Hokay, someone plz help me for my SGP (1 Viewer)

shaza23q

HSC
I'm new one this website, and i really need help for my SGP.

I'm doing Urban Growth and Decline.
And because i live in Wollongong, i decided to ask the question. What impact does the growth of one major city have on another.

So i'm doing the growth of Wollongong and the Decline of port Kembla.
I want to know why Port Kembla had declined and why Wollongong is growing.

Do you think this is a good topic?
And what can i do for information. Where can i find it?
I'm so confused, i have no idea what i'm doing lol.
Please help me!

shoutoutloud

HSC
hey!
I think its more about interviewing local residents, council memberts etc. if you need help om me and ill be happy to help where i can :S!

trekkie

HSC
Theres a good book by Erik Eklund called Steel Town: The Making and Breaking of Port Kembla, its new and your local library should have it and it will give you an excellent historical grounding for your work (ive checked its available at Corrimal
Dapto, Thirroul, Unanderra, Warrawong, Wollongong libraries), but interviewing and surveying is definately a way to go maybe looking at changing occupations, lifestyles over the year etc. You could also examine some maps from different era's look at land use etc and how this has had an effect on one town or the other, but this would be a really good topic if you can manage it well , pm me and ill help as much as i can

shaza23q

HSC
trekkie said:
Theres a good book by Erik Eklund called Steel Town: The Making and Breaking of Port Kembla, its new and your local library should have it and it will give you an excellent historical grounding for your work (ive checked its available at Corrimal
Dapto, Thirroul, Unanderra, Warrawong, Wollongong libraries), but interviewing and surveying is definately a way to go maybe looking at changing occupations, lifestyles over the year etc. You could also examine some maps from different era's look at land use etc and how this has had an effect on one town or the other, but this would be a really good topic if you can manage it well , pm me and ill help as much as i can
ahh thanks heaps for that, but i have finished the assignment, lol. would have been a little more useful a few weeks back but ahwell, thanks anyways.
yeah i did simualar things as to what you have said.

trekkie

HSC
lol ok, wasnt sure but i thought id give it a shot anyway, i know a few ppl with their SGP's due soon

expertdkx

B.IT Network Security
HSC
Uni Grad
in this case u gotta do 2 things
1st. make a survey for the growing urbanisation in Wollongong
2nd. make another set of survey for the declining of urbanisation in Port Kemba

then compare both
then make a graph showing the decline and growth
compare in terms of years
eg. 2008, 2007, and so on
then the statistics

but it easy...:)

lewis99

HSC
Hi there,

I think your basic idea is a sound one, however you would need to look at the development and expansion of the Warrawong shopping centre as well as Wollongong. You would also need to include other factors like the decline in the workforce employed at BHP, as many unskilled workers were located in Port Kembla.

Sarah92

HSC
Uni Grad
For my year 10 geography project last year, we had to study urban growth and decline in one of the suburbs that is undergoing a lot of construction....ie - lots of apartments, and new shops/etc being built. I interviewed older people who had been living in the area for a while to find their opinion on it, and then compared that with the opinions of younger generations. It was interesting to see the contrasting views.

Also, taking pics over a period of time is great. I found pictures of what the suburb was like 20-30 years ago, then through the duration of the project i took more pictures.

So bascially, surveys and photographs are a good option to consider.

Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)