How did u link Q3 with yourself? (1 Viewer)

thomdale

35 degrees 4 mins south, 150 degrees 40 mins east,
HSC
N/A
Not that bad ppl!

I didnt find it hard, i just wrote my pre-prepared physical journey essay and then at the end said something like "since the characters in these text act as our vehicle through their jourey, all the understandings they come to of themselves and the world around them are learnt and taken aboard by us the reader, hence broaderning my understanding."

1 DOWN!!

Steven88

HSC
N/A
well for this one i wrote an essay, no first person. i really just said that journeys and these text greaten our understanding of concept, the implications and the expcetaton, i said that the journey does not lie within a text, nor the composer rather the true physical joruney lies with the responder, there interepetation and undertsading...and i wrote 10 1/2 pages for this. my text were away, wind and the willows and castway..soo yeah..

phatchance

HSC
This is why I wish English wasn't compulsory, most of you simply shouldn't be taking it end of story. First person is inappropriate for an essay text type, this is one of the first things you should have learnt in year 7, an essay is meant to be formally structured. Sure they won't 'mark you down' for utilising it in your introduction and conclusion, but if you want to get full marks on the essay and think a personalised rant about the wonderful debt you owe to your English staff for introducing the AOS is going to achieve anything you are sadly mistaken.

Personally I really disliked todays paper, unfortunately the questions were so broad and generic that the hordes of mindless rote learners and tutored, pampered private school children will have walked out with a smile on their faces after rehashing the work they barely understand all over the paper with a few 'juxtapositions' and 'eludications' for good measure. Not to mention after writing a creative piece that failed to link in any way to the stimulus material provided. This whole system makes me sick to my stomach.

Luckily section A will weed out a few of the undeserving, given that you had to have the comprehension skills of a year 7 student to answer the questions, something a large proportion of the state is lacking.

Modules will be much harder than this paper, they will throw a few curve balls and unexpected text types, mark my words. P.S. to anyone that requested a second booklet for the creative or section A, you are a retard. That is all.

phatchance

HSC
Oh P.S.

I wrote 8 pages for section 3, more than I felt was needed, 4 pages for section 1, more than I felt was needed and 5 pages for section 2 because I had nothing better to do and I thought I'd explore the concept I was working with a little more. It's quality not quantity and I felt depressed seeing the people around me scramble mindlessly to scrawl out as much rote learnt material as they could, gasping for breath as they threw up their hands for another booklet, sorry because I got 44/45 in the trial for AOS with 3, 4 and 6 pages respectively and sorry because the wasted time they spent rehashing unneeded information may have cost them marks in writing what actually needed to be said.

The HSC doesn't promote a work ethic or learning, it promotes memorisation and shady tactics and serves only to create more stress for student, weighting the pig more often doesn't make it heavier. Argh.

princess_rara

sorry that u feel so bad about yourself you feel the need to put down others. No we are not all smart and yes some of us fluke it but you cant help getting lucky! i am not very smart but i feel i went really well today! i think that english would be difficult for someone like you who thinks too much and doesnt seem to have any emotions!
Good luck to all in the upcoming exams i hope everyone does well!!!

HSC
I didn't do well in this section because for the last two years our class has been taught NEVER (and I mean never as we were marked down if we ever did) write an essay with the words: ME, MY, I etc, if it is not a direct quote from a text. You could never write an essay in the first person.

I thought this was really stupid of the Board of Studies to write such a PERSONALISED question.

I didn't do that question in the 1st person. I will probably be marked down because of it. I just couldn't bring myself to write in the 1st person.

If the Board of Studies wanted to ask a question like that, they should have specificed a specific style (non-essay) of writing.

HSC
phatchance said:
The HSC doesn't promote a work ethic or learning, it promotes memorisation and shady tactics and serves only to create more stress for student, weighting the pig more often doesn't make it heavier. Argh.
I agree with you.

The HSC English syllabus is all based around memorising rather than analysing texts. It has nothing to do with an understanding. If you can memorise a few quotes, the meanings of these quotes (told to you by the teacher) and the effect it has on the responder (also told to you by the teacher) then you really just need a photographic memory. The HSC English syllabus promotes the computerised mind, rather than the critical and analyitical mind (which they say they're trying to promote).

Pro Gamer

HSC
phatchance said:
This is why I wish English wasn't compulsory, most of you simply shouldn't be taking it end of story. First person is inappropriate for an essay text type, this is one of the first things you should have learnt in year 7, an essay is meant to be formally structured. Sure they won't 'mark you down' for utilising it in your introduction and conclusion, but if you want to get full marks on the essay and think a personalised rant about the wonderful debt you owe to your English staff for introducing the AOS is going to achieve anything you are sadly mistaken.

Personally I really disliked todays paper, unfortunately the questions were so broad and generic that the hordes of mindless rote learners and tutored, pampered private school children will have walked out with a smile on their faces after rehashing the work they barely understand all over the paper with a few 'juxtapositions' and 'eludications' for good measure. Not to mention after writing a creative piece that failed to link in any way to the stimulus material provided. This whole system makes me sick to my stomach.

Luckily section A will weed out a few of the undeserving, given that you had to have the comprehension skills of a year 7 student to answer the questions, something a large proportion of the state is lacking.

Modules will be much harder than this paper, they will throw a few curve balls and unexpected text types, mark my words. P.S. to anyone that requested a second booklet for the creative or section A, you are a retard. That is all.

Hi-5!

I think today's paper was a kick in the shin for those that didn't have a perfectly set out pre-prepared essay which they've hammered into their head. Wow, you can remember an essay! May you fail miserably at your first job interview.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I think today's paper was deliberately tailored to the memorising kids by the BOS so that when everyone gets really great marks, they can brag about how effective their system is.

philster17

Yeah i agree with you, like first person narrative i think threw alot of people off in the exam and it was a very tricky question in which you had to make reference to yourself, individuals and the world right throughout the response.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I related it to the characters, invididuals, worlds within the texts obviously as it was just another section 3 question with techniques and then mentioned about how it broadens 'our' understanding. I did not write in First person.. that is not an essay, it'll be interesting to see how they mark this.

trivia

novemember
HSC
phatchance said:
First person is inappropriate for an essay text type
Be that as it may, the question didn't actually specify that we write in an essay form. So i don't think anyone should worry if they did use first person throughout, it just means they wrote a personal response. As long as you've still got good analysis, it answers the question.

poodoorfan

gjjmhfj,

i really think it's ok to write in an "I" or a "ME" otherwise if they really didn't want people writing in 1st person they would have put the question more like "how has it shaped PEOPLES understanding" rather than "YOUR" understanding.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
that's very very true poordoorfan. you're absolutely correct. i didn't use 1st person throughout, but at the end of each analysis of each text, i wrote a few lines about how it has shaped my understanding of myself, individuals and the world. it doesn't have to be in 1st person, nor does it have to be in 3rd person, you can write in both because the question does specifically focus on your understanding through journeys.

poodoorfan

ghjhehy

i didn't give mine a name. but the most they could take off is 1 or 2 marks. and the title doesn't really affect the story anyone, i think it's stupid to be marked down for not having a title they didn't specify that one was needed so.........

hsvd_g

Grease Monkey
HSC
Argh crap, i related it to everything but me lol because i figured that if it was an essay you cant include your own personal views like, "I think..."

HSC
phatchance said:

While I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said about the HSC english course, you're quite wrong about the essay.

Have you ever actually read an academic essay or are you just basing it off what your teachers taught you in year 7? First person is actually quite frequently used. Infact, I'm reading a essay on Yeats's "The Second Coming" aligning it with Nietzschaen philosophy right now and it uses first person quite extensively.

Having said that, I only used 1st person sparingly in the introduction and conclusion to tie it in with the question, really no need for it in the analysis. A personal rant on the wonderful benefits of the Area of Study course is of course absurdly stupid.

Why should English not be compulsory because most people are bad at it? If anything, that should strengthen the case for compulsory English. Though unfortunately having a course which favours rote-learned buzzwords and catch phrases over critical analysis and grammatical fundamentals doesn't help the situation.

Last edited:

belleree98

phatchance said:
Oh P.S.

I wrote 8 pages for section 3, more than I felt was needed, 4 pages for section 1, more than I felt was needed and 5 pages for section 2 because I had nothing better to do and I thought I'd explore the concept I was working with a little more. It's quality not quantity and I felt depressed seeing the people around me scramble mindlessly to scrawl out as much rote learnt material as they could, gasping for breath as they threw up their hands for another booklet, sorry because I got 44/45 in the trial for AOS with 3, 4 and 6 pages respectively and sorry because the wasted time they spent rehashing unneeded information may have cost them marks in writing what actually needed to be said.

You are brilliant!! My sentiments exactly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)