• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do I drop Maths 2 Unit without my Mum potentially killing me? :( (1 Viewer)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Subjects I am definitely keeping for Year 12:
* English Advanced (1st in Grade)
* English Extension 1 (1st in Grade)
* Legal Studies (1st in Grade)
* Economics (2nd in Grade)

Subjects I am considering taking up/dropping (I am only dropping one):

Maybe taking up:
English Extension 2 (I really want to do this subject, but I will have to drop another subject in order to do it)

Maybe dropping:
* Chemistry (I like it, and studying for it is not too hard - I get roughly 70% in the exams or 10th in the grade)
* Biology (I get around 75% each exam and also around 10th in the grade - though there are 3 times more people doing Biology compared to Chemistry)
* Mathematics 2 Unit (I really want to drop this because it is my worst subject. I don't mind it too much though, and studying for it is okay but I just can't be bothered working on maths. It's not that interesting to me. I get 55 - 65% each exam and that's roughly the exact middle-average of the class).

My Mum is a maths teacher and I've asked her this at least three time before if I could possibly drop maths and we've always ended up in fights... does anyone have any idea of what I should say to her to convince her to let me pick my own subjects?

Or should I be keeping maths and dropping another subject? Thanks so much.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ethanescence said:

Maybe taking up:
English Extension 2 (I really want to do this subject, but I will have to drop another subject in order to do it)

Maybe dropping:
* Chemistry (I like it, and studying for it is not too hard - I get roughly 70% in the exams or 10th in the grade)
* Biology (I get around 75% each exam and also around 10th in the grade - though there are 3 times more people doing Biology compared to Chemistry)
* Mathematics 2 Unit (I really want to drop this because it is my worst subject. I don't mind it too much though, and studying for it is okay but I just can't be bothered working on maths. It's not that interesting to me. I get 55 - 65% each exam and that's roughly the exact middle-average of the class).

My Mum is a maths teacher and I've asked her this at least three time before if I could possibly drop maths and we've always ended up in fights... does anyone have any idea of what I should say to her to convince her to let me pick my own subjects?

Wow...are you serious? Explain to her slowly why you should drop maths...refer that back to your UAI.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Ethanescence said:

Maybe taking up:

Maybe dropping:

You need to be calm but firm. Tell her it is you're decision and while you appreciate her advice, ultimatly, you know your strengths and weaknesess best. Tell her you want to do the best you possibly can in your HSC and that is why you want to drop maths. Don't resort to name calling.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
If you can, link the career adviser to your mum and let her/him explain to your mum what's the best path for YOU.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
wow sorry but i would keep maths and either chemistry and maths, and get that much help from mum.

But i say go with what you feel without telling her, tell her its yourlife not hers and tell her if she wants to be maths freak your the opposite and an english freak just like me

monesh

HSC
wow...it would suck hard if she was your teacher given back those marks man.....'nice score son, no dinner tonight for you' :p

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
marcquelle said:
wow sorry but i would keep maths and either chemistry and maths, and get that much help from mum.

But i say go with what you feel without telling her, tell her its yourlife not hers and tell her if she wants to be maths freak your the opposite and an english freak just like me
"mum, im sorry i dont want to be a math freak like you, i want to be an english freak like that guy on the internet, Marcquelle"

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
-may-cat- said:
"mum, im sorry i dont want to be a math freak like you, i want to be an english freak like that guy on the internet, Marcquelle"
Is he? I would go for bobness.

ratcher0071

HSC
Do a Russell Peters. "F u mum" lol :D

and then hope you don't end out on the streets. :(

EDIT: Don't do it, otherwise you'd be dead.

Last edited:

Linee

HSC
Ethanescence said:
Just tell her you are the English nerd type person. It is obvious just looking at your ranks in English, Legal Studies and Economics.
LOL it's funny to know that your mother is a Maths teacher

ANTMfan91

HSC
Well first off all you need to check whether your uni course actually needs Maths, and also the UAI you need for it.
That's how I explained dropping Maths to my mum and she was fine. Admittedly she isn't a Maths teacher and seems a little bit easier then yours, but if you explain to her that it is your worst subject and if you don't need it for uni then she should understand.

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
dont tell her.
lol!!

hmm, if you keep maths your mum can help you and you'll probably end up doing pretty good anyway. However, if maths isn't really for you, just tell her that its not your strong point and that you'll benefit from not doing it as you'll do better in subjects you enjoy.:argue:

ANTMfan91

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
dont tell her.
haha I don't think that works because she has to sign off on the subject change right? At least you have to get a parent signature for subject changes at our school (including dropping)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
I would keep maths if i were you.

Your mother is a maths teacher! She would definitely help you do well in maths wouldn't she?

Like i have a friend who is doing all three sciences like me because her father is a HSC tutor in physics, chemistry, biology and all levels of maths but then again she was interested in those subjects herself probably because her dad was a good tutor.
Imagine having a tutor at home who your parents won't have to pay a cent for them to teach you. Imagine a tutor who is willing to help you and wants you to do well.

Just think about it.:)

ratcher0071

HSC
dux&src said:
I would keep maths if i were you.

Your mother is a maths teacher! She would definitely help you do well in maths wouldn't she?

Like i have a friend who is doing all three sciences like me because her father is a HSC tutor in physics, chemistry, biology and all levels of maths but then again she was interested in those subjects herself probably because her dad was a good tutor.
Imagine having a tutor at home who your parents won't have to pay a cent for them to teach you. Imagine a tutor who is willing to help you and wants you to do well.

Just think about it.:)
That'd be so cool :D

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
she's going blow for having a kid who does badly in maths when she is a maths teacher. But you could try to keep nagging her. good luck

RocKetBoy

HSC
im sure u'll be able to convince her with your english skills of persuasion lol.
if not....make a petition =) lmfao. gudluk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)