How did u link Q3 with yourself? (1 Viewer)

sly fly

HSC
Phewww........it just confused me a little because usually even with the ''your understanding'' q's I would do it in 3rd person. However, because it also said understanding of yourself, I was like uhh what the, how am I meant to do that when I'm writing in 3rd person.

hikari

HSC
rowan brand said:
My english etacher marks AOS physical journeys essays for the HSC and they mark down for not using sustained first person. It is in teh marking criteria and fits in to teh dot point about composing apptropriate to purpose etc.
no offence but your english teacher sounds like an idiot.

sif you use FIRST PERSON in an ESSAY FORMAT, then get MARKED DOWN IF YOU DON'T. what the %6#@?!

mai

HSC
you dont HAVE to use first person. just because the question used 'your' it doesnt mean you have to use first person in ur essay. my teacher, who is also a hsc marker, said that's just how they ask the question...
sif add in so much first person in ur essay.. though if u added it in your intro or conclusion its 'fine'. if you overdid it then ur..stooged. cos...essays are generally not meant to use first person narrative...

so quit stressing? theres no way you can get marked down for NOT using first person.. and highly doubtful u'll lose 59475843753 watever marks just cos u used it a few times in ur intro/concl.

clarity

HSC
Gee, way to stress a girl out. I understood that it asked our inner journey, but I've always been told not to talk in first person EVER in an essay. I just talked alot about "one's inner journey etc". Otherwise, I think it went well, it was easier than trials.

rama_v

HSC
koopatrooper said:
i said somethin like the study of these texts has broadened my undertstaning of inner hourneys and individuals and the world, only in me crap conclusion did i say myself, which we're not supposed to do apparently.
Nah its ok, you can use "I" and "myself" in a personal response such as this question, an english teacher out our school (senior head marker) said that you wont get penalised for it, so dont fret about it :)

mai

HSC
hikari said:
no offence but your english teacher sounds like an idiot.

sif you use FIRST PERSON in an ESSAY FORMAT, then get MARKED DOWN IF YOU DON'T. what the %6#@?!

hey man, you're cool!

i soooo agreee. sif get marked down.. hahaha.. funny.
and man hahaha marked down cos the first dot point is about 'composing appropriate to purpose' wat the &^%*?? essays DONT USE FIRST PERSON!

qwertas

HSC
explained how through journey r brosad and we can end up going through each type of journey and that the world individuals and ourselfs determine our journey.

qwertas

HSC
hey did u's think u needed heaps more time to answer the whole of last q

HSC
I asked my teacher how to link it to ourselves and he said use words like "oneself", "one's" or "my" but don't rant on in first person. I ended up using a lot of we/us because I didn't want to get too involved in the first person, making it to a bigger picture and exerting my point of view through.

I added to each discussion how it impacts on the myself/individual and the world in a general sense. I thought individuals meant other people but treat them as separate cases.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
are you meant to refer directly to yourself? my teacher says anything personal is a no-no. i just said generally how 'we' expand our understanding.

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
i never use the words 'i' and 'me' in essays...its not really an essay then. or at least it doesnt feel like it. i referred to how it expanded the compsoers and responders understanding, which i guess is the same thing anyway -since i am a responder.

belleree98

You can write in 1st person when it asks for your understanding

Otherwise they would just say "individuals and the world/society"

but the your understanding bit should differentiate or at least, it should show how the texts affect your understanding of journeys.

I think it says somewhere in the syllabus that you can write in 1st person and the "no u cant" idea is an outdated one.

HSC
Yeah I think you can write in first-person if the question addresses you directly. I used some general terms as in responder/composer and then the evaluative sort of comments I wrote in terms of me.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Because of the wording of the question, I decided it was ok use a little bit of "I" in the introduction and conclusion, but mainly stuck to "we". I talked about whether there are negative/positive/neutral connotations to journey, as we as individuals/on a world scale "respond to challenges" we invariably gain knowledge and wisdom that will resonate through time. Or some bs like that :D. Yay for bs!

riot_girl19

riot_girl19
HSC
i just did braod generalising statements - I didnt say that I specifically learnt anything from it because I've been taught that you should never put "i" in an essay. Even though teh qustion was aking for your opinion, it was still formal - so formal language had to be used - i mean it is the HSC. Therefore I just put what the audience or responder learns from the journey (in my case imaginative) in relation to the poem eg. In frost at midnight Coleridge learns about himself and in kubla khan Coleridge realises the limitations of humanity to create perfection - therefore the imaginative journey in F@M teaches us that we can use the imagination as a tool for self-discovery and in KK we can use it to discover about others and the world around us (good & bad side of nature). I could be completely wrong ... but fingers crossed

HSC
I used a little bit of 'I'. Did you guys focus on the concepts of journey and just back up ideas with techniques and not centre it all on techniques? Thats what I did.

AlabasterMan

Outside, looking in. Inside, looking out.
HSC
^ Schroedinger, don't you know ANYTHING AT ALL?

Have you not read the syllabus, that masterpiece?

It CLEARLY and simply states that, to achieve a band six, some or all of these elements must be incorporated into your story:

-female, crippled, lesbian, muslim OR jewish OR 'Iraquoid' single mother of three is an appropriate protagonist
-the concept of journey must be incorporated as the protagonist, seeking but not daring to hope, searches for (choose ONE) an AIDS cure, God, Australia or navel lint.
-the names of stories must be incorporated at all costs. A story without a name is like a lawyer without a well-developed sense of moral integrity.

Mandy101

HSC
I made random comments throughout the essay... for eg "Margaret Atwood's exploration into the mind expanded my knowledge and perception of the metaphysical nature of the journey" ( I didn't actually write that line, but I wrote stuff like that )

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Mandy101 said:
I made random comments throughout the essay... for eg "Margaret Atwood's exploration into the mind expanded my knowledge and perception of the metaphysical nature of the journey" ( I didn't actually write that line, but I wrote stuff like that )
lol... that's exactly like what I wrote. (I don't even know what metaphysical means, but it sounded really good... like band 6 stuff.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)