Hotel Rwanda (1 Viewer)

akrinis

HSC
I saw this movie last week with my Legal Studies Class. I enjoyed it but the violence was quite graphic and I found some of the killings disturbing. For anyone who's seen it, what do you think of the portrayal of the tutsi Genocide in Rwanda? Seeing as how the events depicted in the film are true, it disgusts me that some members of the U.N knew what was happening in Rwanda, but as the actor portraying Paul said, they "continue eating their dinners".

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
The movie is absolutely fantastic, got it on DVD a couple years back. The soundtrack really adds another dimension to it eg:

When the all the foreign nationals are leaving on buses and suddenly a French mission group suddenly appears. The music during that sequence gave me chills.

Nadiaaa

HSC
I watched it last year for extension english and I loved it.. it made me angry though, how the "western world" ignored what was happening. But yeah, amazing movie =]

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
quite the good movie.

the only way to make it better would have been if don cheadle's character was actually 'basher' from the oceans movies, accent, mannerisms and all. that would have been fantastic.

UN guy: Basher people are dead everywhere and you need to leave the hotel.

Basher: that's well bad innit! you best not be telling me pork pies flipping hutus are all up in their 6's and 7's and its gonna make me miss united play or nuffin innit? then i'll just be old billy not mates wif nuffin but my guiqly little jeffrey aight?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
?? I saw it a while ago and remember thinking that it was pretty dumb. I'm uncomfortable with genocide being made into an entertaining, profitable enterprise like this. Also, idk, I was unconvinced that he was living this perfect 'superior' western life until this came out of no where. The acting was underwheliming

no score

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
Unfortunately entertainment is the only way to communicate a message to so many of the morons of our day.
Also, of course the dollars and cents involved don't compare, but is it any different to writing a book about it? Both formats still typically require production/publishing companies to deem it monetarily viable before they can reach an audience.

Last edited:

Nadiaaa

HSC
I dont like calling it entertainment, even though it clearly is.
But it taught me about something I had no idea had happened, so obviously it's brought the genocides to peoples attention and has made them more aware.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
funkymonk is right. the nowadays mass media entertainment is the only way to get messages of any kind through to mass audiences. a movie about an issue will always spark more interest than some guy in a lab coat talking about it on conservative am radio for instance. just the way the world is nowadays.

HSC
we watched this about 5 times in legal last year.
i found it sooooo boring!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)