• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How are any Accelerated Students Coping? (1 Viewer)

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Your mum's not letting you do Eng Ext 2??
Why not? If you feel comfortable with the work, you should go ahead with it regardless of what other people say (yes, even your parents :p - and yes, I'm Asian :))
Well if I took Eng Ext 2 I would end up with 13 units which is "unlucky" so yeah...unfortunate but true. And a few people have said that another major work would kill me, because I'm a perfectionist. We had a Writing Folder in year 10 and I put my blood, sweat, tears and soul into it...freaked lots of teachers out...

I may be able to do some nice arty stuff if I do Comp Lit though...it would take an awful lot of convincing.

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Does it take up a lot of your time? I heard that it's the most difficult of the Distinction courses...only around 10 people doing it??
I'm still doing 13 units (incl. the 2U of Maths I already did), and having 11 units has still turned out to produce quite a workload.
Not really all that much time.
There are about 30 people doing it.

I'm in year 11 with 14 units (incl cosmology, not including SDD which I already did)
Next year I'll have 8 units. :)

SDD was kind of really easy, but so boring you didn't want to study it.

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
13 is unlucky:
a) if you're superstitious
b) generally if you're from a Western country

Your BoS username sounds Asian though I won't presume that you are...if you are, then isn't 4 unlucky, as opposed to 13? :) - hopefully it's not, coz I'm doing 13 units :(
I personally find 1 to be unlucky and 17 to be lucky, which is kind of a contradiction, but meh :p
Yeah, I'm Asian, but my parents take any superstition they hear about to heart...mum likes to go on about Apollo 13.

PtolemysPenguin said:
SDD was kind of really easy, but so boring you didn't want to study it.
Graham! I'm appalled...lol just kidding. Anyhow, I think it's one of those subjects where how much you like the subject depends on your teacher - like I have an awesome teacher who got us hooked on Robocup dance sequences - and we do practicals something like 90% of the time (which means the Y11s have done next to nothing by way of textbook work). And she also lets us play any music we like, on laptops/ipods/mp3 players while we "work". And she's always like, "we need more girls to do sdd! blah blah" Studying, I admit, has to suck. But yeah, it's a pretty fun subject, nice and bludgy particularly after 10 lines of Virgil.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
Yeah, I'm Asian, but my parents take any superstition they hear about to heart...mum likes to go on about Apollo 13.
I guess your mum has a point about Apollo 13...to be honest I never really took any notice of that fact. :)

The only thing about superstitions is that they are self-perpetuating. If you think a number is unlucky and an event falls on that day, then you immediately have a negative attitude towards it, hence bringing about a poor performance and therefore justifying your superstition. That said, I'm superstitious at times, so I can't talk :rolleyes: :p

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I guess your mum has a point about Apollo 13...to be honest I never really took any notice of that fact. :)

The only thing about superstitions is that they are self-perpetuating. If you think a number is unlucky and an event falls on that day, then you immediately have a negative attitude towards it, hence bringing about a poor performance and therefore justifying your superstition. That said, I'm superstitious at times, so I can't talk :rolleyes: :p
Think I care? :p I respect what my mother thinks since I live under her roof, but I don't follow all her stuff like "don't sit on your desk, don't walk over your books, don't store your underwear above your head, don't keep your stationery with your socks..." everytime she comes into my room she has a blast at me, and tries to rearrange my stuff...**sigh** can't wait to turn 18!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)