion: pog mo'hoin.

veridis

droog
HSC
you're using a "i've never heard it so it cant be true" argument yet criticising my citing of wikipedia and bbc?
a quick google of "republic of ireland +language" can add the CIA world factbook(http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ei.html)
"Languages: English (official) is the language generally used, Irish (official) spoken mainly in areas located along the western seaboard "
and from the RoI site itself
"Gaeilge/English
The language change button appears at the end of the sidebar. This brings you to the Irish/English version of the site depending on which language version you are in. In the English version of the site, it reads: 'Gaeilge', and in the Irish version, it reads, 'English'. You can click it at any time and it will bring you to the other language version without moving out of the section you are in."
i see irish and gaelige, ie the terms i said are accurate, but no mention of gaelic, ie your incorrect usage of the scottish term sometimes applied to the entire family of languages(correctly known as the goidelic family)

in conclusion: i'm right so kiss my ass(translation of "pog mo'hoin" for all those non irish speakers out there)

edit - should at least use english correctly before discussing other languages =)

Last edited:

veridis

droog
HSC
if you kenw it was at her school why make a comment about it being spoken at home? implying that latin was the dominant language in ireland and the one most commonly used. the initial criticism was wuite appropriate, sure if you take saying "you idiot" as a personal attack it may have been harsh but it was obviously light hearted. while the first mistake was understandable dont continue arguing it when you yourself are not sure. rather try and listen to what others have to say, you might learn something

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
veridis said:
you're using a "i've never heard it so it cant be true" argument yet criticising my citing of wikipedia and bbc?
a quick google of "republic of ireland +language" can add the CIA world factbook(http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ei.html)
"Languages: English (official) is the language generally used, Irish (official) spoken mainly in areas located along the western seaboard "
and from the RoI site itself
"Gaeilge/English
The language change button appears at the end of the sidebar. This brings you to the Irish/English version of the site depending on which language version you are in. In the English version of the site, it reads: 'Gaeilge', and in the Irish version, it reads, 'English'. You can click it at any time and it will bring you to the other language version without moving out of the section you are in."
i see irish and gaelige, ie the terms i said are accurate, but no mention of gaelic, ie your incorrect usage of the scottish term sometimes applied to the entire family of languages(correctly known as the goidelic family)

in conclusion: i'm right so kiss my ass(translation of "pog mo'hoin" for all those non irish speakers out there)

edit - should at least use english correctly before discussing other languages =)
ok, i admit i was being pedantic and delibretely difficult... and also when i went to school in ireland, it was 1995 :p
however, i do know a lot of irish people who refer to themselves as gaelic speakers

veridis

droog
HSC
where in ireland?
my relos and family friends that can speak irish are from the south(well descended for some of em) so speak munster irish and make sure that everybody knows its not gaelic but irsh. remember they got in a pretty heated argument after someone tried to claim it was all the same. but apparantly some other dialects of irish are alot closer to gaelic and manx

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i've got relatives all over, cork, longford, sligo, kerry, dublin and, uhhh, i forget whre the last lot are, it's not far from longford though. well, nowhere in ireland is far from anywhere else in ireland, but you get my meaning
a lot of my older relatives (ie uncles and aunts) grew up when the irish language wasn't really taught in schools etc though, it's only really the last couple of generations that have learnt it as a primary language (for example now you can go to some of the smaller towns and most people speak irish/gaelic/whatever as their language unless someone delibretely addresses them in english)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)