History Ext Topics (1 Viewer)

xander89

HSC
Just for interest what topics have you guys done for your major works? post them if u can be bothered.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
My question was "What role did Greece play in the outcome of World War II in Europe?", linking to "How has history been constructed and recorded over time?"

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I started off with: Debates on the Great Schism (Catholic church split with the Greek orthodox) but there was like no information on it so i tried a topic on the conversion of constantine.

After about a month into the constantine topic the teachers told me i couldnt do it because a person had done a similar project the year before...

So i ended up doing different historical interpretations of Alexander the great and how they have changed over time. (Including construction of history etc etc)
This project was heaps harder than the previous two and I only just finished my draft (3000 words over the 2500 limit....) Meh...i shld b a sleep or studyin for the trials now so sorry if this doesnt make sense and is incomplete
bye

nwatts

HSC
How did Ernesto “Che” Guevara’s early life shape him into a volatile political leader who would dominate the Cuban revolution of 1959?

It was shit.

xander89

HSC
hey sound like cool topics. has anyone done things other than the debates surronding an event, place, etc.?? most of the peops at my school did things like laurence of arabia, holocaust, etc. but i know u can do other types of topics as well, cheers.

daledugahole

HSC
Was Giuseppe Garibaldi more of a help or hindrance to the unification of Italy?

Most people I know did debates and also the majority of people I know chose a historical figure rather than an event.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
"How has the post-modern context of historians affected the way they write about Reagan’s role in America in the 1980s (with focus on ‘restoring psychological optimism’)?"

most people i know did a 'modern history' type topic. looking at my fellow 06ers, it seems that its true for others as well!

Kegs

HSC
I know I did it a while ago, and I cant even remember the title, but just for the sake of it, the topic was...

How have representations of war in film changed, looking at the Battle of the Bulge.

I will post the question if I ever find a copy of it again. The others in my class did David Irving and the Holocaust denial and some Ancient History figure. Not good with remembering Ancient peoples.

emanuellasker

HSC
I'd just like to say, that throughout this year, I have had a really great teacher for history extension and ancient history. A teacher, always willing to help me out with any queries and give up so much of his time to assist me. He has made my experience with history extension quite memorable and it will be sad for me to leave to uni next year. As for my topic, it is "Compare and contrast the differing interpretations of Augustus Caesar throughout time."

Bec-B

HSC
Okay, first time poster, and if i was going to post about anything, it'd be history, so here goes...

someone said a while back that most people in their class did historical figures rather than events- this is usually a good idea, because you can better sources on personalities than events most of the time, particularly regarding bias and perspective of the author's.

anyhow, i've just picked up extension for my hsc next year, and am thinking of doing che guevara or jezebelle (the queen of phonecia from the bible and basically the most hated woman of all time). but it's early days yet so i'm still open!

I'd love to hear anyone else whose just picked up extensions ideas as well, or even people who've done it in the past/ are doing it now.

Oh, and last but not least...good luck to all you hsc-ers for thursday, and the rest of your exams!

Bec

Bec-B

HSC
emanuellasker said:
I'd just like to say, that throughout this year, I have had a really great teacher for history extension and ancient history. A teacher, always willing to help me out with any queries and give up so much of his time to assist me. He has made my experience with history extension quite memorable and it will be sad for me to leave to uni next year. As for my topic, it is "Compare and contrast the differing interpretations of Augustus Caesar throughout time."

Yeah, a good teacher makes all the difference. my history teacher is amazing, she rocks, but the school really hate her because she trains us all up to be opinionated, which the people in charge don't like :p

*emi*

HSC
yay for 07 history ext-ers...
going to be great fun guys =P
NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING FOR MAJOR WORK
and my teacher wants ideas next week
:S

Robdudley

HSC
Hey im doing who really fough the trojan war just because of general interest in the trojan war and the myth surrounding homer and his work on the iliad and odyssey
Rob Dudley
Narrabeen Sports High

georgie.girl

HSC
I'm talking about how countries deal with dodgy national history (mostly through national museums and monuments)
Like Germany has to deal with war guilt and the holocaust and have heaps of holocaust mueseums, Sth africa still has museums left over from aparthied with new anti-aparthied museums being built.

Museums as history is a really interesting topic if anyone is still struggling for a focus. Its very political.

Silencio

HSC
georgie.girl said:
I'm talking about how countries deal with dodgy national history (mostly through national museums and monuments)
Like Germany has to deal with war guilt and the holocaust and have heaps of holocaust mueseums, Sth africa still has museums left over from aparthied with new anti-aparthied museums being built.

Museums as history is a really interesting topic if anyone is still struggling for a focus. Its very political.
I was going to do something similar to that, though focusing more on how Nazi propaganda during WW II perverted German history (i.e. campaigns to legitimise Aryan dominance by claiming racial superiority, assimilation of Holy Roman Empire history into German history, black propaganda against Jewish history, the perversion of historical symbols such as the Swastika etc.)

It was a weak argument and I wasn't sure whether it had enough connection to historiography, so that has been dropped.

Now i'm doing an exploration of Intentionalism and Functionalism viewpoints in regards to the origins of the Holocaust, though I am very behind... and my teacher hasn't given me any feedback :(

X

xeuyrawp

Silencio said:
Now i'm doing an exploration of Intentionalism and Functionalism viewpoints in regards to the origins of the Holocaust, though I am very behind... and my teacher hasn't given me any feedback :(
You have like 50 hist ext students, 10 hist major uni students, 4 hist ext teachers, 2 hist ext HSC markers here willing to give feedback.

zaqwerty

HSC
I'm going to be looking at the Royal Conspiracy Theory behind the Jack the Ripper murders, and will be investigating why it is the most popular theory even though it is the most easily disproved.

renboach

HSC
explaining historical issues concerning subjectivity and decontextualisation using the media responses to the vietnam war and agent orange. looking at the misrepresentation of facts, sensationalism, and the manipulation of public attitudes.

X

xeuyrawp

renboach said:
explaining historical issues concerning subjectivity and decontextualisation using the media responses to the vietnam war and agent orange. looking at the misrepresentation of facts, sensationalism, and the manipulation of public attitudes.
You don't have to use big words to have a good mark, you know... =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)