How are offers decided? (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
I know there are a few threads of offers, but I couldn't find one that answers my questions.

How are offers decided/sorted/made etc?

Is it like some kind of computer program that has a certain amount of spots in it, or something, and then it sorts it all out? Just fills spots?

I was talking on the phone to UNE and I forgot what she said, but something she did say made me think that the university receives the offers and then decide which ones are given out. If that happens, how does that work? Are they sent all the first preference, and then reject the first ones that are too low, even though they don't know what the cut of will be with all the other eight preferences?

Or is it maybe done with a heap of people in one room?

Do they start from the highest ATAR and work their way down, filling up the spots?

So if anyone knows, that would be great.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My understanding is that they start with the highest ATAR and work down.

So the 99.95 students will be allocated to their first preferecne courses.

Then the 99.9 students will be allocated.

However, once a course is full that is the cut-off for that course and no more people will be allocated.

So say a course has 100 places and a student has an ATAR of 93.0 with that course as their first preference. But when they get to that student all the places are filled that student's second preference is considered and they are allocated to that (unless that preference is also full in which case they go to the third preference - and keep going until they can make an offer to that student or until they exaust that student's preferences).

It is all done by computer, which also has factored in potential EAS etc bonus ATAR qualifications. So take our mythical 93.0 ATAR but he/she is also eligibel for 5 EAS points then they will be considered with the rest of the 98.0 and not have to wait until the 93.0.

Of course, scholarships and early entries, and interview courses etc are also factored in.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
thats not quite right for the EAS - that depends on the university.

For some unis there are a limited number of EAS places for each course, and the people with the highest ATAR (but still below the cut off) get the places. Forr example for a course with a cut off of 99, then people who have ATARS of 98.95, then 98.90 etc will be offered the places above people who are the full 5 points below.

I had a UAI of 97.95 and EAS and didn't get in to a cut off of 98.2 - because the EAS places were filled with people with UAI's between 97.95 and 98.15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)