How are law exams/assessments? (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Hehe, Frigid was so embarassed he deleted it!
i am the bermuda triangle of unnecessary posts. what is said does not need to stay etched on the boards.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hehe excuse my ignorance as a non-prospective law stoodent...but what exactly does "torts" mean? I've heard it quite alot in legal circles..

also another question...why do we have QCs in Australia when the influence of royalty is virtually nonexistent?

timmii

sporadic attendee
tort means "civil wrong", which probably doesn't elucidate much more for u huh? :rolleyes: They're one of the most commonly mentioned/reported law suits - things like negligence (medical negligence, that guy diving into a shallow end at bondi etc) and also trespass (motor vehicle accidents, fistfights etc)

We no longer have QCs for that very reason, emminent barristers are now appointed as SCs (senior counsel). :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
ooohhhh....i see....thank you for clarifying that :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i suppose if i study for my law degree in the UK and practise in the Old Bailey, i still can keep such a title?

coz SC just sound soooo year ten...

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
i may point out that university of mebourne has there notes ON THE NET FOR FREE :p
they dont seem to have any thing on torts??!!??!!
or do i just need my eyes checked...cos i cant find it:confused:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Isn't SC just NSW though? My lawyer (a few years ago I admit) said that it's SC in NSW but still QC (and later KC ;)) elsewhere within Australia...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
asqy, are my answer's SORT OF right? :)
I'm not Asqy, but... whilst the points you gave would be considered (briefly) in a true response, there is much much more that needs to be done. There are entire sets of legal tests that need to be applied.

Did the plaintiff owe the respondent a duty of care; was the duty of care breached; did the plaintiff cause the defendant's injury; was the injury too remote to be compensable; are there any applicable defences for the defendant. Those are the stages that need to be passed in order to establish a prima facie negligence case. Within each stage there are numerous other tests that must be applied.

Originally posted by timmii
Ooh i also hear u know james matheson! omg i saw him tonite. i love him :) U're sooo lucky...:p
P.s why did he drop out of usyd law school? :p
I would be extremely surprised if he was ever in USYD law... ?

timmii

sporadic attendee
lol! someone's been studying...:p Good ol' usyd law decided proof of negligence and damages weren't *that* important, and cut them out of the course :eek: Now its not that i'm desiring an even larger than enormous workload, its just that well, what if my prospective client asks me how much they could recover??? *sigh* So used to being perpetually concerned about an omniscient syllabus and what the rest of the state's learnt and i haven't - nice to now only be concerned about putative paying clients!!! :D

as for james matheson - an idol obsessed law tutor has been spreading the word. James, i'm shocked and appalled u didn't know! There goes my admiration for u...i'm gonna stop being nice to u so i can get closer to him...though u'd probs appreciate that wouldn't u? "omg please just leave me alone already!" *mindreading* :p

Lol on monday nite i got 2 msg's from law friends asking me to ask him if saw him at the taping if/why/when he left ;) Yes, we're such law geeks :shy:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
You have ur own lawyer? Naughty lexi...?:eek:
:p My family lawyer then, though there have been occassions where I needed to sign things. That's all I'm saying. :)

Last edited:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i ahve decided............................

if i cant get into law myself...........................................

i will just marry a guy with a law degree..........................................

oh yeah ...asq and fridgid dont get any funni ideas...

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
weren't they gonna change QC to like SC or something? or is an SC subordinate to a QC? :confused:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Frigid, if you get an offer for med and law which will you pick?
ohhhoohhhh... me choose the... CHICK!!... :D
haha, sorry lexi... i'd chose usyd law over unsw med (anyday)... :p

Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
oh yeah ...asq and fridgid dont get any funni ideas...
*hmph!* sif, we'd want you? :p

actually wait........... :(

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
weren't they gonna change QC to like SC or something? or is an SC subordinate to a QC? :confused:
In Commonwealth countries, a senior Barrister (not barrista!) is a Queen's Counsel (or King's if there's a king ;)). However, in NSW they are trying to distance the Judiciary from the Monarchy and have changed this title to Senior Counsel. Thus these titles are equivalent.

edit: Frigid fix your size tag!

Last edited:

jelly

hey... SC (Senior Counsel) is the title awarded to barristers whose client base is large and prominent, and their work in law is such that they 'deserve' to be given such a title. It's somewhat a honourary title awarded to them in recognition of their eminence in law. SC's are the top barristers, and they can apply to become SC's. They get short listed and then promoted to be so by the Bar Association each year. As a result, they can charge a whole heck of a lot more for their fees (something like several thousand a day), get more clients because of their status, wear a silk gown in court (hence being known as 'silks' and the promotion to a SC known as 'taking silk'). They place the letters 'SC' after their name, they sit first chair (to use tv language) and are assisted by another barrister known as a junior counsel (any barrister not a SC is a junior counsel).

QC's (Queens Counsel) are called so because historically they once served as advisors to the Queen. SC's were called QCs a while ago in NSW until they were abolished. So nowadays, all silks are known as SCs. Those silks who were appointed as QCs before the name change in NSW have the privilege of keeping the title of QC after their name instead of reverting to the new SC title.

SCs and all barristers work alone (they don't work in firms). They're basically sole practitioners, but they have offices in 'chambers'. So in a Chamber, you'll have a whole lot of barristers grouped in a chamber together, even though they're not working together. Most of em are situated around the courts buildings near St James. SOme UNSW lecturers are practicing barristers...my lecturer last session was a pretty young woman barrister (i reckon not even 30 yet), wore a massively diamond encrusted ring + watch...either a) was really rich, b) it was fake but wanted to pretend that she was rich, or c) had a husband/bf who was a rich barrister... cos she must've been pretty super to get up to be a barrister in such a short length of time since her graduation.

neways...off the topic. hope this was good food for thought.

1 more

fructis
HSC
Timmii, *as if* you didn't tell me this latest Idol tidbit!!

*I* am shocked and appalled!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)