How do I get a 91+ ATAR with these subjects? (1 Viewer)

huangwenhao

HSC
I want to get a 91+ ATAR so I can get into engineering at unsw. I am currently in Year 11. My school doesn't do very well in the HSC with on average only 5 people getting 90s ATAR and 10 people getting into university every year. In my year this year we only have about 30 students. What marks do I need to get in my subjects, with the fact that my school scales down a lot?

These are my subjects:

Standard English
Advanced Mathematics 2 Unit
Mathematics Extension 1 3 Unit
Physics
Chemistry
Business Studies
Modern History

Yes, in my school you have to do 2 Unit Maths to do 3 Unit or 4 unit Maths. So what marks do I need for all my subjects in the HSC to get 91+ ATAR?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Standard English
Advanced Mathematics 2 Unit
Mathematics Extension 1 3 Unit
Physics
Chemistry
Business Studies
Modern History
Mathematics: Top 2-3
Mathematic Extension 1: Top 5-6
Physics: Top 4-5
Chemistry: Top 4-5
Business Studies: Top 1-2
Modern History: Top 2-3

Yes, in my school you have to do 2 Unit Maths to do 3 Unit or 4 unit Maths. So what marks do I need for all my subjects in the HSC to get 91+ ATAR?
You do realise that 3/4 Unit is built on top of 2 Unit?

If you plan on doing Extension 2, you might want to drop a subject (or even 2 subjects).

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Which subjects do you like the most?

or

Which subjects are you best at?

RishBonjour

HSC
lol. wish I was asking questions like that in year 11.

Try get above 85 in all your subs, and possibly band 6s in maths, should do it.

judging by your description, your school sounds horrible (mine isn't any better) so maintain your ranks, try and top your subjects

IMO self study is much better than having unqualified teachers teach you bullshit in class. Make sure you are up to date!

(tip: don't get on BOS the day before you have a test, you can use me as an example as I'm going to fail tommorow)

good luck

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If there are only 30 people in your grade, could you disclose information regarding how many people are in each of your subjects?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You'd be needing 1st or 2nd in your subjects as I imagine many of your subjects are quite small. (Your school's not super academic, so I don't think they would be many people out of 30 in MX1)

huangwenhao

HSC
Why not change from Standard to Advanced English?
I can't change from Standard to Advanced English because our school doesn't offer Advanced English because no one got band 6 in the school certificate in english.

SunnyScience

HSC
I can't change from Standard to Advanced English because our school doesn't offer Advanced English because no one got band 6 in the school certificate in english.
This in insane. One person got a band 6 in English for the SC, yet in year 11 we had two full ADV classes (no reduced to one class). School certificate English is a completely different ball game. With standard English, your changes of getting about 90+ just became increasingly harder, but not impossible

huangwenhao

HSC
If there are only 30 people in your grade, could you disclose information regarding how many people are in each of your subjects?
Well, in Standard English we have about 20 students.
In 2 Unit Advanced Mathematics we have about 12 students.
In 3 Unit Extension 1 Mathematics we have about 8 students.
In Physics we have about 20 students.
In Chemistry we have about 14 students.
In Business Studies we have about 22 students.
In Modern History we have about 16 students.

huangwenhao

HSC
This in insane. One person got a band 6 in English for the SC, yet in year 11 we had two full ADV classes (no reduced to one class). School certificate English is a completely different ball game. With standard English, your changes of getting about 90+ just became increasingly harder, but not impossible
Well I've been looking for another school lately and I'm hoping to move by the end of the first semester so I can get Advanced English instead of Standard English and also Economics and Legal Studies instead of Business Studies and Modern History.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I've been looking for another school lately and I'm hoping to move by the end of the first semester so I can get Advanced English instead of Standard English and also Economics and Legal Studies instead of Business Studies and Modern History.
Don't move to a school that will determine your subjects by past peformance. I'm stuck in standard and I got an 85 in SC, the school said its 90+ for a chance at advanced so yeah

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well if you want to do those subjects more, and you can do the level of English you want at the new school, it might be good to move...esp if it performs better.

At your current school, you'd probably be wanting to come 1st/2nd in every subject. Maybe top 3 in business because it's a bigger subject.

theycallmebob

HSC
keep modern, it rocks.

also, its a pretty bad idea to change after a term I think. I did for french and I found it really hard to catch up

huangwenhao

HSC
keep modern, it rocks.

also, its a pretty bad idea to change after a term I think. I did for french and I found it really hard to catch up
Nah actually I'm applying after first semester but I'm applying for Year 12 after Term 3 this year.

huangwenhao

HSC
Well hopefully homebush boys or sefton high school, if not arthur phillip high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)