• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How are any Accelerated Students Coping? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
bonniejjj said:
I'm really impressed that schools offer accelerated programs. I've never heard of this program, which I assume means the schools I've been to aren't quite so progressive, or just that regional schools don't offer it (correct me if i'm wrong.) The best my primary school could do was skip me up a year... education really is taking leaps and bounds, isn't it?
Not all schools offer such programs. In fact I would be inclined to say that the minority of schools offer an accelerated program of some sort.

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
yep.. i am currently doing extension one maths prelim. as an accelerating student.. quite a few schools are offering it.. we use to have a separate class until the end of year 10 maths course but as soon as we start prelim. we were in a class with the year 11s.. they think we are weird.. hmmm...

xx__savannah

HSC
Ok, well, my chem trial finished today, and as much as I was stressing, it wasn't so bad. Sure I didn't get it finished, but I answered most of them.
Anyway, bonniejjj, I reckon my school is sorta regional. It's got about 500 kids, maybe, and we're about half an hour away from the QLD border, and there's a fair few canefields around. Don't really know what others consider as regional, but it's pretty small and know one would really no of it. Despite that, all the younger science kids come to our school cos of this program.

It's a small school near the Coast, kadlil, you won't know it:p

Nesty said:
yep.. i am currently doing extension one maths prelim. as an accelerating student.. quite a few schools are offering it.. we use to have a separate class until the end of year 10 maths course but as soon as we start prelim. we were in a class with the year 11s.. they think we are weird.. hmmm...
Becasue almost everyone who would ahve done chem in Year 11 got accelerated, there are 4 people in the Year 11 chem class, and about 20 year 10s. Makes me not want to repeat, being thought of as too stupid by all the v. smart year 10s, but what can i do :p

Just a question to anyone who might know -- are the trials like the SC? I mean, theSC trials were hard but SC was easier, is it the same for HSC?

Last edited:
HSC
I wish my school offered accelerated courses :( I would of done english, IT and maths

get the annoying subjects out of the way and focus on the chemistry, SDD and BS

HSC
I think accelerating is really good because it gives you an idea what the HSC is like in year 11 (or 10), and it also takes some of the workload and stress off in year 12.

I did SDD (Software Design and Developement) in year 10 (Ruse accelerates everyone who does SDD or IPT in years 9-10), and I'm doing Ext 1 and Ext 2 maths and Cosmology this year (Year 11).

xx__savannah

HSC
Cosmology? Lucky duck. I heard SDD sucks, or maybe thats just the guy who does it online when i do my online subject. I was suppoised to have been accelerated through Computer Studies in 9-10, but that never happened, and I'm glad of it, because I only knew more basic html than the teacher and could type faster (which wasn't saying much).

And I know the SC is nothing compared to te HSC, velox, but I wanted to know whether it was like the SC in the fact that the trial was harder than the real thing.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
PtolemysPenguin said:
I think accelerating is really good because it gives you an idea what the HSC is like in year 11 (or 10), and it also takes some of the workload and stress off in year 12.

I did SDD (Software Design and Developement) in year 10 (Ruse accelerates everyone who does SDD or IPT in years 9-10), and I'm doing Ext 1 and Ext 2 maths and Cosmology this year (Year 11).
How is that Cosmology course?
Do you Aactually have to attend class or is it purely by correspondence?...I opted against taking a Distinction course coz I wasn't sure how much time it would take up.

HSC
It's purely by correspondance, except for two residentials of a few days each. It's pretty interesting.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
PtolemysPenguin said:
It's purely by correspondance, except for two residentials of a few days each. It's pretty interesting.
Does it take up a lot of your time? I heard that it's the most difficult of the Distinction courses...only around 10 people doing it??
I'm still doing 13 units (incl. the 2U of Maths I already did), and having 11 units has still turned out to produce quite a workload.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
xx__savannah said:
Cosmology? Lucky duck. I heard SDD sucks, or maybe thats just the guy who does it online when i do my online subject. I was suppoised to have been accelerated through Computer Studies in 9-10, but that never happened, and I'm glad of it, because I only knew more basic html than the teacher and could type faster (which wasn't saying much).
SDD would suck heaps if I didn't have such an awesome teacher :) Mrs Stewart is really sweet; she fills our time up with practical work. So yeah, I'm accelerating for SDD, but it's warped acceleration cause my friend Neha and I are doing both Y11 and Y12 work this year. At the beginning of the year my teacher was like, "Hey, it's a shame that you two are dropping SDD at the end of the year to pick up 4U Maths or English..." and we were like, "mhm..." Then she asked us, "Would you like to take HSC SDD this year?" Neha's reply was something like, "YES! AWESOME!" and she went off to study really really hard for it...my response was something closer to, "Meh, whatever. If you're doing it I'll do it, it sounds fun..."

I'm still doing 12 units next year regardless of what happens this year. Although I would like to do a distinction course, my mother's like, "trendy things...never get you anywhere...blahblahblah..." but I am praying that I may do well so I can try something different like Comp Lit as she won't let me do 4U English anymore...**glares**

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
SDD would suck heaps if I didn't have such an awesome teacher :) Mrs Stewart is really sweet; she fills our time up with practical work. So yeah, I'm accelerating for SDD, but it's warped acceleration cause my friend Neha and I are doing both Y11 and Y12 work this year. At the beginning of the year my teacher was like, "Hey, it's a shame that you two are dropping SDD at the end of the year to pick up 4U Maths or English..." and we were like, "mhm..." Then she asked us, "Would you like to take HSC SDD this year?" Neha's reply was something like, "YES! AWESOME!" and she went off to study really really hard for it...my response was something closer to, "Meh, whatever. If you're doing it I'll do it, it sounds fun..."

I'm still doing 12 units next year regardless of what happens this year. Although I would like to do a distinction course, my mother's like, "trendy things...never get you anywhere...blahblahblah..." but I am praying that I may do well so I can try something different like Comp Lit as she won't let me do 4U English anymore...**glares**
Your mum's not letting you do Eng Ext 2??
Why not? If you feel comfortable with the work, you should go ahead with it regardless of what other people say (yes, even your parents :p - and yes, I'm Asian :))

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
Well if I took Eng Ext 2 I would end up with 13 units which is "unlucky" so yeah...unfortunate but true. And a few people have said that another major work would kill me, because I'm a perfectionist. We had a Writing Folder in year 10 and I put my blood, sweat, tears and soul into it...freaked lots of teachers out...

I may be able to do some nice arty stuff if I do Comp Lit though...it would take an awful lot of convincing.
13 is unlucky:
a) if you're superstitious
b) generally if you're from a Western country

Your BoS username sounds Asian though I won't presume that you are...if you are, then isn't 4 unlucky, as opposed to 13? :) - hopefully it's not, coz I'm doing 13 units :(
I personally find 1 to be unlucky and 17 to be lucky, which is kind of a contradiction, but meh :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hhmm...something weird's happened to BoS. I posted in reply to stella, but my reply winded up before her's :confused: - or maybe I'm just able to predict the future :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)