Hot Hatches for sub-30k (1 Viewer)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
BTW there is new laws coming out in Jan 2014 that will allow P-Platers to drive turbos...providing the power to weight ratio is no more than 130kw/per tonne....It means you can drive a slightly de-tuned xr6-turbo...doing drifties and 0-100 in 5.5 secs...can get them second hand still in warranty for 26 K...
I know, but this doesn't change the higher insurance premiums for turbo cars.

Most likely they will put some law which restricts it to economy type cars. The only reason they are changing it is to allow small turbo hatchbacks etc which are fuel efficient like fiat 500's and golfs.

Also, they won't accept "detuned" cars, they go off OEM specifications.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
BTW there is new laws coming out in Jan 2014 that will allow P-Platers to drive turbos...providing the power to weight ratio is no more than 130kw/per tonne....It means you can drive a slightly de-tuned xr6-turbo...doing drifties and 0-100 in 5.5 secs...can get them second hand still in warranty for 26 K...
Pretty sure its the eco boost (4 cyl) falcon and not an xr6t you are thinking about.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
They handle very well..and you don't feel like your been driven by the car...its more like your driving the car...but they are as slow as wet whistle....put a turbo kit in for 5k....
Let's see how long it lasts... Takes alot more than the turbo and exhaust manifolds to make it reliable.

-Clutch
-ECU/tune
-fuel system

This stuff adds up, plus you're stupid if you don't do this when fitting a turbo. Also, the boxer engine has quite high compression so running FI isn't really the smartest thing unless you rebuilt it with lower compression. I think it's about 10:1 or 11:1.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
On a legit note. I might actually get myself a type-r in several years time.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
They handle very well..and you don't feel like your been driven by the car...its more like your driving the car...but they are as slow as wet whistle....put a turbo kit in for 5k....
For what I want to use it for, I'm sure it's fast enough.

Any-mouse95

HSC
I know, but this doesn't change the higher insurance premiums for turbo cars.

Most likely they will put some law which restricts it to economy type cars. The only reason they are changing it is to allow small turbo hatchbacks etc which are fuel efficient like fiat 500's and golfs.

Also, they won't accept "detuned" cars, they go off OEM specifications.
\I rather pay insurance than have a crash and pay three times as much as insurance....

Just car insurance do a reasonable package.....

I know all that...I'll be tuning my FG xr6 mk11 limited to the 130 limit soon...

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
\I rather pay insurance than have a crash and pay three times as much as insurance....

Just car insurance do a reasonable package.....

I know all that...I'll be tuning my FG xr6 mk11 limited to the 130 limit soon...
What are you on about? I said turbo cars have higher insurance premiums than non turbo cars generally, i didn't say to not have insurance -.-

hahaha gg, enjoy your non turbo xr6.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
A proper turbo kit with everything to make it reliable will cost WAY more than that.

Fonzie32

HSC
You have 3 VW's on your list, anyone of them will be good!

But in all seriousness, a MK5/6 GTI would be great. Heaps of fun and great economy too. We have a MK6 GTI and MK5 R32 in the family, would never get a 86/BRZ as a "sports car" though.. Far too slow and makes no sound at all! Exhaust notes on the GTI and R32 are more than adequate from the factory, until you want more sound after a few months :D

There's a few R32s that are fairly priced and with great specs and good KM's out there.

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Bump for OzKo. Keep this thread running until he makes up his mind and buys a car.

One thing to be wary about with hot hatches is their ground clearance. From experience in a car with only 13cm ground clearance, you have to be careful of when driving over speed bumps or coming across potholes.

Also, you said you didn't want a WRX. Have you thought about just an impreza? You can get one 2-3 years old for around $13k at an auction.

And another note: Are you only interested in pure hot hatches? Would you say no to a station wagon? There are many Subaru and VW station wagons out on the market now.

Also, you may want to consider going to a few car auction warehouses and having a look at the pricing and stuff. However, be aware that many cars at auction may have faults, and you must have a look at the condition report so that everything is ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)