hitler's rise to power (1 Viewer)

darshil

Replicant
HSC
This is a pretty interesting question i think:

To what extent was Hitler's rise to power in the period 1928-1933 the result of the great depression?

So far I think that the great depression certainly did make the task easier for Hitler but it alone could not have bought hitler into power.

• I guess the political instability affected that rise of power (Weak coalitions etc)
  • The extensive political intrigue going around in Hindenburg's circle (i.e. Schlieder and all those militaristic people affect decision)
  • And what about the SPD's inability to cooperate with other parties so they could undermine Hitlers e.g. when they had full majority they could have done a lot but they did not (due to conflicits etc).
What are your opinions junior historians?

Thanks for all the help.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Maybe also the fact that Hitler provided hope to the Germans during a time when they were demoralized and impoverished.

A lot of them thought Hitler could get them out of the depths of depression, and I think a lot of people forget he was actually quite a charismatic and well spoken person. He exploited their desperation and vulnerability.

e2009

HSC
hey,
so i say, to a great extent Hitler's rise to power was due to the Great Depression because it gave Hitler the opportunity to preach to people who were generally weakened by the crippled economy.
With out the G.D the Weimar republic would continue to grow and work the Young plan over the 60 year period, but due to the recall of reparations from the U.S, everyone suddenly realized that their government was just masking their debt by taking money from another country.
Also, the G.D highlighted the idea that the current government was merely all "smoke and mirrors".

The appeal of the Nazi Party was that they promised what the current government could not provide, and they basically provided ideas as solutions. In desperate times people will look to the loudest voice i guess.

Also, you can say that although the great depression was the main reason for Hitler's rise to power, we can already see support mounting for him and the Nazi party during the 1920's when hyperinflation was at its peak.. proving more that Hitler was opportunistic with his approach to gaining power, and used the depression as a leverage, to get his point across...

Hope I made a little sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)