How can I improve my Vocabulary? (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
As has been pointed out by many of you - read widely and read good books - not rubbish. Modern kids growing up in today's world don't read enough. That's why they often can't spell, can't structure a sentence properly etc. Reading a dictionary & thesaurus should not be your main approach.

My 2 cents worth!

Good luck.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
As has been pointed out by many of you - read widely and read good books - not rubbish. Modern kids growing up in today's world don't read enough. That's why they often can't spell, can't structure a sentence properly etc. Reading a dictionary & thesaurus should not be your main approach.

My 2 cents worth!

Good luck.
Hmmmm, I don't read at all. Looks like I'm screwed 4eva!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Hmmmm, I don't read at all. Looks like I'm screwed 4eva!
If you take the trouble to read half a dozen good books this summer break maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised and pleased at how much your vocabulary and your ability to string together your ideas would have improved. At first read just for enjoyment. Then read more critically. Go on. Give it a try. You'd be thankful you heed this advice. Always be open minded - be receptive to other people's ideas, if they make sense.

I myself am a poor and painfully slow reader.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
If you take the trouble to read half a dozen good books this summer break maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised and pleased at how much your vocabulary and your ability to string together your ideas would have improved. At first read just for enjoyment. Then read more critically. Go on. Give it a try. You'd be thankful you heed this advice. Always be open minded - be receptive to other people's ideas, if they make sense.

I myself am a poor and painfully slow reader.
I only read for critical reasons. Never for enjoyment ><

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Reading some old literature is a good place to start broadening your vocabulary, but that wasn't how I improved it. Instead I ended up picking a lot of new terms from the lyrics of the music I'd listen to. But if you want to know how, then you should try looking up the word's meaning and how it can be used in context if you see the term somewhere.

If you're looking into literature to extend your vocabulary, then H.P. Lovecraft is your friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)