How are CSSA trials marked? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Does each school mark their own students' papers or are the papers sent somewhere to be marked?
And if each school marks their own students', then do some schools mark harder than others?

Sorry for the retarded questions, but like I have no idea. It's because my school marks really stupid (like they even give negative marks for something) and in chemistry, they want answers to certain decimal places instead of significant figures. I'm really worried, I don't wanna be screwed up because of their shit marking lol.

ocatal

HSC
The papers are marked by the school using a marking criteria given by CSSA.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
The papers are marked by the school using a marking criteria given by CSSA.
ohmygawdd, does this mean schools can still potentially mark differently by any chance? Or are they ALL strictly marked to the same standard?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Schools mark the trials as they wish. They are given a marking criteria but could change that if they wanted to do so.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Schools mark the trials as they wish. They are given a marking criteria but could change that if they wanted to do so.
Pretty much this. The school just buys the paper from cssa and then after that the school marks as they "see fit". But in the real hsc you won't get negative marks or have to worry too much about significant figures

Thank_You

HSC
Wait whaaaat, how come for 3U math tests, the 'examiners' are listed at the bottom with difference teachers across different schools? Or is that just who wrote the paper...

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
Wait whaaaat, how come for 3U math tests, the 'examiners' are listed at the bottom with difference teachers across different schools? Or is that just who wrote the paper...
they are the people who wrote the paper.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
CSSA formally acknowledge the teachers who wrote the paper whereas the HSC doesn't do so. These teachers come from different schools within the CSSA structure while the HSC examiners (the ones who wrote the paper) will come from schools across all sectors - Selective public, selective private, comprehensive public, comprehensive private, catholic systemic, disadvantaged etc - not necessarily all on all committees but as far as possible all sectors are included on the exam writing committees.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
This years CSSA physics paper actually had people OUTSIDE of the catholic sector involved (a teacher from a public school in NW Sydney was part of setting the paper, as was a person from the Australian Institute of Physics)

I am actually attending an inservice next week with other teachers within the CEO to try and formalise marking procedures before we mark students from our own school.

This is to TRY and ensure the marking is consistent between different schools for the same paper.

So, to answer your question.. Perhaps some schools may mark harder than others, but there are inservices run to TRY and ensure they are marked to the same standard.. If teachers from YOUR school do not attend, then no guarantee that they are marked to the same standard...

that being said, I will probably still mark HARDER than the others anyway as I like perfection in my answers.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
There are a number of schools outside the Catholic schools (CEO and others) who take the CSSA exams and are now getting involved in the writing of the papers.

I haven't heard of any inservice however for the teachers to try to come to a standard - but then again my school believes that with the number of HSC markers we have - pretty well one per subject - we have the standard under control.

I always mark the Trials harder than I do the HSC - but that is normal from what I have gathered from all the teachers I know - we all mark the Trials harder as we want students to improve and we know that they have time to do so.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't heard of any inservice however for the teachers to try to come to a standard - but then again my school believes that with the number of HSC markers we have - pretty well one per subject - we have the standard under control.
Could just be a souff-west Sydney thing ;)

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
3 reprints is a bit bad - although I have had years with 2 reprints in one or other of the history papers - not to mention the number of times I, and others, have disagreed with the answers to the Multiple Choice questions.

I do think that CSSA, along with other exam setting organisations, are into cost cutting and so silly errors are creeping in which 10 years ago would have been picked up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)