How are 07's finding prelim? (1 Viewer)

HSC
prelims........

well, when you've been leaving assignments and assessmnt task to da last minute, u kinda get used to a heavy workload, especially when u gotta do like 2-3 assignments in less than a week

i guess i'm used to it

i should be anyway, this is da third and last term

kathrynso

HSC
Lol, ah I think my best assignment was done about 2 or 3 days before due date, I felt so revieved and it felt good too not having to stay up and try to rush to finish it the night before.

Just a question: If I did very well in Standard English and also very well in all my other subjects, is it true that I won't get a very high UAI. eg. maximum 83 if lucky?

Raginsheep

HSC
kathrynso said:
Lol, ah I think my best assignment was done about 2 or 3 days before due date, I felt so revieved and it felt good too not having to stay up and try to rush to finish it the night before.

Just a question: If I did very well in Standard English and also very well in all my other subjects, is it true that I won't get a very high UAI. eg. maximum 83 if lucky?
It is entirely possible to get a very high uai doing standard if you do well in it and other subjects as well. This is no different to people who do advanced, ext1/2. However, alot of people who do standard don't do well in their other subjects....

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Maybe since english is based on essay writing, they won't do as well in other essay-based subjects compared to those who do advanced? lol, I dunno.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Raginsheep said:
However, alot of people who do standard don't do well in their other subjects....
That's a generalisation too broad ;)

Perhaps you meant that many people who do Standard English only for the fact that English is compulsory, but that doesn't quite mean that they're not capable in other subjects.

Raginsheep

HSC
airie said:
That's a generalisation too broad ;)

Perhaps you meant that many people who do Standard English only for the fact that English is compulsory, but that doesn't quite mean that they're not capable in other subjects.
Its not that broad a generalisation. Otherwise standard would scale better when calculating UAIs.

theodore223

God's reincarnate
HSC
Raginsheep said:
However, alot of people who do standard don't do well in their other subjects....
Well, in my experience,a majority of ppl who do standard dont really care about their UAI, so r ppl who dont apply themselves at all in school. Thats why there is the myth that standard students dont do well in other subjects.

By the way, im finding that tr 11 is pretty good, not to hard, not to easy. Im getting above 70 % or C's in all subjects, which is good as i havent developed a healthy study habit, yet.

Raginsheep

HSC
theodore223 said:
Well, in my experience,a majority of ppl who do standard dont really care about their UAI, so r ppl who dont apply themselves at all in school.
Umm....alot may not try and thats why
[quote-Raginsheep] alot of people who do standard don't do well in their other subjects....[/quote]
If they didn't try and didn't do well then they didn't do well. There's no two ways about it.

theodore223 said:
Thats why there is the myth that standard students dont do well in other subjects.
Its not a myth. If a good proportion of standard students did well in their other subjects, like I said before, then english standard would get scaled better when calculating UAIs.

kathrynso

HSC
Thanks guys, it does make me feel better. =)
I'm going to keep Adv. unless my teacher thinks it will be best to change to Standard. [hmm it smells like cat food in here] But i'm try hard to improve on them.

I'm finding it strange how my English essays are ifff, while essays for health and dance are good. It might not be strange seeing that my content knowledge for English was not quite adequate. I know what to improve... Sigh, must choose subject to drop.

Raginsheep

HSC
If changing from Advanced to Standard means going from like a final mark of 60 to a final mark of 90 then consider doing it.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Raginsheep said:
Its not that broad a generalisation. Otherwise standard would scale better when calculating UAIs.
Actually, Eng Adv and Std are scaled the same. Why would standard scale better otherwise though? :confused:

Raginsheep said:
If changing from Advanced to Standard means going from like a final mark of 60 to a final mark of 90 then consider doing it.
In that case, duh, by all means do so :p Problem is, many are not exactly clear about what sort of marks would they get if they do Standard.

Raginsheep

HSC
airie said:
Actually, Eng Adv and Std are scaled the same. Why would standard scale better otherwise though? :confused:

In that case, duh, by all means do so :p Problem is, many are not exactly clear about what sort of marks would they get if they do Standard.
Actually I probably shouldn't have mentioned scaling especially since a 90 in standard is better than a 90 in advanced in one of my uai calculators :p. Simple reason is a moderated mark 90 in standard pretty much is close to the top mark while 90 in advanced is only in the 10%...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)