How crap is Australian Idol?? (1 Viewer)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Originally posted by Fry
i would really love Guy to win. he deserves it the most. just by looking at the expression on his face every Monday you can tell he's serious about the whole thing. some people just do it for the fame and money but Guy is really passionate about singing.

Yep totally agree. Guy should definately win hands down no questions asked.

N

ND

To those people who like Australian Idol: You Are Complete Fools. Seriously, do you enjoy watching music being destroy, or are you just mesmorised by the pretty colours? Do you honestly believe that these people have musical talent? They have performing talent, which is completely different. Being able to sing does not make you musical. Lyrics have the least to do with music. If you are just listening to music because of the pretty words, go read some poetry. In music the lyrics are there to enhance the sound, not to make some stupid message about how nobodies loves you.
Don't make such vast generalisations. I watch idol every week, yet i'm willing to bet that i know alot more about music than you do. I've played guitar for 7 years (haven't touched it this year though; HSC), and i mean really played it, i practiced for at least 2-3 hours each day. I transcribed quite a bit of complex progressive rock/metal (ala dream theater) and even a little classical stuff (though not that complex, parts of stuff like Holst's Jupiter), i know alot of music theory and can sight read quite competently (although it is one of my weaker points).

Of course these people have talent, i can tell you that singing is a shitload harder than playing guitar or piano or most instruments... How do you know that these people don't compose their own music?

crazyhobo

Originally posted by ND
Don't make such vast generalisations. I watch idol every week, yet i'm willing to bet that i know alot more about music than you do. I've played guitar for 7 years (haven't touched it this year though; HSC), and i mean really played it, i practiced for at least 2-3 hours each day. I transcribed quite a bit of complex progressive rock/metal (ala dream theater) and even a little classical stuff (though not that complex, parts of stuff like Holst's Jupiter), i know alot of music theory and can sight read quite competently (although it is one of my weaker points).

Of course these people have talent, i can tell you that singing is a shitload harder than playing guitar or piano or most instruments... How do you know that these people don't compose their own music?
So because you play the guitar, you are somehow excused from being part of the cause of the desperate state of today's music?

Firstly, the difficulty of singing is completely irrelevent. I've never said that these people can't sing. I'm saying they are destroying music.

And how do you know that singing is a lot harder than playing guitar or piano? Maybe they also write music, but what is the bet no one will ever hear anything they write? As soon as they bring it to a record company it will be thrown in the bin. You know why? Because idiots like you don't want to hear anything that is even remotely musically complex. Having more than 3 chords would blow the minds of so many poor sheep. It's just not something they are willing to risk.

N

ND

Originally posted by crazyhobo
So because you play the guitar, you are somehow excused from being part of the cause of the desperate state of today's music?

No, you were implying that people who watch idol are simple minded (musically), and i was demonstrating that that is simply not true.

And how do you know that singing is a lot harder than playing guitar or piano?
I've talked to people who are good at both.

As soon as they bring it to a record company it will be thrown in the bin. You know why? Because idiots like you don't want to hear anything that is even remotely musically complex.
Umm did you read my post? In fact, my cd collection consists largely of progressive rock/metal; arguably the most complex genre of music out there.

Having more than 3 chords would blow the minds of so many poor sheep. It's just not something they are willing to risk.
There's a time and place for all music, sometimes it's nice to listen to something simple.

edit: i'd like you to tell me how i'm contributing to "the desperate state of today's music" by watching austrlian idol.

crazyhobo

No, you were implying that people who watch idol are simple minded (musically), and i was demonstrating that that is simply not true.
I am yet to be convinced.

I've talked to people who are good at both.
So you really have no experience in singing?

Umm did you read my post? In fact, my cd collection consists largely of progressive rock/metal; arguably the most complex genre of music out there.
You think that certain genres are inherently more complex than others?

There's a time and place for all music, sometimes it's nice to listen to something simple.

edit: i'd like you to tell me how i'm contributing to "the desperate state of today's music" by watching austrlian idol.
Easy. If people didn't watch and listen to the crap that passes for music these days, then it wouldn't be played. Is that such a hard concept to grasp? The only reason we have these manufactured 'artists' that pump out two singles and an album is because they continue to be profitable. Watching this year's ARIAs was just so damn depressing. There is so much great music out there, yet Delta Goodrem got 90% of everything, awards, publicity, everything. She does not consitute 90% of our nation's talent.

N

ND

So you really have no experience in singing?

No. What's your point?

You think that certain genres are inherently more complex than others?

Definately. And so do you apparently..

Easy. If people didn't watch and listen to the crap that passes for music these days, then it wouldn't be played. Is that such a hard concept to grasp? The only reason we have these manufactured 'artists' that pump out two singles and an album is because they continue to be profitable.
I was referring to myself (i.e. as an individual), as you specifically target me with your generalisation.

Watching this year's ARIAs was just so damn depressing. There is so much great music out there, yet Delta Goodrem got 90% of everything, awards, publicity, everything. She does not consitute 90% of our nation's talent.
Of course there's alot of great music out there, but you have to accept that it's never going to get commercial airplay, simply because people don't like it. We're never gonna see the likes of Frank Gambale or Virgil Donati (world class australian guitarist and drummer respectively) at the arias, no amount of forcing that stuff down the audience's throat will change that.

Delta may not constitute 90% of australia's talent, but she does constitute 90% of teh talent at the arias...

crazyhobo

No. What's your point?
My point is I am a singer. I did it for my HSC. Singing has nothing at all to do with being a good musician.

Definately. And so do you apparently..
No, actually I don't. Just because I hate what is being played now, doesn't mean I think pop music as a genre is simple by nature.

I was referring to myself (i.e. as an individual), as you specifically target me with your generalisation. Of course there's alot of great music out there, but you have to accept that it's never going to get commercial airplay, simply because people don't like it. We're never gonna see the likes of Frank Gambale or Virgil Donati (world class australian guitarist and drummer respectively) at the arias, no amount of forcing that stuff down the audience's throat will change that.
Your apathy astounds me. As an individual if you stopped watching, you are right, it would make little difference. But what if you were watching a crowd beating a helpless man to death? Whether you are involved or not doesn't make much difference in the end.

And I completely disagree. Forcing stuff down an audience's throat does change their minds. This has been proving time and time again. Music, people and fasion that is considered cool changes at the flick of a wrist. 5 years ago rap was considered a naughty word. Now look, 50% of 'music' played on the radio is rap. Marketting can and does make anything that is easy to mass produce hip and desirable.

N

ND

My point is I am a singer. I did it for my HSC. Singing has nothing at all to do with being a good musician.
So then what do you think makes a musician? I agree that just being able to sing doesn't necessarily make someone a competent musician, but i'm sure that most people who sing well also have other musical abilities.

And I completely disagree. Forcing stuff down an audience's throat does change their minds. This has been proving time and time again. Music, people and fasion that is considered cool changes at the flick of a wrist. 5 years ago rap was considered a naughty word. Now look, 50% of 'music' played on the radio is rap. Marketting can and does make anything that is easy to mass produce hip and desirable.
Ok i concede that - to an extent; maybe popularity of music does have a bit to do with its marketing, but what type of music are you referring to? the type of music i'm referring to will never be appreciated by the mainstream, regardless of how much it's pushed... in fact, like 90% of people who listen to prog are musicians; it's hard for non-musicians to appreciate the complexity of the music (though i hope i'm eating my words in 5 years).

crazyhobo

Originally posted by ND
So then what do you think makes a musician? I agree that just being able to sing doesn't necessarily make someone a competent musician, but i'm sure that most people who sing well also have other musical abilities.
I think that too much emphasis is placed on the abilty to sing. But I feel that if someone is only a singer, then it is harder for them to become a proper musician. Singers are rarely taught or know much about music. They are taught how to perform and connect with an audience. I'm not saying that is an easy abilty, but I think it is destructive when people ignore music entirely and instead look at how much they connect with the singer.

That is exactly how Australian Idol works. It has very little to do with being a talented singer, I'm sure most who made it to the top 40 are deserving of winning. But only one will win, and that person is decided solely on how many people like them as a person. Yet they will be paraded around as the next big thing in music, while they are really just a celebrity personality.

Originally posted by ND
Ok i concede that - to an extent; maybe popularity of music does have a bit to do with its marketing, but what type of music are you referring to? the type of music i'm referring to will never be appreciated by the mainstream, regardless of how much it's pushed... in fact, like 90% of people who listen to prog are musicians; it's hard for non-musicians to appreciate the complexity of the music (though i hope i'm eating my words in 5 years).
I'm only 18 so I can't compare today's popular music well to that of the past. But I remember just a few years ago when I could turn on the radio and listen to a variety of music. Today the only way I can hear new music that I might like is through the internet, and the records companies are doing everything they can to stop me. Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it has always been this way, and I'm only just starting to mature enough to realise. Either way it still sucks.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
oh my gawd.. u guys man - i read the first 2 posts of both of yous and i got bored... LOL

anyway, back to idol - i hate cosima for what she did (no like what the producers did) they knew she was gonna pull out at the beginning of the day and they left it to the last minute

it took all the glory away from shannon (even though i dont like him...)

crazyhobo

Originally posted by rhapsodyinblack
Crazy, I thought it was interesting! Does that count for much??? :)
I don't care anymore. The last long post I wrote is possibly the most depressing thing I have ever written, at least for me.

crazyhobo

Because it will always be easier to play up to an audience than create something worth listening to. It will always be hard for genuinely talented musicians to make a living. It will always be hard for people to find these musicians. And it will always be the cheap, disposable artists that receive all the publicity and awards that come with being famous.

crazyhobo

Originally posted by rhapsodyinblack
OK, I get your point. I like idol but it's not cause they make good music, it's cause they're entertaining... but I would definitely rather see a band like Placebo get a number 1 single...
See, while I don't actually like Placebo, I have nothing against them as musicians.

psycho_mushy

HSC
You seriously have no constructive comments about any topic do you?
no I did it for post count :D I don't even know what australian idol is aobut :) hope u dun mind hehehehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)