History ext or ext 2 english? (1 Viewer)

amanda.

HSC
Extension 2 for sure. Ext history sucks big time, and ext two is really interesting and you can choose what you study pretty much!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
personally i enjoyed history extension but remember that internal marking is NOT a pro, its a con. You may like to consider the merits of the group of students you will be doing the course with because the mark for your project, a substantial part of your final mark, will not be comparable to other's in the state, just your school group.

X

xeuyrawp

silvermoon said:
personally i enjoyed history extension but remember that internal marking is NOT a pro, its a con. You may like to consider the merits of the group of students you will be doing the course with because the mark for your project, a substantial part of your final mark, will not be comparable to other's in the state, just your school group.
How does that make it a con? It makes it a con if your class is bad, which not only is a subjective thing, but can also be turned the other way- ie, if your class as a whole does well, you get bumped up.

CLRNCE

HSC
ex. his. for sure

1/5kiwifruit said:
Hey im in yr 11 and i'm currently studying M.Hist, 3u maths, english adv, ext 1 english, legal and economics. I'm first in ext eng and hist..by only 1 or 2 marks so i could easily get knocked off...lol :eek:
I was wondering for yr 12, should i choose ext hist or ext 2 english or both??
OMG i actually picked up both ex his and ex 2 eng! stupid! ex his is sooooooooo much better then ex 2! i dropped ex 2 because it was so not worth it for me, but if you think that would be your strongest subject go for it! i was in the same boat as you were- relatively- and i chose ex his over ex 2 by far!!!
good luck

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
PwarYuex said:
How does that make it a con? It makes it a con if your class is bad, which not only is a subjective thing, but can also be turned the other way- ie, if your class as a whole does well, you get bumped up.
two different issues. 1st being internal marking and 2nd being student group.
--> internal marking is a con as it relies only on teacher who may or may not be subjective (and many have not taught the course long and so are not used to marking the major work which can lead to major discrepancies)
--> if your student group (especially in a school that has only recently started the course) are not strong students then your marks will suffer. Yes, I do realise that this is completely subjective and will vary from class to class, year to year across the state, i was merely offering it as something to be considered.

X

xeuyrawp

silvermoon said:
two different issues. 1st being internal marking and 2nd being student group.
--> internal marking is a con as it relies only on teacher who may or may not be subjective (and many have not taught the course long and so are not used to marking the major work which can lead to major discrepancies)
And because ever student is eventually compared with their group, they are in the same boat as each other.

This is not "a con", because for some people (ie, the people who get a mark put up because of a bad teacher) it's good- at least half of the students get a better mark internally because of a shit teacher. It's mathematically impossible for the entire internal grade to be disadvantaged.

Secondly, every subject has internal marking. Ext History is no different to extension English where I had a 30% internal assesment project and more essays marked by a shit teacher.

Not only does every student of a shit teacher get compared internally, and then externally, and hence is not disadvantaged, but half the students of a teacher get advantaged against the rest of their grade. Lest we forget that this all relies on the external exam; which is not marked internally, and has no possiblity of students being disadvantaged in that exam, which in turn ensures that their internal marks are alligned properly.

--> if your student group (especially in a school that has only recently started the course) are not strong students then your marks will suffer. Yes, I do realise that this is completely subjective and will vary from class to class, year to year across the state, i was merely offering it as something to be considered
That's true with any subject, and is totally irrelevant to extension history, and more importantly the major work.

Don't you understand that if it was advantageous for the whole extension history year group to be marked externally, it would? It's simple- EE2 is marked externally because of the great difficulty marking something as subjective as short story. History essay marks are not subjective by nature; if you have a shit teacher, tough- it's the same as you being in any other subject.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
PwarYeux said:
Don't you understand that if it was advantageous for the whole extension history year group to be marked externally, it would?
which is why the question of marking the major work externally has been put up for consideration by the board.

And because ever student is eventually compared with their group, they are in the same boat as each other.
possibly the biggest load of rubbish i've ever heard in my entire life...apart from the rest of your post of course.
for someone who claims to inly be interested in helping people you seem to keep yourself fairly busy on personal vendettas. im not going to bother to reply to the rest of your post, having no wish to waste my time on someone like you. get a life.

X

xeuyrawp

silvermoon said:
which is why the question of marking the major work externally has been put up for consideration by the board.
Unfortunately, neither what is put on this board or what anyone here thinks has any bearing on what the BOS do.

possibly the biggest load of rubbish i've ever heard in my entire life...apart from the rest of your post of course.
What a great argument. You're like a little kid, or a 3rd grade debater- "You should agree with us", "their arguments are like swiss cheese", etc.

for someone who claims to inly be interested in helping people you seem to keep yourself fairly busy on personal vendettas.
Coming from someone who systematically replied to 7 of my posts within 15 minutes after you went all bitchy?

im not going to bother to reply to the rest of your post, having no wish to waste my time on someone like you.
Always a good way to end an argument you're too fucking stupid to respond to.

get a life
And the finale piece de ignorance- the old "get a life" on the internet forums- the last resort when you're an idiodic bitch whose realised she's plain wrong. Lest we forget, we're on a forum and that 1. I have a life and 2. the trying to pretend I spend more time here and hence have no life has been proved time again futile.

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Thank you for all the advice everyone, I reallly appreciate your help. :)
At school, I've been told that if i do both Ext M.Hist and EE2, then they most likely expect me to drop to 2 unit maths. The teachers reckon that I won't be able to cope with soo many extensions. Is anyone in the same situation as me? Were you able to balance time for all your work and did you manage to get good results in the end??

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
I started this thread with the intention of getting some advice...so I'm really really sorry that it has caused arguments between a few people.

X

xeuyrawp

1/5kiwifruit said:
At school, I've been told that if i do both Ext M.Hist and EE2, then they most likely expect me to drop to 2 unit maths. The teachers reckon that I won't be able to cope with soo many extensions. Is anyone in the same situation as me? Were you able to balance time for all your work and did you manage to get good results in the end??
I did EE2, Extension History + Ancient, Extension Jap, and D&T.

In my experience, an extension is about the same workload as the 2Unit subject- Advanced English and EE1 got the same attention from me, as did Extension Jap and Extension History.

"Too many extensions" is a bit of a joke; they really should be saying "too many units", as an extension functioned like another subject for me.

I started this thread with the intention of getting some advice...so I'm really really sorry that it has caused arguments between a few people.
Welcome to the forum:p

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
1/5kiwifruit said:
I'm doing 13 units, and coping pretty well, but I only have 1 major work, and I purposefully chose it that way because my self discipline, honestly, is shit house.

I dont think theres any problem with doing many extensions - I think if you are a capable student, you should take the chance to actually extend your abilities, and not use this year just to cruise through, and get the syllabus spoon fed to you. I technically do 5 'units' of extension, and its fine, honestly. In hindsight, I wish I stuck with extension english, and I didnt because I thought I couldnt cope with all of it.

MaryJ_

HSC
Hey,
In my year there are a few people doing quite a few extensions and are doing really well. On the other hand there are just as many who have dropped because they didn't like the workload. In between there are average marks (which are still pretty great for ext subjects) but everybody is completely different. For me, I really enjoyed both ext hist and ext 2 english. I admit it took a lot out of me the week before they had to be handed in, but I thought it was worth it. Personally I wouldn't be able to choose between the two. They can both be done without too much of a headache if you do a bit every week or so and use holidays for research or anything else that needs more work. For ext 2 english there's no HSC exam, after week 6 of the final term you're free. Ext hist has an exam but it's doable, especially if you have a good teacher.
I've loved it, but whether you choose ext hist or ext 2 english will come down to what you enjoy most. If you have any q's ask away ;)

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
hey i do ext2eng and ext hist.i have 3 majorworks (vis art as well)
personally i found the ext hist major week alot easier than ext2eng
basically in ext hist there are less assessments, and the majorwork is half the length that the minimum ext2 major work has to be. i do 11 units. and term2 is incredibly stressful. if u take too many major works, there will be alot of tears.
another thing about ext hist- u tend to have tiny classes and this can be stressful because nobody wants to be ranked last. but overall. the workload in ext hist is smaller than that of ext2eng. so if ur not doing any other major works and u know what you're going to do for ext hist and ext2eng then go for it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)