• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How did you guys write 1000 words in 40 minutes? (1 Viewer)

lukefraser2

HSC
Hi guys, I am just curious how can you guys write about 1000 words in 40 minutes?
Even I tried to just copy the essay directly in full speed, I cannot exceed 930 words.
So, I didnt finish all questions in the trial.

How many words do you guys write in the trial per essay?
And how many words should we write for each essay in exam condition?

:spzz:

barbernator

HSC
800+ is what you should aim for. I can write 1150 in 40 mins if im writing absolute flat out, but in exam conditions i get about 900-950

Last edited:

lukefraser2

HSC
Did you change your font in tirial? I started messy writings to write quicker, but still very slow.

barbernator

HSC
it gets a little bit more messy of course, but still legible. Its very strange that you can only write 930 words in 40 minutes, are you sure that is correct? if so, just write heaps and heaps to practice

lukefraser2

HSC
Absolutely, I timed myself before the trial. Hands won't go any faster :(

deswa1

HSC
Absolutely, I timed myself before the trial. Hands won't go any faster :(
Some people obviously write slower than others. If you practice, I reckon you'd improve quite a bit. However, given that you know that you are a slower writer, make all of your essays shorter etc. to take this into account. Make sure that you can finish the paper at YOUR writing speed, not mine or barb's etc. because you're the one writing.

barbernator

HSC
Some people obviously write slower than others. If you practice, I reckon you'd improve quite a bit. However, given that you know that you are a slower writer, make all of your essays shorter etc. to take this into account. Make sure that you can finish the paper at YOUR writing speed, not mine or barb's etc. because you're the one writing.
this. and also, make sure you put conclusions on all your essays regardless if you don't get all your body paras down. Its better to get an even spread of words across all 3 essays rather than bulking on 2 and lean on the third, so even time the essays 40 mins each +- maybe 2 mins

deswa1

HSC
How many words do you guys write in the trial per essay? Around 1,100-1,200
And how many words should we write for each essay in exam condition? Depends on your writing speed, quality etc. I'd probs recommend essays around 1000-1050 but if you can write fast and adapt to questions quickly etc., maybe go for more. You could do less as well- the HSC recommends at LEAST 800 words

RishBonjour

HSC
do you guys do cursive or print?
I can't do cursive - max I can do with print is like 1100 in 40 - with atrocious hand writing - just legible.

deswa1

HSC
do you guys do cursive or print?
I can't do cursive - max I can do with print is like 1100 in 40 - with atrocious hand writing - just legible.
Print. My cursive looks retarded and I also print faster than I can do cursive.

Sindivyn

HSC
Generally copying an essay out will take longer than writing it out once you've memorized it (or whatever your preference is).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
In standard my essays were 850 words MAX and I got 86 (17/20 average). Yay

lolcakes52

HSC
practice, its more like 1250 more me. JUST WRITE WITH A HEAVIER PEN UNTIL THE EXAM.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
How did you structure your responses then? Large focus on techniques/context/etc?
Mostly intro, para 1, para 2, conclusion.

But the paragraphs were like a page to a page and a half each.

Yeah, massive focus on techniques and quotes and their effect.

In standard that's like your main thing.

The extra airy fairy shit is only supposed to be in their if your basic shit is already amazing, and I couldn't fit in the airy fairy stuff, plus, I'm not that good at it.

Sindivyn

HSC
Mostly intro, para 1, para 2, conclusion.

But the paragraphs were like a page to a page and a half each.

Yeah, massive focus on techniques and quotes and their effect.

In standard that's like your main thing.

The extra airy fairy shit is only supposed to be in their if your basic shit is already amazing, and I couldn't fit in the airy fairy stuff, plus, I'm not that good at it.
Ah, thanks. Will just keep practicing what I'm doing then :).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah, thanks. Will just keep practicing what I'm doing then :).
But if you want higher than 86 you should probs work on your vocabulary and sophistication.

It's not like other sections brought me down or anything, my marks were:

Paper 1
Unseen - 14/15
Creative - 11/15
Belonging Essay (The Crucible) - 10/15

Paper 2
Distinctively Visual (Maestro) - 17/20
Close Study of Text (War Poems and others by Wilfred Owen) - 17.5/20
Into the World (Billy Elliot) - 16.5/20 (This was probably the worst into the world essay I'd written so I was surprised. My related text was shit as fuck)

Sindivyn

HSC
But if you want higher than 86 you should probs work on your vocabulary and sophistication.

It's not like other sections brought me down or anything, my marks were:

Paper 1
Unseen - 14/15
Creative - 11/15
Belonging Essay (The Crucible) - 10/15

Paper 2
Distinctively Visual (Maestro) - 17/20
Close Study of Text (War Poems and others by Wilfred Owen) - 17.5/20
Into the World (Billy Elliot) - 16.5/20 (This was probably the worst into the world essay I'd written so I was surprised. My related text was shit as fuck)
Would you recommend memorizing essays to increase sophistication/vocab - I've started to do it and noticed the flow of my essays is improving.
Those raw marks put it into perspective though - doesn't seem impossible to get a band 6 external.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Would you recommend memorizing essays to increase sophistication/vocab - I've started to do it and noticed the flow of my essays is improving.
Those raw marks put it into perspective though - doesn't seem impossible to get a band 6 external.
I dunno. I didn't really memorise my responses but do whatever you can to do well.

Yeah… you pretty much need 90 to get 90.

Section 1 is easy to get 15/15 in if you aren't shit.
Section 2 is good if you're creative.
Section 3 is a bit more difficult because you have to write at an advanced level. But getting 10-12/15 shouldn't be a struggle for the top standard students.

You could get 100% on this paper if you did well enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)