How do i do English Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
What do you learn in English Extension 2?

I'm in year 10 atm, and i want to do English Extension 2.

Is it true that to do English Extension 2, i must do English Advanced, English Extension 1 and then i'm only allowed to do English extension 2?

I heard that in Ex 2 English, its just assessments and no exams - is this true?

please fill me in - thanks =)

sunsettah

HSC
You have to be really good at english, so you have to obviously be in advanced english.

Extension 2 is only a year 12 subject, and to do Ext2 in year 12 you have to have done Ext1 in year 11.

Then in year 12, you are eligible to do Ext2.

Year 11 you will do Advanced English and Ext1.

Then in year 12 you will have 3 English classes, Adv English, Ext1 and Ext2.

All 3 seperate things.

Extension 1 has exams, extension 2 has no exams, you have assessment tasks and you work on your major body of work.

It's really intense, and for that year to do well you have to sacrifice a fair lot of your social life.

gurusson

HSC
4u english is similar 2 4u naths in that it can destroy ue social life, if u are really good at english, like n97% and above in sc, then do 4u

sunsettah

HSC
Learn? Um you study writing techniques and the in-depth parts of creating a body of work etc.

SUPERANNEDREW

HSC
i do 4u math and i still have a social life LOL

social life with many other 4u math ppl.... we have frequent epic talks about math ......
L O L.
Yeah...I tend to stick to other 4u english people and we have epic whinges about how much of our draft is embarrasingly pathetic and how noone understands us..

:( HSC is fun.

The whole only three assessments and no exams thing sounds sweet, and it does help lighten your load for the trials and final HSC test, but the amount of stressing that goes into preparing for those assessments..ergh..

You tend to shove your major work aside and do hw/study for your other subjects...but THIS IS BAD :|

Once you've figured out the shape your concept is going to take though, its actually a pretty fun subject..if you have enough dedication in you..

People cast ext2 off as whatever cuz you spend the whole time just writing a story..but you don't know just how much goes into it until you do it.

Ext 1 actually shits me more than Ext2. If you end up doing it, and get navigating the global as the topic...God help you..

Hope this helped! :)
Good luck with the choices..AND ENJOY YEAR TEN for the love of Jebus.

LordPc

HSC
4u english is similar 2 4u naths in that it can destroy ue social life, if u are really good at english, like n97% and above in sc, then do 4u
completely wrong. SC involves skill but also a good deal of luck, its multiple choice so on one day you could get 85 with poor guesses and get 95 the next day with good guesses.

and as already stated, you need to do english extension 1 and advanced english to do english extension 2 in year 12. you dont have an exam for EE2, but it involves a great deal of work. and also keep in mind the stressing on the assignments that you hand in for EE2, especially when you hand in your finished major work is incredibly stressful which is pretty much the same stress levels you reach when you have hsc exams on

astroe

HSC
I do 4u English, AND I have a social life.
But on the downside I've actually not done much and my Viva Voce is this WEEK.

= Dead.

Hm, I don't know why you're planning so far ahead.
Take one step at a time.

raceryt

HSC
does anybody here do 4u english and 4u maths?
i got 94 in SC is that acceptable for me to do 4u english?

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
does anybody here do 4u english and 4u maths?
i got 94 in SC is that acceptable for me to do 4u english?
I did four units of English and Maths and I managed a social life just fine.

I kind of disagree with people who say that 4U English is really intense. It's as hard as you want to make it. There will be times of panic and frenzied work and there will be moments of laid-back zen and it completely depends on your style as a writer as to how stressed you'll get during the process. As long as you pick something good in the beginning and don't change your mind like crazy you're doing okay though. Plus it's all done by the end of August and then that's a unit in the bag. So the stress is worth it.

School certificate scores are totally irrelevant to your HSC subjects. Do 4U a) if you want to, b) if you think you can handle it, c) if you're doing well in Extension 1 and d) if your teacher doesn't laugh in your face when you suggest you might like to give it a go.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hey, I do both too! =D

EX2 is an awesome subject - I think it should be the actual compulsory English subject because it actually measures *gasp* English skills! No frigging techniques, no imaginary theories, it's plain and simple - write something you like, research it, submit it - we measure how good your English levels are.

Of course there are huge logistical problems... but it's either marking proper English, or ruining every movie every HSC student will see from henceforth with a little light in the back of their mind thinking, "Must... find... techniques..."

Anyways, I find it awesomely fun because I get to write something I like - none of this stupid Belonging crap which is forced upon me, Textual Dynamics in EX1 is fun because that too gives us in the creative section of the EX1 paper to go from any genre we like.

The only thing to stress is journals and these sheets my teacher handed me which point to, "You have to start your journal completely again".

Writing is fun though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)