how can i improve my writing? (1 Viewer)

raceryt

HSC
my teacher says i need to be more in command of my language and i need to improve my expression; how can i do that? ive heard that watching the abc will somehow make me better subconsciously

martinc

HSC
yeah, i find some shows like play school, really do help expand my vocabulary :)

i heard watching the news also does help.

Pyrokinetic

HSC
I don't think watching the news or reading it would help with improving your written expression tbh, the language used in news etc is always quite detached, objective, and more suited to reports than the style of writing expected of your teacher.

If you're looking to improve essay writing read anthologies like Australia's Best Essays [insert year] (they come out annually), or critical analysis of well known texts (online literary journals for eg). The Times magazine isn't bad either. But to improve vocabulary and written expression in general i think reading texts valued as literature is always helpful. Another thing is the introductions of Penguin Classics for books such as Frankenstein and most literary works, these are actually quite good too, their use of language is always clear, concise, and sophisticated.

Just a few suggestions, good luck anyway. :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Read the classics

Learn basic meta-language

Write. Write. Write

bored of sc

HSC
- Read widely across a variety of genres.

- My writing improved when I stopped over-thinking and just wrote i.e. I let the phrases come naturally rather than forcing it. I'm not sure if this applies to you though.

- Write a lot and get people to edit your work.

I still have a lot of trouble with writing so my advice isn't the best.

raceryt

HSC
thanks guys. i guess the general tip is to just write heaps. btw how can you memorise vocab more efficiently?

swathard

HSC
Yeah, best way to get a grasp of vocab is to actually use it in a particular context and appreciate where you've put it. That way, you then become accustomed to the specific times you can insert that word, and thus your vocabulary expands and your word choice becomes more sophisticated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)