How did it go ? CSSA trial (2 Viewers)

Rand

Heat the Barium solution up WHILE simultanously stirring to prevent a sudden supersaturation of a very fine precipitate of BaSO4.

One the water boils gently, a larger crystal precipitate will form, which is considerably easier to filter with Laboratory standard filter paper.

That was a nasty question- didnt think it would be in the paper... :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
neither did i.

i would of thought some form or water purification or titration was gonna be in it. i was like WTF while skimming through the paper in our reading time

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
research and development

when it asked principle i was thrown off. i put law of conservation of energy and explained a bit about what they did.

good thing that question very similar resemmbled a quesiton i did in surfing chemistry

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
That isotope one everyone was talking about is 6 hours...
it only had gamma rays which is good coz the 7.5 with alpha wont get out of the body so thats pretty bad, even though it does have gamma as well
there is no way it is 3.5 minutes...no where near long enough for it to make it to the liver and be metabolised to any differeing level, or even for them to take the scan while there is enough in there to make it worthwhile
(i do medical physics so we just did it all with PET scanning so im pretty confident i got at least that one mark right)

and that heat of combustion one in he multiples choice i couldnt figure out...with 1360 kJ...none of my answeres matched the oines they gave.,...ill get over it.

our teacher changed half our test...she changed the whole option because we havent finished yet...we got a stack on electroferesis and chromatography...we did that in our last lesson b4 trials and i was away doing UMAT so i was royally screwed coz she asked about the prac i hadnt done...ill move on

i wanted a titration one though..after 2 years of titration comp i think i can get some marks there

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i found it unusally easy
i expected harder

the barium sulfate and natural indicater q came out of nowhere though... and the role of a chemist in society... i b/sed as usual

jims

HSC
one last thing on that radioisotope thing:
technetium-99m the most widely used for that kinda diagnosis stuff and it emits gamma only and has a half life of 6hrs.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jims
one last thing on that radioisotope thing:
technetium-99m the most widely used for that kinda diagnosis stuff and it emits gamma only and has a half life of 6hrs.
Thanks for the verification/confirmation :)
I knew it was 6 hours, 3.5 mins (gamma) was just too short.

nerdd

OHHH YEAHHHHH!!! crap i can't believe i forgot about technetium 99 m!!!!!
haha i said it'd be hard to isolate americium 241 (which has a half life of like 432 years) hahahaha and it's used in smoke alarms so OBVIOUSLY it's easy to isolate but i couldn't think of anything else. shitface. oh well.

and what's everyone else's school policies on people who do the exam on another day???

for example if they're "sick" or even if they genuinely are sick, they could come here to see what everyone thought of the exam, what ppl got for answers etc etc and then knew the whole paper!!! 2 girls who were "sick" (i don't know if it was genuine or not, supposedly they were = doctors cert so the teachers believe them pfft) got to do it 5 days later. i think that's unfair advantage!

i liked that industry question.. i did Burhan at Qenos :D haha analytical chem. straight memorised out of the conquering chem textbook.

and cause we haven't done our option yet, our teacher replaced it with a 6 mark question on the conditions surrounding the Haber Process. STRAIGHT MEMORISING AND REGURGITATING YET AGAIN! i like that kind of chemistry :D

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by nerdd
and what's everyone else's school policies on people who do the exam on another day???

for example if they're "sick" or even if they genuinely are sick, they could come here to see what everyone thought of the exam, what ppl got for answers etc etc and then knew the whole paper!!! 2 girls who were "sick" (i don't know if it was genuine or not, supposedly they were = doctors cert so the teachers believe them pfft) got to do it 5 days later. i think that's unfair advantage!
My school has the same policy as yours. Personally, I think people "sick" on the day should just get an estimate. I think that is the most fair option:).

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
My school has the same policy as yours. Personally, I think people "sick" on the day should just get an estimate. I think that is the most fair option:).
I am getting fairly sick of this myself.
People who stay home INTENTIONALLY and read BoS forums after the exam, revising their work for the whole day, while taking a trip to the doctors for a certificate, then going back home, reading BoS once more for "the latest news" on X, Y or Z exam, and then beginning their study.

They're only cheating themselves.
That's my two cents on it, sorry if it offends anyone, but if you're not there on the day, then you really do deserve the estimate, if you're sick, you've got no chance in the world to perform at your best, so be happy with the estimate?

:)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
well i got 80/95 for my mark :) just found out

we had some replacement questions and some stuff taken out

came third with 2 people tied on first

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
I wonder if my teacher has even marked it yet...she's not good at that stuff, and we got our prac book, abt 1 and 1/2 days before the exam...and she's had it since last term:rolleyes:...thats pretty good ragerunner...do you come third in just in the exam, or in the final ranking?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
exam

my physics teacher is like that. waits until the last minute before doing something

howareya

Banned
the highest in my school was 91% then the next ws like 85%...heaps of people got low...dont know what i got

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
omg i went shocking.. but thats what u get when u don't study
procrastination sucks!!
my mark was 88/95
oh well... the gratification comes from knowing i didn't study and i got that mark and i can do betta in hsc..i hope heh
good luck everyone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)