• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How are you finding chemistry? New preliminayr students. (2 Viewers)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
What's the cost of PEAK's? Either going to need to go to a tutor or self-teach(argh) if I want any chance of doing good. Still up to first dot point of the syllabus ftw.
PEAK is quite cheap (or I should say very cheap), it's like $20 or $25 for 1.5 hours?
It's in Canley Vale, and as you'd expect, it is dominated by asians (from Hurlstone and Macquarie Fields especially :p)

Eg155

HSC
Thank you. I do like chemistry but I thought that natural talent played a major role and I am only decent at chemistry, not brilliant
I was the same, dw. just do it :)
Can never do the skill questions though :L ekkkk

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
PEAK is quite cheap (or I should say very cheap), it's like $20 or $25 for 1.5 hours?
It's in Canley Vale, and as you'd expect, it is dominated by asians (from Hurlstone and Macquarie Fields especially :p)
Basically, there is Physics, Chemistry and now Biology. It's around $25 for each 1 hour and 45 minute lesson and you pay per 10 weeks. It's situated in Canley Heights next to this convenience shop on 262 Canley Vale Road with the yellow door screen on google map view. As RivalryOfTroll was saying, the place is dominated with various Asian dominated selective schools - Mac Fields, Hurlstone, Fort Street, Baulkham...

katharinetat

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm probably going to be pretty biased because I go to a chemistry tutor, but I love the subject. But in school, the teachers do teach a bit too slowly, and I actually do feel screwed for my chemistry exam despite having learnt all the content already in tutor. The teachers at my school don't teach as thoroughly as they do at my tutor. Nonetheless, I'm finding preliminary chemistry really easy at the moment (at school that is), but the concepts are hard to sink in at first especially if you're completely new to the module. My school just finished module 1, the chemical earth, at my tutor we just started module 3, water. So long as you do the homework, and spend perhaps a couple of hours studying each module once you've finished it, you'll be fine!

Edit: Just saw the post/reply above. I go to Peak Science, and I go to Hurlstone. Yes, it's dominated by HAHS, MFHS, and Sefton mainly. Though you do see a couple of Syd Girls/Boys + Ruse people, Tempe, Fort Street etc.

I realise this is late lol and the person asking about a chem tutor might already go to Peak, but I recommend it so much. I only started last year (which was when we started module 1) and I love it, haha! There's a Monday/Saturday/Sunday class. I go to Sunday, best teacher ever!

Last edited:

such_such

HSC
Basically, there is Physics, Chemistry and now Biology. It's around $25 for each 1 hour and 45 minute lesson and you pay per 10 weeks. It's situated in Canley Heights next to this convenience shop on 262 Canley Vale Road with the yellow door screen on google map view. As RivalryOfTroll was saying, the place is dominated with various Asian dominated selective schools - Mac Fields, Hurlstone, Fort Street, Baulkham...
There's also another PEAK on the other side of the road :L But it's for years 7-10 + sir's year 12 students. So to prevent confusion, it's on the same level as LeLo Lawyers.

There's like a 'late class' that's currently doing the first Module - almost finishing it I think from 9-10.45 on Sundays.

premskies

HSC
can somebody give me a link/email to PEAK? too many people have said its really good now lol...

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I find Chemistry quite simple atm, had my first assessment back in term 1, still haven't gotten the results yet but so far I can only tell a potential loss of 3 marks if I did screw up my diagrams I can't recall. Understanding everything quite fine and I'm pretty confident I guess but I don't wanna sound to cocky =/

such_such

HSC
can somebody give me a link/email to PEAK? too many people have said its really good now lol...
They only have a contact number. And it's not like they need advertising to get more students so I don't think they bother with websites and links. And I think the main reason people think it's good is because of the value for money

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Man PEAK sounds good and I'm contemplating of going PEAK for tutoring far out you guys make it sound so good.

premskies

HSC
ohyeah back to the thread, chem atm is easy but dry. better get more interesting.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
ohyeah back to the thread, chem atm is easy but dry. better get more interesting.
I didn't find it to be dry I guess I found some of it interesting besides the stuff I already covered in year 10 :L

MiseryParade

HSC
I didn't find it to be dry I guess I found some of it interesting besides the stuff I already covered in year 10 :L
Just curious, did your class go back and cover what you did in Year 10 in Year 11? My Year 10 teacher said that we would, but we didn't, so I struggled quite a bit at the beginning of the year ):

Does anyone know when you write risk assessments? My chem class didn't cover anything about it so I'm all *panic omg going to fail* mode right now. ;_;

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Just curious, did your class go back and cover what you did in Year 10 in Year 11? My Year 10 teacher said that we would, but we didn't, so I struggled quite a bit at the beginning of the year ):

Does anyone know when you write risk assessments? My chem class didn't cover anything about it so I'm all *panic omg going to fail* mode right now. ;_;
We covered, Elements, Balancing Chemical Equations, Writing chemical equations stuff like that. Also what do you actually me by when do you write risk assessments?

MiseryParade

HSC
We covered, Elements, Balancing Chemical Equations, Writing chemical equations stuff like that. Also what do you actually me by when do you write risk assessments?
As in, when do you actually need risk assessments in...anything? When writing up experiments? I be clueless. :(

premskies

HSC

most of the first module is year 9 and 10 revision..

planino

HSC
LOVING CHEM, except our teacher goes way off topic at times! And even though the stuff is simple, it's always encouraging to know that things will only get better :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)