How do I get an "A" grade without reading my texts (1 Viewer)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I hate english and I hate reading texts. Could anyone please give me advice on how to scrape an "A" grade mark for my english assessments without reading my texts

Thanks in advance
You don't. I can understand if you read most of it. But you won't get anything higher than about about a high B if you don't read it.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
You don't. I can understand if you read most of it. But you won't get anything higher than about about a high B if you don't read it.
This is true. 16/20 will usually be your peak, you can hit 17/18 if you really try though.

Yeungster

HSC
I hate english and I hate reading texts. Could anyone please give me advice on how to scrape an "A" grade mark for my english assessments without reading my texts

Thanks in advance
get notes off published textbooks with ur text in it e.g excel guides (not the best but r ok), others

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Nah I'm probably gonna have to read my texts given that I'm not so strong at english (compared to my cohort)

severus snake

HSC
ive never read a prescribed text in my life

just ask ur mates wat its about

and skim through it to find techniques and bs your way to an A

Last edited:

UNSWStudent

HSC
I didn't read any of my texts, just used sample essays and google and got 92 in English Advanced. I put in a lot of work and effort into it regardless.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Deeply disappoints me that people do this. English is about fostering a relationship with English literature and its influences not only superficially in the artistic sense, but in the political and philosophical.

From a purely academic perspective. If you do the same amount of work as someone, and they read the book, and you don't. My money is on the one who reads it nine times out of ten. Take the book with you everywhere and every opportunity you get, read a little. Most of my reading gets done on the bus (granted I have a long trip).
I don't hate everything in english, I hate mainly the AOS since it's so hard to prepare for and I hate reading boring texts

But don't worry, what I really hate the most is humanities since they are so boring (I'd prefer english over that). Death to humanities

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
'I hate English and I hate reading texts'-unless you change this attitude, you will need a miracle to get an A, because simply put, sure you can adopt some of the above suggestions such as reading other people's critiques/essays and essentially either making up ideas or copying, but you will never be able to do that sufficiently to a high standard if you don't even like English at all-how are you going to have the patience to connect ideas and link them and then remember them with this attitude? Change your attitude, and then maybe you have a chance, and frankly, to expect getting a high mark without putting a decent amount of effort in is a really bad and more importantly, unrealistic attitude to adopt that won't serve you that well at all later on in life beyond your HSC.

Note: If you are unwilling to change your attitude, perhaps your only hope is to find an extremely engaging English tutor or an otherwise moderately expensive one so that you will actually listen and not want to waste the money your parents spend on the tutor if you share that consciousness.
Like I said, I don't hate everything in english, I hate the AOS b/c its so hard to prepare for. WHat I really hate though is fcking humanities and how fcking boring they are. OMFG kill me already, can't stand how boring humanities are (tbh I'd rather English over humantities)

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You know that English technically is considered a type of humanities discipline, right?
No not really, only the contextual and background information is (but that's a minor part in english). Also if english is considered a humanities discipline then why would schools have to split up into their own humanities/social science faculty and english faculty?

Also all this fcking economics, legal studies, business studies, modern/ancient history bullcrap is so fcking boring. I'm not even joking, they even scale crap (with the exception of modern history, economics and history extension) and not worth doing

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
I don't hate everything in english, I hate mainly the AOS since it's so hard to prepare for and I hate reading boring texts

But don't worry, what I really hate the most is humanities since they are so boring (I'd prefer english over that). Death to humanities
I think reading the texts at the beginning sucked for me. But after reading the analysis on the texts, it actually made the prescribed texts so much more interesting to me because I was given a much more profound perspective than the shallow ideas I had before! Especially for the Shakespeare texts. It's actually so amazing the ideas that people can obtain from these texts, whether the author initially intended for it or not LOL

I would actually say that the AOS is easiest to prepare for, compared to the other modules! I'm not sure if you're doing HSC this year or not, but if you are, then the Q for the AOS would most likely be a dot point in the syllabus changed into a question! It's only when the AOS has been used over many years, would you be concerned that they might throw a curve balled Q. Molding the creative shouldn't be too bad as long as your creative is versatile and for short answers, you just have to practise! You can't really do much other than practise.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
How do I get an "A" grade without reading my texts

No not really, only the contextual and background information is (but that's a minor part in english). Also if english is considered a humanities discipline then why would schools have to split up into their own humanities/social science faculty and english faculty?

Also all this fcking economics, legal studies, business studies, modern/ancient history bullcrap is so fcking boring. I'm not even joking, they even scale crap (with the exception of modern history, economics and history extension) and not worth doing
It's subjective. Everyone likes different things,

Boring = not worth doing ? I think not :p

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I think reading the texts at the beginning sucked for me. But after reading the analysis on the texts, it actually made the prescribed texts so much more interesting to me because I was given a much more profound perspective than the shallow ideas I had before! Especially for the Shakespeare texts. It's actually so amazing the ideas that people can obtain from these texts, whether the author initially intended for it or not LOL

I would actually say that the AOS is easiest to prepare for, compared to the other modules! I'm not sure if you're doing HSC this year or not, but if you are, then the Q for the AOS would most likely be a dot point in the syllabus changed into a question! It's only when the AOS has been used over many years, would you be concerned that they might throw a curve balled Q. Molding the creative shouldn't be too bad as long as your creative is versatile and for short answers, you just have to practise! You can't really do much other than practise.
Thanks for de advice Authenticity

And imo no, the AOS is the hardest to prepare for given that you have a short answer response, creative writing task and an essay and whatever they could ask could be so broad, you don't even know what the're going to ask you. All praticing does is get you comfortable with the style and structure of the question they throw at you however at the end of the day, the exam's about how you prepare for what's in the exam and unfortunately since english is a very broad subject, it is very difficult to prepare for the exam. For other subjects like maths, physics and chemistry its easier since it's not as broad as english

Also how would you know that the english exams are going to be a dotpoint in the english syllabus?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Re: How do I get an "A" grade without reading my texts

It's subjective. Everyone likes different things,

Boring = not worth doing ? I think not :p
Okay I guess that's true but for me, I cannot fcking stand how boring humanities are. Even people who are so obsessed with humanities annoy me (no offense bandsixfix)

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Thanks for de advice Authenticity

And imo no, the AOS is the hardest to prepare for given that you have a short answer response, creative writing task and an essay and whatever they could ask could be so broad, you don't even know what the're going to ask you. All praticing does is get you comfortable with the style and structure of the question they throw at you however at the end of the day, the exam's about how you prepare for what's in the exam and unfortunately since english is a very broad subject, it is very difficult to prepare for the exam. For other subjects like maths, physics and chemistry its easier since it's not as broad as english

Also how would you know that the english exams are going to be a dotpoint in the english syllabus?
I said that the AOS would probably be and I say this because it's only the second (and last?) year of discovery. When I did discovery, most people (teachers, students and tutors with handy connections lol) predicted it would be a dot point worded into a question. It feels like BOSTES is testing the waters? They're not going to throw a curved ball Q. Obviously it's a big assumption to think that they'll do that this year too. But my guess is that they won't give a really hard Q.

I personally feel like mod A, B and C are open to more styles of Q. Especially B for Hamlet, there were so many areas that need to be covered (not just themes). It's probably just me, but I liked short answer only because it didn't involve me memorising chunks and chunks of stuff!

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Re: How do I get an "A" grade without reading my texts

Okay I guess that's true but for me, I cannot fcking stand how boring humanities are. Even people who are so obsessed with humanities annoy me (no offense bandsixfix)
O h

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I said that the AOS would probably be and I say this because it's only the second (and last?) year of discovery. When I did discovery, most people (teachers, students and tutors with handy connections lol) predicted it would be a dot point worded into a question. It feels like BOSTES is testing the waters? They're not going to throw a curved ball Q. Obviously it's a big assumption to think that they'll do that this year too. But my guess is that they won't give a really hard Q.

I personally feel like mod A, B and C are open to more styles of Q. Especially B for Hamlet, there were so many areas that need to be covered (not just themes). It's probably just me, but I liked short answer only because it didn't involve me memorising chunks and chunks of stuff!
You r the complete opposite of me lol b/c I view that discovery can be expressed in millions of different ways and not so much the modules

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)