How can there be Vacancies? (1 Viewer)

David27

I see USYD and UNSW have V's after their BA's.
How can this be?
I thought the UAI was determined by the mark of the last candidate to fill the last place available.
I presume they must hold places deliberately for the last round.

jizmiester

i have noticed that a lot of bathurst courses in the SMH had (V) 'Vaccancies' next to them...i have a friend who had 7 of his 9 preferences at CSU bathurst and he got a uai in the mid 50's....after the main round his 2nd and 4th & 5th preferences all still had vaccancies...

He wrote all the required essays..(becoz csu doesnt just go on a uai) .i dont understand why he didnt get in...i thought that all the spaces need to be filled....right down to the last applicant...

what are his chances of gettin in the later rounds...? can anyone help me out in any way?

sunny

meh.
HSC
I had thought about this too, and why I got confuzzled in another thread.

I had always thought that they would use the number of people selecting the course as a basis for picking a cut off, but not based purely on the number of people that picked it (ie, cut off is last person).

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes they do that too, but even when the main round is published, there are already courses marked as vacant - which means it wasn't filled, which meant the last person to be accepted wasn't the person with the cut off.

JRasnier

It is because the uai, is a rank of how (ready u are for uni) so they would have a certain limit as to where they can accept ppl, as a person who is in 50s they may not see as being ready for that particular course.... for example myself i got a uai of 57.85, i applied to a bachelor of science in information technology course at uts, but did not get in as it says that my qualifications arent sufficient for that course which the uai needed for that course is 80 something i beleive, but i did get into bachelor of information technology at uws which i needed a uai of 70 or more, this is because i had a partial done tafe course which i added through the supplementary form B, which was attached to the uac book........ so really all this is how ready u are for uni, not how good u went in the hsc, cause that is a one of mark....thats why they base uai, on all the marks through year 12 and hsc, as its more appropriate to how ready u are for uni.... not how good u are compared to others... (did i just confuse everyone??)

JRasnier

well yeaha, lolz they dont simply fill up places to the quota, they see if ur capable to do the course....

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by JRasnier
well yeaha, lolz they dont simply fill up places to the quota, they see if ur capable to do the course....
I would imagine that is only for students with supplementary material other than the UAI. But for students with nothing but a UAI, that is all they look at. UAI > cut off, means you should be capable.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
individual Uni's do actually set minimum cutoffs

the occurance of Vacancies on Main round of offers is most probably due to people not accepting offers or cancelling applications or something from the Early/Prelim Rounds

David27

USYD BA 500 places 2004. 1000 preference it somewhere on their application. 500th place filled by candidate with 80 whatever the cut off was.Below that score, no more places avaiable.
Numbers were just to demonstrate.
How can their be vancancies then?

sunny

meh.
HSC
mmm....when I checked my application for computer science, I remember it was marked V - the only reason I got it in the late round (stupid me got my preferences wrong way around).

And as far as I know, comp sci didn't have any early/prelim offers.

All I can think of is that the uni that is setting the cut off still wants to maintain a level of standard in the course - and hence the last person on the list isn't necessarily the cut off - my confuzzleness in another thread.

ie, they only want, say, eg 90+ UAI quality students in, even if it means not filling the course in the main round - thus they might lower the UAI in the late round.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Minai

the occurance of Vacancies on Main round of offers is most probably due to people not accepting offers or cancelling applications or something from the Early/Prelim Rounds

David27

Originally posted by Minai

You'd think most courses would have people who don't take up an initial offer. therefore, most courses should have vacancies for final round.

adsta

HSC
Courses have 'entry scores' which basically means that a person with a UAI below this score, will not be able to handle the course (according to the uni). It is not the UAI cut-off, as this entry score basically doesn't change and can be much lower than the actual uai cut-off itslef, but if the popularity of a course drops and the uai cut-off equals this entry score, then no more people will be accepted unless people change their preferences hence why courses have V's next to them.
Hope this makes sense.

Ribbon

As said before, some unis simply won't accept a mark lower than xx.xx for certain course. This could be to keep standards up in the course itself or just to make the course look more popular. ie. alot of law courses at less well regarded unis are cut off at 90.00. what are the chances that the person to fill the quota would be right on 90.00? Wether there is a V next to the course or not, chances are that the uni either wants to keep up a reputation, or doesn't think students below xx.xx can keep up with the course. From memory, I think law at UNE is 80.00 ? Same thing there I think, only they have to go even lower because of the undesirable location...

so that is how there can still be vacancies... the unis just refuse people below a certain mark , so the official cutoff is higher, and fill thier quota in the later rounds, which doesn't affect the published cutoff, even if all of the later round offers are to people below the required UAI.

kouri

well w t f
HSC
welp. my course still has vacancies...

is there any information on how many offers they made?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)