How do I get an "A" grade without reading my texts (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
hi i have done this because i did not want to read a 300 page poem from the 17th century
Look up the main themes, look up quotes. Make sure you have your thesis and some profound things about whatever you are writing about- which can be obtained online. E.g. if its discovery, already have an idea on what you think discovery is (read rubric). Then just talk about how the quote illustrates the deep ideas. If you have written some really profound things in a previous essay, feel free to reuse it (if it fits), because things like "humanity's dual nature" are really generic and can be applied to almost anything. I got a 14/15 by doing this so yes it is possible
Would be a pain in the arse to do that lol

Anyways thanks for the advice

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well, that's good to hear and I respect that (your opinion only comprises a minority of the state though). But the whole point I was getting at was whilst all subjects (admittedly) promote critical thinking to some extent, in the context of the HSC, memorising is seen as the easy way out and it normally work outs nicely. There are exceptions to this where people survived on 'critical thinking' and did well relative to other students, but rote learning is sadly a part of the HSC and I can't picture a way the syllabus can be changed to totally limit this. There is simply knowledge that must be known.
Everyone rote learns english Hawkrider (to some extent)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
"Some are almost entirety rote" - which would naturally include a bit of critical thinking, and that contradicts you saying "not all subjects promote critical thinking to any degree", so I don't see how that undermines my original point. :p

Anyways, back to the actual premise of this thread, OP on top of getting an understanding of the themes and characters of the texts - be that through reading them or brushing over them - ensure that this is complimented by continual practice by responding to past questions (whether that's writing an entire essay on the spot or writing introductions and topic sentences).
Thanks Hawk

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
That's actually a great idea though I don't really like audiobooks so much as I seem to lose track from time to time and movies...well it's hard to exactly quote them so yeah. The thing is I already fcked up my first 2 prelim assessments for english but I really wanna do well in my next ones but don't wanna read the text (but at the same time I'm thinking I have to read the text because I don't wanna risk not reading the text and doing the assessment when I've already screwed up 2 prelim assessments)
Whatever works, I listen to audio books lots, eg. long car trips (oh joy =l) and when I want a break from everything but without actually reading cause I'm lazy. I pulled 50% all through yr11, but have managed to pick up marks (to about 80%...our adv. class is stupidly smart tho) through really looking at the feedback I was given and what the marking criteria was and that, for every subject's assessment that's your best friend. So it's not all over, just gotta work hard

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
you know, I'm actually really really really geniunely curious as to what ATAR eyeseeyou will get

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
you know, I'm actually really really really geniunely curious as to what ATAR eyeseeyou will get
How about you mind your own business and worry about yourself. You trials is coming up within 2-3 months time and you're still worrying about other people. WTF is your problem. Worry about yourself not other okay. Holy shit wtf is wrong with you Nailgun?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
How about you mind your own business and worry about yourself. You trials is coming up within 2-3 months time and you're still worrying about other people. WTF is your problem. Worry about yourself not other okay. Holy shit wtf is wrong with you Nailgun?
I think I'm in love with you

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Why do you want to see him fail?
Coz he's an arsehole who can't mind his own business. Farrr I hate him so much. Can't even mind his own business and can't do simple little things like worry about himself and how he's doing in school rather than worrying about what ATAR other ppl would get

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Coz he's an arsehole who can't mind his own business. Farrr I hate him so much. Can't even mind his own business and can't do simple little things like worry about himself and how he's doing in school rather than worrying about what ATAR other ppl would get
I'm guessing he does mind his own business.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Then y do you think he's worried about others Integrand (rather than worrying about himself)?
I said he does mind his own business – I didn't say though that's the only thing he does.

(Plus, most of the things he said were in jest.)

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I said he does mind his own business – I didn't say though that's the only thing he does.
Well his "curiosity" bothers me and pisses me off. If I told him to stop, he probably wouldn't stop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)