How are you studying for Chem? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwatts

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
your welcome to apply... just write a damn good application.
Would nosadness increase his chances of gaining a modstick if he wrote his application in poetry form?

HSC
I'll get back on topic since you people cocked up the topic, here are my notes styrene/polystyrene

Styrene is the monomer used to create polystyrene, the systematic name for styrene monomer is ethenylbenzene, and polystyrene systematic name is polyethenylbenzene or polyphenylbenzene

Polystyrene comes in 2 distinct types, PS(Polystyrene) & PS Foam (styrofoam).

Polystyrene is a hard, clear, brittle plastic used in audiocassette/CD cases. PS Foam (known as expanded polystyrene with 95% air and 5% polystyrene), having the tradename of Styrofoam used by the general public,
Styrofoam is made by blowing hot gas through polystyrene liquid prior cooling & solidification, used in disposable drinking cups (foam cups), eskies, packing materials, & fast food containers due to its excellent ability as insulator, Styrofoam is also generally lightweight.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Thanks Casmira.

There's another thing I'm confused about.

What is the the colour of the precipitate iron (II) hydroxide? That is, when hydroxide ions are added to a solution of iron (II).

Some textbooks say white turning quickly to brown, but others - and my tutoring notes - say grey-green. I asked Nit and Mitochondria and they both said grey-green. This morning I emailed my new tutor and he said it's white turning to brown.

Does anyone remember specifically what colour iron (II) hydroxide was during their precipitation prac? I remember vaguely that everything turned out the way I expected it to, and I've always known iron (II) hydroxide to be grey-green.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
What is the the colour of the precipitate iron (II) hydroxide? That is, when hydroxide ions are added to a solution of iron (II).
White to brown with NaOH, my notes say.

CC also agrees. Page 199 Table 6.1, "Tests used to identify cations".

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Thanks Casmira.

There's another thing I'm confused about.

Some textbooks say white turning quickly to brown, but others - and my tutoring notes - say grey-green. I asked Nit and Mitochondria and they both said grey-green. This morning I emailed my new tutor and he said it's white turning to brown.

Does anyone remember specifically what colour iron (II) hydroxide was during their precipitation prac? I remember vaguely that everything turned out the way I expected it to, and I've always known iron (II) hydroxide to be grey-green.
i remember it went brown for me, maybe they had higher concetrations? lower concetrations?

Haku

i think for the white to brown its actually Iron(III)
not too sure on that...i think when u put that into NaOH solution it goes from white to brown.

anywayz, i am currently writing out an application form to jimo...hope i will pass! :rolleyes:

Q: how does adding Chronium to steel (steel is iron with 1.5% carbon right?) make it more resistant to corrosion? also what does molybdemum do when added to steel?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
nosadness said:
i think for the white to brown its actually Iron(III)
not too sure on that...i think when u put that into NaOH solution it goes from white to brown.

anywayz, i am currently writing out an application form to jimo...hope i will pass! :rolleyes:

Q: how does adding Chronium to steel (steel is iron with 1.5% carbon right?) make it more resistant to corrosion? also what does molybdemum do when added to steel?
Is that shipwrecks?

Haku

to the iron thingy, i was right. the brown precipitate is iron(iii)(aq) + NaOH(aq) give Fe(OH)3, a brown precipitate. i think it only stay white for a second or so.

anywayz Fe(OH)2 is like dirty green or grey-green thats what u guys call it.

Haku

Dreamerish*~ said:
Is that shipwrecks?
yea its in shipwrecks.

so is steel like 1.5% carbon with iron?...and whats the thingy with like 0.1% and 0.8% carbon

about the cromium and molybdmum stuff help please

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
nosadness said:
anywayz Fe(OH)2 is like dirty green or grey-green thats what u guys call it.
I don't mean to sound like a prick, but did you, by any chance, get that from me?

I was very unsure about this, because my sources contradict each other, however, I asked my tutor and he said iron (II) hydroxide is creamy white, quickly turning to brown. I think I'm going to go with that.

If you got it from somewhere else, where? This thing is really annoying me. :p

Haku

Dreamerish*~ said:
I don't mean to sound like a prick, but did you, by any chance, get that from me?

I was very unsure about this, because my sources contradict each other, however, I asked my tutor and he said iron (II) hydroxide is creamy white, quickly turning to brown. I think I'm going to go with that.

If you got it from somewhere else, where? This thing is really annoying me. :p
wat u mean? i wrote that my self.

as the info state Iron(iii) the most commonly occuring iron ion is brown when mixed with NaOH, and iron(ii) is green. trust me. a friend is 2nd year uni does chemistry in advanced science and he looked it up too!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
nosadness said:
wat u mean? i wrote that my self.

as the info state Iron(iii) the most commonly occuring iron ion is brown when mixed with NaOH, and iron(ii) is green. trust me. a friend is 2nd year uni does chemistry in advanced science and he looked it up too!
Yeah, I asked our Resident Chemist and Mitochondria (both of them know what they're talking about) and they told me that it's grey-green.

Then I asked my tutor, who has been a chemist his whole life, and he said it's creamy white turning to brown, which is what CC says.

In desperation, I called the HSC helpline, which gave me a third answer - green turning to brown.

I'm going to school next week and finding out for myself. '-_-

EDIT: Oh but this is really specific. :p I want to know because I'm just too curious, but if you're panicking over it - don't. The main thing is to identify that there is a precipitate.

Haku

Dreamerish*~ said:
Yeah, I asked our Resident Chemist and Mitochondria (both of them know what they're talking about) and they told me that it's grey-green.

Then I asked my tutor, who has been a chemist his whole life, and he said it's creamy white turning to brown, which is what CC says.

In desperation, I called the HSC helpline, which gave me a third answer - green turning to brown.

I'm going to school next week and finding out for myself. '-_-

EDIT: Oh but this is really specific. :p I want to know because I'm just too curious, but if you're panicking over it - don't. The main thing is to identify that there is a precipitate.
lol, ull prob get a 4th answer. i think u should stay with grey green for iron(ii)

anywayz can anyone answer my question on steel?

Haku

lol, thanks for that.

thought that this forum is going everywhere with question might as well come out with another random...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Molybdenum:

- Increases strength and hardness at high temp
- Increases resistance to corrosion
- Makes it easier to weld
- Makes it less brittle

Molybdenum steel is used in aircraft, vessles for use under high pressure and in car axles.

Haku

thanks, so basically Increases strength and hardness at high temp

and how does chronium help to resist corrosion when added to iron.

and is steel iron with 1.5% carbon?

and do we need to know those thing like wraught iron and stuff with diff amount of carbon in them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)