• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How are you finding chemistry? New preliminayr students. (1 Viewer)

Examine

same
HSC
I see most schools use conquering chem.

Last edited:
HSC
Not sure - I guess I could try. We use Conquering Chemistry, though the homework I've done so far hasn't been from that. What's the question?
Have you done separating procedures, eg (distillation, filtration, dehydration, fractional distillation?) If so you can help me :) I use the same textbook.

wildchild666

HSC
Have you done separating procedures, eg (distillation, filtration, dehydration, fractional distillation?) If so you can help me :) I use the same textbook.
Not really, we're doing that next lesson! What question are you doing anyway?

HSC
Question 13.
Just a random note, if i asked you if you could name 3 differences between a mixture and a pure substance could you tell me without looking at your book?

wildchild666

HSC
Question 13.
Just a random note, if i asked you if you could name 3 differences between a mixture and a pure substance could you tell me without looking at your book?
A mixture can be separated into more than one pure substance.
A mixture's composition can be varied, whereas a pure substance can't. A pure substance has a constant melting/boiling point, unlike a mixture.

Not sure of a third.

EDIT: I'm not sure how to do Q13. Sorry. Hopefully someone else comes across here and helps :p If not, ask your teacher on Monday.

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
my chem class is soooo slow! I feel as though prelim will be a breeze if it stays this way :L
we're learning the names of apparatus. again. fml.
behind much aye?

nightweaver066

HSC
A mixture can be separated into more than one pure substance.
A mixture's composition can be varied, whereas a pure substance can't. A pure substance has a constant melting/boiling point, unlike a mixture.

Not sure of a third.

EDIT: I'm not sure how to do Q13. Sorry. Hopefully someone else comes across here and helps :p If not, ask your teacher on Monday.
Here's another one.

A mixture can be broken down or separated in to it's components by physical means (i.e. filtration, distillation etc.)

Coookies

HSC
I think chem gets a lot more interesting in year 12. I hated chem in yr 11 so it became my worst subject (don't do this! don't think "I hate this" and not try! It'll only make things worse). But now it's probably my fave :)

HSC
I think chem gets a lot more interesting in year 12. I hated chem in yr 11 so it became my worst subject (don't do this! don't think "I hate this" and not try! It'll only make things worse). But now it's probably my fave :)
sweet, was chemistry hard in year 11, and did it some what get easier in year 12 in regards to grasping concepts.

Coookies

HSC
sweet, was chemistry hard in year 11, and did it some what get easier in year 12 in regards to grasping concepts.
I can't say, because I got a tutor, but I'm definitely trying harder now.
Although if a year 11 question came up in an exam, Id be screwed

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I loved the start of year 11 chem! its so interesting to see your year 10 knowledge get totally inverted and all this detail that you never knew existed come to light :D Its brilliant.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Chemistry is really fun and is one of my favourite subjects ATM along with Eng Ext. 1 and Economics. The concepts ATM are not tooo challenging for me. Try to learn ahead if you can as much as possible. It helps a lot. For example (providing you are doing Chem. Earth), you will only learn electrolysis and about anodes and cathodes in section 4 of Chem. Earth, but see if you can get a textbook or even the Internet and read through the way in which it works right now. Take an extra interest in Chemistry and don't just look at the syllabus for what you are currently doing.

Mike13

HSC
I'm finding prelim chemistry so far really easy. Somewhat boring since teacher seems to be going other some stuff from last year. What are you finding hard about the subject? I'm kind of confused where its going is anyone on some kind of topic or something called the chemical Earth? I'm really confused how they've set the syllabus up.

HSC
I'm finding prelim chemistry so far really easy. Somewhat boring since teacher seems to be going other some stuff from last year. What are you finding hard about the subject? I'm kind of confused where its going is anyone on some kind of topic or something called the chemical Earth? I'm really confused how they've set the syllabus up.
We have started chemical earth which is the first chapter in most, and all preliminary textbooks. You should have already started prior to the past 2 weeks, pure substances, mixtures as well as seperation techniques. Which i admit not being too dificuilt if you're teachear goes through easier examples. However, i'm an extension kid, so i always like doing harder things than what the class is. Ohh and you used my sigs....lol.

Mike13

HSC
I've been doing it for the first 2 weeks. Right now I'm doing an assignment on how we extract and separate elements from the spheres and how they're used. I'm actually feeling somewhat intelligent lately in my classes. My subjects all feel new and teachers explain it so much better even know they're trying to cram more in. See I have the problem that I finish a bit earlier in doing some of the equations and stuff that I can sit there for 5 minutes with no work. Yeah I did thought it was simple and cool :)

iPhone4

HSC
N/A
I'm enjoying Chem a lot. Maybe it's because i'm with my friends, but I am not too sure.

I think that all you need to do is every 2 weeks or so, get the text, and summarise work and notes. Chemistry is highly practical-based, so doing that will help significantly.

Our class just finished Fractional Distillation. Anyone else doing the Chemical Earth at the moment?

PS: We are using Conquering Chemistry. If you need my notes from 1:1 to 1:12 dont hesitate to ask!

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
The beginning of chemical earth is pretty boring. Year 12 chem is way more interesting so don't give up if your finding it boring/hard at the moment! :)
Just make sure you master the basics you learn in year 11 because you'll need them for year 12 (inter/intra-molecular bonding, moles, concentrations)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)