HONOUR ROLL Out Early?? (1 Viewer)

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Yeah I know a guy a few years back who got 98 in 2u but decided to do 4u in hopes of a better mark through scaling but ended up getting 89. If he got a band 6 in 4u then he would have gotten 99.95 (he got 99.90). On the other hand, there's a guy in my year who was an accelerant and got 100 in 2u and so wisely didn't go for 4u maths cause obviously you can't beat a 50 aggregate.
There may be scenarios in which it is worth risking 100 in 2U to sit 4U. For example, if 3U & 4U marks are likely to be 98 and mark in next best subject is likely to be <94, then sitting 4U would score 196 out of best four units, whereas not sitting would score <196 (ie. 100 + 49 + <47). My son scored a 98 in 2U and is waiting for his 4U results which we know from the leaked list is 90+, but he has a year to go, so if he gets <98 in 4U, he will resit as he knows he can do better than that, though it'd be nice if he didn't as he likes to spend a lot of time on music & sports.

Last edited:

HSC
One advantage of accelerated is that often you can have <10 units, so you do have more time for 4u.

You can also start 4u and see how you went with 2u when results are released, and how hard 4u is compared to your expectations.

KB2230

HSC
How common is accelerating I've literally never heard of it before y'all started talking about it on this thread.

Luke322

HSC
One advantage of accelerated is that often you can have <10 units, so you do have more time for 4u.

You can also start 4u and see how you went with 2u when results are released, and how hard 4u is compared to your expectations.
4u definitely has gotten easier; the old syllabus was quite a bit harder

Luke322

HSC
How common is accelerating I've literally never heard of it before y'all started talking about it on this thread.
Pretty common in like the top 50 and private schools but others don't offer it. I know my school is actually ending accelerated courses for chemistry and is thinking about ending it for maths as well. Some schools let people accelerate more than 1 year (usually for maths and science) if they're really good but that's pretty rare.

Luke322

HSC
There may be scenarios in which it is worth risking 100 in 2U to sit 4U. For example, if 3U & 4U marks are likely to be 98 and mark in next best subject is likely to be <94, then sitting 4U would score 196 out of best four units, whereas not sitting would score <196 (ie. 100 + 49 + <47). My son scored a 98 in 2U and is waiting for his 4U results which we know from the leaked list is 90+, but he has a year to go, so if he gets <98 in 4U, he will resit as he knows he can do better than that, though it'd be nice if he didn't as he likes to spend a lot of time on music & sports.
Yeah thats true but 4u is significantly harder than 2u so for most people its safer to not do it if you've gotten 99 or 100 already. Congrats to your son for getting a band 6 in 4u, that's a very impressive achievement.

KB2230

HSC
Pretty common in like the top 50 and private schools but others don't offer it. I know my school is actually ending accelerated courses for chemistry and is thinking about ending it for maths as well. Some schools let people accelerate more than 1 year (usually for maths and science) if they're really good but that's pretty rare.
Ah that makes sense my school was top 150 for the first time ever last year and there aren't any private schools in my area so not surprising I haven't heard of it.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
It's actually so much easier to offer acceleration now that there are programs like Maths Pathways & Maths Online. They didn't have do any rescheduling or anything special for my son, who just worked a few years ahead of his classmates with these programs which everyone in the class used. School wasn't even in the top 400, though it has climbed a bit in rankings.

Luke322

HSC
It's actually so much easier to offer acceleration now that there are programs like Maths Pathways & Maths Online. They didn't have do any rescheduling or anything special for my son, who just worked a few years ahead of his classmates with these programs which everyone in the class used. School wasn't even in the top 400, though it has climbed a bit in rankings.
Oh awesome, good for him.

Jojofelyx

HSC
yeah this is kinda confusing

like do they count 3u as 2 units bc they sat the 4u exam and also include their 2u results when calculating atar
yeah i get that, but in terms of getting on the all rounder list would they consider it as being 2 units accel, and then the x1 math stays worth 2u because they sat x2 in year 12? bringing the tally of b6's up to 10? ah shit confusing lol

vishnay

God
HSC
yeah i get that, but in terms of getting on the all rounder list would they consider it as being 2 units accel, and then the x1 math stays worth 2u because they sat x2 in year 12? bringing the tally of b6's up to 10? ah shit confusing lol
i have no clue lol

hope ur friend makes all-rounder

HSC
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no. From NESA's perspective, when you complete 4u after 2u, your 2u is basically wiped from your record, and your 3u and 4u results count as 2 units each, as if you had done them all in the same year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)