HIV disclosure (1 Viewer)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Have to? Nope.

Should you? Definitely. You'd be a pretty enormous scumbag if you didn't. This goes for all STD/I's though.

Tasteless

HSC
"NSW is the only state where people with HIV are still compelled to disclose their status to sexual partners"

wtf

i thought this was like a global(ish) very much a must do

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Should you have to tell a sexual partner if you are HIV+?
Yes

That's just dangerous.

You're endangering another person by not telling them, they have the right to know what they are getting themself into and whether they should proceed with a sexual relationship with the infected.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yes

That's just dangerous.

You're endangering another person by not telling them, they have the right to know what they are getting themself into and whether they should proceed with a sexual relationship with the infected.
yeah but like no lol

There are definitely circumstances in which someone can be unaware of their HIV status and then potentially infect another person, thereafter that same person could sue/press charges on those grounds even though they didn't knowingly deceive that party. At the very least, the law should be amended to include language which includes deception by the HIV+ individual.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I was referring to people who KNOW they are HIV+ not those who were unaware when posing the question. Will amend OP.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
PS my view: I struggled with this for a bit, there's no doubt in my mind that there's a moral obligation to tell your partner if you are HIV+, but I can see circumstances in which you might not whilst still practicing safe sex. So whether it should be a legal obligation, idk, probably, at the very least of asked there should be a legal obligation to answer truthfully

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Yes

That's just dangerous.

you're endangering yourself by having unprotected sex with strangers

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
yeah but like no lol

There are definitely circumstances in which someone can be unaware of their HIV status and then potentially infect another person, thereafter that same person could sue/press charges on those grounds even though they didn't knowingly deceive that party. At the very least, the law should be amended to include language which includes deception by the HIV+ individual.
if you are unaware of your HIV status, such as if you are stage 1 or 2 and are therefore asymptomatic, or you have no reason to think you have contracted HIV (you had sex with someone who did not inform you, say) you cannot be held liable (criminal or civil) for transmitting the infection to another person. there's no guilty mind (intent to transmit, or wilful ignorance etc) and therefore no crime. in this regard no criminal or civil charges can be made, and as always, the onus of proof is always on the prosecution.

if you have a guilty mind, it's a different story. unfortunately there isn't much of a substantive base to go on regarding transmission of HIV - there has been only one criminal trial in NSW,(Kanengele-Yondjo v Regina (NSW, 2006) so as of yet you may or may not be guilty of murder or manslaughter through transmission.

the law should not be amended to include any HIV-specific language. this is, in fact, the opposite of how the law has developed. all HIV-specific language and law has, over time, been amended, due it being highly discriminatory and stigmatising of the disease and its sufferers. an example of the discriminatory nature of such laws is evident in R vs Barry (QLD, 1989), where an HIV+ aboriginal man who smeared feces on a police officer's face was found guilty of the wilful exposure of another to a grievous bodily disease (a law pretty much made for HIV). i believe all states/territories have repealed willful exposure as a criminal offence and language specific to HIV. the crime is transmitting the infection and is covered under the general offence of grievous bodily harm (this is the international standard, endorsed by UNAIDS). while it is a tragic and unique disease, there is no reason for any special mention of HIV under law. the article linked by townie is misleading because in NSW, you must inform a sexual partner about having any STI, not just HIV.

the NSW law townie refers to is not enforced and would likely collapse under a serious challenge because it arguably contravenes the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (signed and ratified by Australia, 1980) and the Commonwealth Human Rights (Sexual Conduct) Act, 1994, where sexual conduct involving consenting adults acting in private is not subject to any arbitrary political interference with privacy.

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
PS my view: I struggled with this for a bit, there's no doubt in my mind that there's a moral obligation to tell your partner if you are HIV+, but I can see circumstances in which you might not whilst still practicing safe sex. So whether it should be a legal obligation, idk, probably, at the very least of asked there should be a legal obligation to answer truthfully
but condoms aren't 100% effective

I don't think it should be a legal issue, but I definitely think there's a moral obligation to share that information with someone you're sleeping with. I imagine most of the time that information would be shared (absolutely no stats to back it up here). Even if you do make it a legal obligation, how is it going to be policed? Only real issues will be when people come to suing etc, but I don't think it will make a huge difference in most day-to-day situations (again, nothing to support this but my own opinions, I'm prepared to be wrong etcetc).

Personally, if I were to become infected even after 'reasonable measures' were taken to prevent that from happening, I'd be royally pissed and probably consider suing.

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Personally, if I were to become infected even after 'reasonable measures' were taken to prevent that from happening, I'd be royally pissed and probably consider suing.
if the law is that reasonable precauations are an adequate defence in regards to transmission without disclosure, it is you who is at fault for not being aware of the law and your protections under it as a 'victim'.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
if the law is that reasonable precauations are an adequate defence in regards to transmission without disclosure, it is you who is at fault for not being aware of the law and your protections under it as a 'victim'.
But the problem remains that I'm then placed in a situation that would not have eventuated if I was fully aware of the circumstances and was beyond my control, but not beyond the control of the person I'd slept with.

I guess in practice that would mean I'm pro legislation making it compulsory to inform a partner of their HIV status.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
But the problem remains that I'm then placed in a situation that would not have eventuated if I was fully aware of the circumstances and was beyond my control, but not beyond the control of the person I'd slept with.

I guess in practice that would mean I'm pro legislation making it compulsory to inform a partner of their HIV status.
theres no evidence that disclosure has any influence on HIV transmission rates though.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Absolutely it should be a legal issue. GBH assault or something even more serious if it can be proven that the disease was in-fact transmitted.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
theres no evidence that disclosure has any influence on HIV transmission rates though.
Awareness (of the disease and impacts of it etc) does though - rates of transmission dropped significantly in the early 90s when people became aware of what it meant to contract and live with HIV/AIDS. And I'd suggest that in the absence of specific stats, it's reasonable to extrapolate those findings. While there's no particular study I can refer to, disclosure would likely have an influence on transmission rates.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Absolutely it should be a legal issue. GBH assault or something even more serious if it can be proven that the disease was in-fact transmitted.
it already is a crime...

Awareness (of the disease and impacts of it etc) does though - rates of transmission dropped significantly in the early 90s when people became aware of what it meant to contract and live with HIV/AIDS. And I'd suggest that in the absence of specific stats, it's reasonable to extrapolate those findings. While there's no particular study I can refer to, disclosure would likely have an influence on transmission rates.
what i'm saying is that studies of legislated and voluntary disclosure have demonstrated that disclosure has no influence on transmission rates. it is troubling that non-disclosure should ever be equated with assault, murder, manslaughter. but more importantly, i just don't think mandating disclosure is productive. in any court proceedings, the failure to disclose your HIV status would be interpreted as a form of fraud, thus vitiating consent and making the sexual act an assault, as separate from the crime of transmitting HIV. if you don't want to be found guilty of a crime, you already have an imperative to disclose.

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
it already is a crime...

what i'm saying is that studies of legislated and voluntary disclosure have demonstrated that disclosure has no influence on transmission rates.
Any chance you have a link to one of these studies? I wasn't aware there were any on HIV/AIDS in Australia. Though I think there are some in America/Netherlands.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Any chance you have a link to one of these studies? I wasn't aware there were any on HIV/AIDS in Australia. Though I think there are some in America/Netherlands.
i don't think there are any useful studies in australia. as for other studies,

Simoni & Pantalone, 'Secrets and safety in the age of AIDS: does HIV disclosure lead to safer sex?' in Topics in HIV Medicine, 2004 no. 12, pp. 109-118.
Crepaz & Marks , 'Serostatus disclosure, sexual communication and safer sex in HIV-positive men.' AIDS Care, 2003, no. 15, pp. 379-387.
Burris S et al., 'Do criminal laws influence HIV risk behaviour? An empirical trial.' Arizona State Law Journal, 2007, no. 39, pp. 467-517

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah but like no lol

You didn't read the article, did you hon'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)