Homosexuality - Choice or No? Disorder or No? (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
jumb said:
I have to agree here, if you bring up someone with them being totally ignorant to the idea of homosexuality, then it is near impossible that they will be a homosexual. For example, I've never heard of a gay amish.
If an Amish person was homosexual it is unlikely they would come back after their timeperiod in which they are allowed to experience the outside world (at around 16).

jumb said:
Offtopic: just for a laugh i looked up that word, and it says

"No entry found for heteronormativity.

Did you mean To run mad after?"
Heteronormativity is a term used in the discussion of gender and society, mostly, but not exclusively within the field of critical theory. It is used to describe, and, frequently, to criticize how many social institutions and social policies are seen to reinforce certain beliefs. These include the belief that human beings fall into two distinct and complementary categories, male and female; that sexual and marital relations are normal only when between two people of different genders;...

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
homosexuality is genetic in that the brain is leaning more towards the feminine side ( for a male ) and so is more likely to be attracted towards men or so I am lead to believe.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Asquithian said:
the only thing stopping another guy getting off with another guy or another girl getting off with another girl is all in the mind...and what is in the mind and how we interact as humans is often based on social constructions of our roles in society that are bashed into us by simply existing in this world.

There is nothing physically stopping me from being attracted to another male. Same goes for female to female.
This reminds me of my other point, when it comes to homosexuality in men, it seems that most of them are doing it for sex. When there's things like the glory hole's available, sex seems so easy to get when you're gay.

Lesbians are different though.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It's actually more of a moasic.

But then again the Lesbian brain seems to be near completly female.
Gay men read maps like women
They use landmarks to map a route - like women - but also employ straight-man strategies, suggesting their brains are "sexual mosaics"

m_isk

HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
At the very least a predisposition (I believe, and backed up by research) towards homosexuality from genetic influences in some people and natal conditions in some as well.

Mothers' genetic skew linked to gay sons
I don't think that the link between homosexuality in parents and their children is genetic at all. It is purely environmental: a child consistently exposed to homosexuality will not view it as an abnormality to the smae degree a child with heterosexual parents will. Furthermore, from a Christian viewpoint, homosexuality cannot be genetic. We are placed on the earth, essentially, to get to heaven. Homosexuality is a great sin -so how can a fair and just God program someone to go to hell? He can't. :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
m_isk said:
I don't think that the link between homosexuality in parents and their children is genetic at all. It is purely environmental: a child consistently exposed to homosexuality will not view it as an abnormality to the smae degree a child with heterosexual parents will. Furthermore, from a Christian viewpoint, homosexuality cannot be genetic. We are placed on the earth, essentially, to get to heaven. Homosexuality is a great sin -so how can a fair and just God program someone to go to hell? He can't. :D
So you are saying that one who is not exposed to it as an abnormality will repress it? Or that one that is exposed to it will be more accepting. :rolleyes: Mind pointing out the errors with what I posted then?

If a god is all powerful then said god could do whatever the fuck they want.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
misk, how can environment be the only cause? unless i didnt understand your post.

back in the day where homosexuality was taboo, and heterosexuality was the only way to go, i think there was still a healthy number of gay people....

i spoke to a gay guy at uni, he was saying that he knew he was gay in highschool because he'd have huge crushes on them, despite that he knew his crushes were all straight. It's not particularly hard to be gay in a dominantly non-gay area...

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
neo_o said:
Is homosexuality a disorder? If not, do you believe that sexual orientation (and/or a predisposition towards homosexuality) is determined purely or primarily by genetics? Discuss.
Homosexuality is a mental disorder.

m_isk

HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
So you are saying that one who is not exposed to it as an abnormality will repress it? Or that one that is exposed to it will be more accepting. :rolleyes: Mind pointing out the errors with what I posted then?

If a god is all powerful then said god could do whatever the fuck they want.
no errors in your post mate...i skimmed it so i probably misunderstood something based on your defensive response. hahahaha....
and if God is all powerful, yes he can do whatever he wants, but because he is fair, he won't. :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
m_isk said:
no errors in your post mate...i skimmed it so i probably misunderstood something based on your defensive response. hahahaha....
and if God is all powerful, yes he can do whatever he wants, but because he is fair, he won't. :)
So fair as in "Lets give people free will, oh no they dont believe in me!!!!!!! :chainsaw: DIE AND BURN IN THE PITS OF HELL FOREVER I CREATED YOU AND BECAUSE YOU DIDNT FOLLOW ME YOU MUST BURN!!!!! :chainsaw:"

Neo_o: Why did you have to do this again, you know how it ends up:

Asquithian, Moonlightsonata etc and I post for the first 5 or so pages, then give up.

I post lots of links to newscientist articles and other articles from newspapers etc (where the list grows as time comes by) but no one reads the post because they have the attention span of a hamster.

Supermegacommunists and godisgreatchristians argue for the next 99 pages with the occasional witty comment thrown in by one of the regulars.

You post occasionaly once the discussion turns to gay marriage until someone reposts what we have already agreed upon and then they continue anyway.

Really you could've picked something new and interesting :p

Last edited:

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Asquithian said:
There is nothing physically stopping men and women getting off with members of their own sex as well as members of the opp sex.

So doesn't that mean, like most other social interactions, our behaviour of exclusive sexuality is based on social constructions?

There is nothing stopping me getting off with male A. The only thing stopping me actually doing it with male A is social values and society that had bashed into me that I should not be attracted to men. It simply becomes the accepted norm that for the sake of reproduction you pair with a female. (This of course assumes that sex is purely for gratitfication and not for reproductive and that sex is simply the act of getting eachother off) Even though physically and mechanically I can get off with another guy. Same applied for another female.
I agree...

Actually, i believe that we are all bi but just don't know it. Of course i have no evidence to back that up so dont ask for any pls...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
oh yay, my arch nemisis iamsickofyear12, shall we make it 3 for 3??? i'll try keep my abuse 2 a minimum, except pointing out
Adams HE, Wright LW, & Lohr BA(1996) Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal? Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 105, 440-445

on the issue of homosexuality, i firmly believe it is part nature, part nurture. about 70-30.

i believe that: some1 can be predisposed to homosexuality, and become it, or not become it, as the mind can overcome the body. people can also choose to be homosexual, but i believe that is more an intense desire for sex, rather than homosexuality. having a sex with somebody doesnt always = homosexuality

edit: i certainly didnt CHOOSE homosexuality, and i certainly dont have a mental disorder

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
miss_b said:
I agree...

Actually, i believe that we are all bi but just don't know it. Of course i have no evidence to back that up so dont ask for any pls...
Kinsey study found near similar lines (with around 10% exclusively heterosexual, 5% or so exclusively homosexual and the rest inbetween with most towards the heterosexual end).

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Xayma said:
Kinsey study found near similar lines (with around 10% exclusively heterosexual, 5% or so exclusively homosexual and the rest inbetween with most towards the heterosexual end).
So there is evidence!! yay!!

But i seriously don't see how people can be exclusively hetero or homo...

Why not have the best of both worlds? There's more choice that way...

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
miss_b said:
So there is evidence!! yay!!

But i seriously don't see how people can be exclusively hetero or homo...

Why not have the best of both worlds? There's more choice that way...
they're called, bisexuals.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Your gender is defined by your brain than physical appearance. You get people who are born with male characteristics but their brains are that of females. Look up www.newscientist.com , they've got articles which have done extensive research on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)